Dealing with new borns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a 2 month old baby boy who can't stop crying and just likes to feed all the time! Been told countless of times that it's normal and I'm sure it is, but I'm getting worried that it's starting to take its toll on my wife who's obviously with the little man more than me due to my work. I keep telling her that there is light at the end of the tunnel. She feels like she's not a good mother because of all of the crying. She tends to break down and I'm kind of worried. Has anyone else been through this?

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is your baby bottle fed or breast fed? How often is he feeding?

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your baby bottle fed or breast fed? How often is he feeding?
Bottle fed. He wasn't attaching to the breast. My wife was expressing for a while but now she's stop.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Kurrupt78

Maybe your son has colic.

Colic in babies
Colic is the medical term for excessive, frequent crying in a baby who appears to be otherwise healthy and well fed. Colic is very common, affecting about one in five babies. However it is still poorly understood.

Crying is normal in babies. At six to eight weeks, babies normally cry for two to three hours a day. But babies with colic will cry inconsolably for more than three hours at a time on at least three days each week, and this cycle tends to last for more than three weeks

Colic usually begins within the first few weeks of life and peaks at around six to eight weeks. It often stops by the time the baby is four months old, and by six months at the latest.

In most cases, the intense crying occurs in the late afternoon or evening and usually lasts for several hours.

You may also notice that your baby’s face becomes flushed, and they may clench their fists, draw their knees up to their tummy, or arch their back.

If your baby has colic, they may appear to be in distress. However, the crying outbursts are not harmful and your baby will continue to feed and gain weight normally. There is no clear evidence that colic has any long-term effects on a baby’s health.

Seeing your doctor
Babies with colic usually don’t have any underlying medical condition . However, you should see your doctor if your baby cries excessively. This is so your doctor can rule out conditions that may be causing your baby’s crying, such as eczema or gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). GORD is a condition where stomach acid moves back out of the stomach and into the oesophagus (food pipe).

If no other cause of your baby’s symptoms can be found, diagnosis of colic can be made (although this is simply a term used to describe a baby that cries a lot). Your doctor can advise you about the things you can do to help your baby, including what treatments are available.

When to call your doctor immediately
A number of signs and symptoms may suggest that your baby is more seriously ill. It is recommended that you contact your doctor immediately if your baby:

• has a weak, high-pitched continuous cry
  • seems floppy when you pick them up
  • takes less than a third of their usual amount of fluids
  • passes less urine than usual
  • vomits green fluid
  • passes blood in their stools
  • has a fever such as 38C or above (if they’re less than three months old) or 39C or above (if they’re three to six months old)
  • has a bulging fontanelle (the soft spot at the top of a baby’s head)
  • has a fit (seizure)
  • turns blue, blotchy or very pale
  • has a stiff neck
  • has breathing problems, such as breathing quickly or grunting while breathing
  • has a spotty, purple-red rash anywhere on their body (this could be a sign of meningitis)
  • has a seizure (fit).
None of the above symptoms are caused by colic. If you can’t get hold of your doctor, call healthdirect on 1800 022 222 for advice.

What causes colic?
The cause or causes of colic are unknown, but a number of theories have been suggested. These include indigestion, trapped wind or a temporary gut sensitivity to certain proteins and sugars found in breast milk and formula milk.

However, there is currently little solid evidence to support these theories.

Colic occurs equally in boys and girls, and in babies who are breastfed or bottle-fed. Colic is thought to be more common in babies whose mothers are smokers or who smoked while they were pregnant but the evidence is not conclusive.

Comforting your baby
There is no ‘best’ way to comfort your baby or reduce the symptoms of colic. Different babies respond to different methods, so you may have to see what works best for you.

The following suggestions may help:

• Holding your baby during a crying episode can sometimes help, as can wrapping them snugly in a blanket or baby sling.
  • Remember your baby is not unwell or in pain. It is not your fault
  • Keep calm and talk gently to your baby
  • Check your baby doesn’t need a feed or a nappy change
  • Develop a regular daily pattern of feeds and sleeps
  • Don’t overstimulate your baby
  • Darken the room for daytime naps
  • Try soothing techniques such as baby massage, gentle rocking or patting
  • Try to soothe your baby before they become too worked up
  • Try not to startle your baby, eg with quick movements
  • Check formula is being made up correctly, if you’re using it
  • Talk to a doctor or other health professional.
You can buy ‘gripe water’ - an over the counter liquid that claims to ease gas and other ‘colicky’ symptoms. Gripe water contains a range of different ingredients including herbal ingredients. There is no evidence that gripe water can improve colic in babies and such products should only be used in consultation with your doctor.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/colic-in-babies

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kaz. Been using gripe water. It's the evenings as well where he goes ape shit. Lol. Not sure if it's wind or just settle if issues. Just seems that every one else raising kids seem to have it easier than us. Lol. I know that isn't the case though.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Boys are usually sooks but try and put pressure on the stomach by laying it on the stomach it will help with wind and won't be as hungry cause it thinks it's full.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If your wife is really stressed, just go to your GP & have your son checked out.

He/She will put your wife's worries at ease.

The GP should be able to give advice on what to do etc.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
clear cut case of colic.

went through with my boys. i know it is hard to see your new born scream in pain due to colic.

gripe water helps and also a piece of cloth warmed up by iron (NOT TOO HOT) , putting over the baby's stomach helps too.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sometimes a change in formula brands eases it it too
But see doctor mate, were just offering our 2bits to help!
Hope the little blokes comes good soon mate

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's hard to see babies suffering. My newest nephew has started had bad eczema and despite the load of remedies my sister had tried on him they can't solve the issue, they can just treat it.

Sounds like you are both trying your best. If mum is getting dressed about it badly that's another issue altogether. I'd encourage her to join a mothers group or maybe seek some counselling about it. Could be that part of the issue now comes from bub sensing mums stress too. Maybe helping her find ways to relax with bub will help relax bub. It's good that you are looking for help, but none of us are experts so I'd seek more advice from a couple of doctors for bub and also find ways for mum to de-stress about things as your original post indicates it's not helping her to deal if she's starting to feel like she's not a good mum.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our first born was similar. He cried all the time probaly for the first 6 - 9 months. Its hard work for all involved. Its hard work for all. It does pass eventually. Do whatever you need to do to survive.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get Dr Brown bottles. Changed my life. My little one would cry all the time after a feed. My mate suggested i try a dr brown bottle... after two feeds, no more painful crying.... my wife went from near depression to happy over night

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Congrats on the bub mate.

In my own experience we had trouble with colic and constipation for the first few months.

Solution was to change formula and add gripe water to the bottle.
Teets that mimic the breast are also a great help in this regard.

Keep an eye on how regular between shits and how hard/soft the shit is. Use Coloxyl drops if there is constipation.

If you are using a premium formula try going back to the basic version because the premium versions can have too much of one mineral that can be hard for them to digest.

Good luck!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Congrats on the bub mate.

In my own experience we had trouble with colic and constipation for the first few months.

Solution was to change formula and add gripe water to the bottle.
Teets that mimic the breast are also a great help in this regard.

Keep an eye on how regular between shits and how hard/soft the shit is. Use Coloxyl drops if there is constipation.

If you are using a premium formula try going back to the basic version because the premium versions can have too much of one mineral that can be hard for them to digest.

My boy is 11 months old and is sleeping 10-12 hours overnight straight through with 1 or 2 short naps a day.

Check to make sure they are getting enough sleep. Should be 16-18 hrs a day at that age.

Good luck!

jasonsmith1994

Waterboy
Reaction score
pay very close attention to babies because they dont know how to act yet,so they are all natural,i would never give a human baby cows milk because it can cause crib death because it is so out of the range of mothers milk which is 1% protein,and you wouldnt give a kitten dog milk

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a 2 month old baby boy who can't stop crying and just likes to feed all the time! Been told countless of times that it's normal and I'm sure it is, but I'm getting worried that it's starting to take its toll on my wife who's obviously with the little man more than me due to my work. I keep telling her that there is light at the end of the tunnel. She feels like she's not a good mother because of all of the crying. She tends to break down and I'm kind of worried. Has anyone else been through this?
Colic, bro.
It'll pass.
In another month or two it'll be a smiling, giggling bundle of joy.
In the meantime, make friends with a dummy, and try infants friend, or gripe water, they tend to calm newborns down.
I too have a newborn (our second) and he was a bit of a crier, but he's grown out of it now (3 months).
Hang tough, and reassure your missus, that you're doing it right.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Your input really helps. Hopefully he'll grow out of it soon. Can't wait to hear the laughing instead of the crying for a change. Lol

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion on this, so take this with a grain of salt.

Our first had reflux which was an absolute **** of a thing. We got some medicine for that. There there was sleep issues. Which, we thought he didn't like being wrapped because he kept escaping so we stopped, then we tried it again, quite snug (for the 2nd one we used angel wraps I think which are zip up, they were great). Also, white noise, there is a white noise app you can download on your phone, we bought a white noise machine. Deadset sleep witchcraft... just beautiful.

Good luck with it all

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Try dunstant baby language do you know the 6 different crys of newborns.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Your input really helps. Hopefully he'll grow out of it soon. Can't wait to hear the laughing instead of the crying for a change. Lol
As kaz said , go to dr get everything checked out. Just push the drs on looking into it properly.
Its easy to say its all normal and it will pass and shit but little bubba up crying all night can also take its toll on the parents go the docs with your mrs make sure she's getting support also and let her know shes doing a great job.ask the doc what steps can be done for mumma bear to take pressure of her

Status
Not open for further replies.