Official David klemmer signs 5 year 4.3m deal with Newcastle Knights

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try not to let the door slap you on the ass on your way out...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Klemmer is on 850k a year at Newcastle and we sign Napa for 500-600k a year then that may be the worst possible cap management by the club.

If Klemmer isn't getting a massive increase then the club shouldn't have let him go. Who knows what to believe with these reported figures but it's hard to have confidence in anyone running the club these days. Old regime or the new regime.

Either way, they better not sign Napa with most of that money. That would be a colossal mistake.

We're releasing our only genuine rep calibre talent over the last few years and are getting picked apart by other clubs.

Some positive news is sorely needed to ease some fans concerns.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disappointing to see a player that everyone loves leave like that, especially when the club is trying to improve he dogged the club and the fans. I guess his true colours came out.

Dogs should raid their juniors and any of their good players next year and years to come.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hmm, who to believe? Random kennel user with a grudge against Klemmer or NRL.com?

You need a source mate.

As much as we all wanted the knights to get ripped off, we're the ones that got fucked over and there's no point in trying to down play this to ease the pain.
Hmmm, Thank you for your opinion.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly my thinking.
And, potentially putting his representative spots in jeopardy.
Not saying a move to the knights would certainly kill this but at least you know what you are getting with the dogs, going to the knights is a gamble, they are hit and miss.
That and the fact he is now a branded defector much like Daly Fairy-Evans - We all know how that went for him.
BIG gamble for little pay day in reality.
I don't know what the "personal/family reasons" are but sure as hell I wouldn't be taking my kids to live in Newcastle. High unemployment, like double Sydney's, not a good selection of schools or universities (not that his kids are old enough for that). Seems like a dumb short term "family reasons" move to me.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Klemmer is a good player but he is damn lucky that there aren't as many great forwards getting around like there once was. Knights might regret this when they lose Ponga in 2020 and need to look for a marquee player for their spine

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im sure Napa is on less money then Klemmer.

Im happy Klem is gone. Great player but has no offload or lin3 breaks in him. Napa will do klems job for less. Which is a win for us as we can use that money elsewhere

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m happy with Napa
He will hurt players in defence

He is a bulldog
First time I saw the kid was when he played a trial match against the dogs for Newton, back when they were the roosters feeder club.. He was a stand out on the day and hopefully he stands out at Belmore for years to come.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Add that to the $200/$250k we had left under the salary cap and that will pay for a pretty reasonable player. Might just work out to be the better deal.

Go Dogs
We easy got 500k sitting around... Could probably get 2.

Malla

Reaction score
Even though we knew it was coming it still hurts to see him go. Thought that he was bulldog through and through... oh well, good luck to him. I would be very surprised if he plays out his full 5 years at Knights. Once they realise that Brown is a shit coach, the new regime will look at how much they are paying Klemmer get rid of him.

We dodged a bullet imo.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Id say klems $860 per year is on the books hed be getting $200-$300k a year third party and i cant wait to see napa destroy him when we play them

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy with Napa
He will hurt players in defence

He is a bulldog
Yep, let's get behind Napa now.
Like it or not, it would seem it's confirmed and while everyone will have their opinions, it is circa $200,000 salary cap saving per year which we can use elsewhere.
We know he can hit hard and intimidate, so let's hope they can channel this in to hard, legal hits.
Welcome aboard Dylan.