Official Dean Britt

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As the game went on last night I was quite confident that Parra would not crack our line no matter how big their team is
I really felt like we had their measure,Moses was shut down big time
Our halves need to create more and too many one out runs by our forwards late in the tackle count which came to nothing
Remi needs some early ball in my opinion,he will ok
I agree. I felt pre game that if we keep them out for the first 20 we would win. I thought at half time it was set up for Brandon to take control like he did in the Sharks trial.. the worst part about the loss is the fact that we did enough to win but the difference was a damn deflected kick

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I felt pre game that if we keep them out for the first 20 we would win. I thought at half time it was set up for Brandon to take control like he did in the Sharks trial.. the worst part about the loss is the fact that we did enough to win but the difference was a damn deflected kick
The deflection was bad luck I suppose but we had more than enough chances in good field position to score points
I’m really not sure what happen to Brandon last night
I hope it was only round 1 nerves

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The deflection was bad luck I suppose but we had more than enough chances in good field position to score points
I’m really not sure what happen to Brandon last night
I hope it was only round 1 nerves

RFM dropping that sitter did not help matters either.. but yea, at the end of the day, we just didn't have any attack because the team did enough to win. I think things could have been different if Brandon was able to build his game after producing that drop out in the first half, but Lachlan was just in the way for the rest of the night

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM dropping that sitter did not help matters either.. but yea, at the end of the day, we just didn't have any attack because the team did enough to win. I think things could have been different if Brandon was able to build his game after producing that drop out in the first half, but Lachlan was just in the way for the rest of the night
Well it’s over so let’s hope for an improved effort in attack next week
The pressure will be on and high expectation playing at home next Thursday
I’m confident that we will win.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I liked Britt's game last night, obviously not the finished product but has that aggressive streak which we need.
Hopefully he'll improve week to week.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That RFM drop was huge! He catches that and we have a seven tackle set instead he drops it and Parra get the winning try.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That RFM drop was huge! He catches that and we have a seven tackle set instead he drops it and Parra get the winning try.
100%.. gotta feel for him because he had a solid game and a lot of other forwards would not have even been there to begin with and potentially a Parra player could have

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The boy played well and will continually improve. Looks a little nervous in the presentation, maybe it was just him trying not to get emotional.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't see him as a standout player last night. Our whole pack was good and Britt was no exception. They laid a good foundation. The only times Parra got into our red zone was off penalties or errors. Even our much maligned edge defence was close to flawless. Unfortunately we fell short with finishing.

Britt will hopefully show more of his ability to offload through the season. He attempted one from about 6 feet from the Parra line that went forward when he had three defenders on him. So hopefully he gets some good ones away in the coming weeks. The fact that he wasn't trying it willy nilly when we weren't in good attacking position is a plus. I used to love his dad's ability to throw a good offload and they were generally well directed and useful. Hopefully Dean throws them with similar composure. Kasiano could pop off an offload, but they increasingly became hail mary passes that left us in trouble.

I'm glad that we've got a second generation Bulldog in the side. Hopefully his signing pays dividends.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Have any of our fans and administrators got some fire in the belly and hunger to succeed?
Of course on both fronts.
I don’t know anyone who thinks that settling for mediocrity is acceptable.
But we’ve always had to be realistic about our path back from salary cap hell and the plans for 2021 and beyond will say a lot about that.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course on both fronts.
I don’t know anyone who thinks that settling for mediocrity is acceptable.
But we’ve always had to be realistic about our path back from salary cap hell and the plans for 2021 and beyond will say a lot about that.
It's been a year... champions don't make excuses. You go out a find a way to win no matter what the circumstances. That used to be the hallmark of our club. Sadly, that mentality seems gone now

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's been a year... champions don't make excuses. You go out a find a way to win no matter what the circumstances. That used to be the hallmark of our club. Sadly, that mentality seems gone now
I wish it were that simple given the hole we were placed in.
I'm happy to give the club until mid-2021 before I judge them as I've said many times on here.
By then we are in clear air cap wise, we should have recruited some quality players for 2021 - we will see about the coaching and the board will be facing another election in early 2022.
Plenty of work to to in between now and then - until then my expectations are measured.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish it were that simple given the hole we were placed in.
I'm happy to give the club until mid-2021 before I judge them as I've said many times on here.
By then we are in clear air cap wise, we should have recruited some quality players for 2021 - we will see about the coaching and the board will be facing another election in early 2022.
Plenty of work to to in between now and then - until then my expectations are measured.
Nah mate, in a job you got to get results no matter the circumstances. I'm not settling for 2021. As if luke Thompson will be the messiah by himself... and what happened to our never say die mentality? Finding a way to win with our attitude and sheer will? Where did that go?

Look at what Pay's done so far.. does that instill any confidence that he'll get it right when it he had star players? One out footy, plodding it up. We went backwards from dessie. Dont blame dessie forever. He took manly to the finals first year back. The attack was a shambles last night, and the likes of the chooks and raiders would have put 20 or 30 on us

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nah mate, in a job you got to get results no matter the circumstances. I'm not settling for 2021. As if luke Thompson will be the messiah by himself... and what happened to our never say die mentality? Finding a way to win with our attitude and sheer will? Where did that go?

Look at what Pay's done so far.. does that instill any confidence that he'll get it right when it he had star players? One out footy, plodding it up. We went backwards from dessie. Dont blame dessie forever. He took manly to the finals first year back. The attack was a shambles last night, and the likes of the chooks and raiders would have put 20 or 30 on us
I never said Thompson alone will be any sort of panacea. There are 4-5 key recruitments we need to make for 2021 and I believe they'll be announced in the coming months. We have the money for 2021 that we don't for 2020 - that's well known.
I thought our attitude last night was great. We got beaten by a team who are at the very least Top-4 favourites (though didn't show it last night) and it was a soft try - we were in it all night. Many were predicting we'd get a touch up last night and we didn't.
I'm not 100% defending Pay - of course the attack needs work. But I think he's done a pretty damn good job with who he's had. I'm not blaming Des apart from his role in the salary cap disaster - the same as he did when he left Manly the first time (they took 5 years to recover from that, we're going to do it in 3).
Of course we all want success - but I'm a realist and therefore willing to be patient for longer, as much as it can be frustrating at times.
I've often posed the question to those who think the staff have or are doing a bad job - what would you have done differently in the last 2 years? It's a question that rarely gets answered or answered well in my view.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cudos to the guy for the effort but fark me he gets absolutely smashed in the middle. Looked better on an edge.

Drop Stimson bring Ogden in... Should have been like that from the start.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed last night he loves to rough it up he’s a good asset I’ll admit pay has brought some great players in dwz, chn, Stimson and now Britt.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never said Thompson alone will be any sort of panacea. There are 4-5 key recruitments we need to make for 2021 and I believe they'll be announced in the coming months. We have the money for 2021 that we don't for 2020 - that's well known.
I thought our attitude last night was great. We got beaten by a team who are at the very least Top-4 favourites (though didn't show it last night) and it was a soft try - we were in it all night. Many were predicting we'd get a touch up last night and we didn't.
I'm not 100% defending Pay - of course the attack needs work. But I think he's done a pretty damn good job with who he's had. I'm not blaming Des apart from his role in the salary cap disaster - the same as he did when he left Manly the first time (they took 5 years to recover from that, we're going to do it in 3).
Of course we all want success - but I'm a realist and therefore willing to be patient for longer, as much as it can be frustrating at times.
I've often posed the question to those who think the staff have or are doing a bad job - what would you have done differently in the last 2 years? It's a question that rarely gets answered or answered well in my view.
Forgot about him! Interesting year ahead I think we will recruit very well

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In response to your last question, Pay could pick more big hoppers over plodders. Spoke to a roosters fan today, and he was flabbergasted that Tolman is still going around for us. What could we have done differently? Let me count they ways... identify some good young guns that other clubs have managed to find. Make better use of your existing squad. Don't pick plodders. I am genuinely frightened for the safety of Elliot and Stimson when they come up against Pangai jnr, Payne Haas, Fifita, lodge and co. Fark.... our pack sux compared to that line up! Where are the big boppers. Napa must have thought he joined a the canterbury toyota cup team ffs! So many things we could have done to get us back in the mix.. no excuses. Our club have always found a way to win until now.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Had a solid game, but at 25 (or however old her is) and becoming a bit of a journeyman, he's not some young and up and comer.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I don't know if Pay will get the best out of the squad when our salary cap is more wisely utilised. But he wound up doing better last year than some very strong rosters compared to ours. To me that was about having gradually instilled some self belief in our young squad. The previous year was very much disrupted by having to shed players.

Hasler had the benefit of stepping away from his roster mismanagement at manly, building an unbalanced roster here, walking away back to a decent roster at manly again when we were in a lot of trouble. So while I don't blame our current predicament entirely on him, he and our former board left the club well behind in terms of quality.