(David) Campese tells Roos to dump Lockyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-dump-lockyer/story-e6frexnr-1225924379688

WALLABIES legend David Campese says Kangaroos selectors should pick his nephew Terry at five-eighth rather than "pushing Darren Lockyer out in a wheelchair".
Lockyer, 33, missed the final month of Brisbane's flawed premiership campaign with a hip injury but seems certain to captain Australia for the upcoming Four Nations tournament.

Campese is adamant Lockyer's time has passed at international level and wants selectors to choose 26-year-old Terry.

But Australian selector Bob McCarthy yesterday refused to agree Lockyer was too old.

"Lockyer didn't need a wheelchair in State of Origin this year," McCarthy said.

Terry Campese will be a pivotal figure in Canberra's qualifying final against Wests Tigers tomorrow night at a sold-out Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders five-eighth played one match for NSW in 2008 before being dumped. He has not been recalled to representative football.

"Why do they [selectors] always go back to the old blokes," Campese said.

"How long are they going to keep pushing Lockyer out in a wheelchair? I don't know how they could keep picking Lockyer.

"He has had a shocking year and was injured in the past couple of weeks.

"Terry's playing well but it's simply 'bad luck'. I can't believe he isn't in the Australian side.

"They have to start picking the young blokes.

"They don't get rewarded by playing well. What is their incentive to keep playing well?

"People will talk about Lockyer because he has been around for a long time but give Terry a chance, throw him in there.

"They should look to the future. The young blokes are inhibited because the old guys keep getting picked. Terry was Continued page

given one game in 2008 and then dropped. They then go back to guys like Trent Barrett. Terry has proven himself."

McCarthy returned serve, pointing out Campese was playing for the Wallabies at 34.

"If I remember, David Campese played until he was a fair age," McCarthy said.

"He [Lockyer] didn't need a wheelchair in State of Origin this year. Origin was only a couple of months ago. You don't lose form in that time.

"Everyone knows Darren Lockyer can rise to the occasion. We will just have to keep an eye on his hip. Terry is going well, so is Todd Carney, so is Braith Anasta."

Lockyer trained strongly yesterday at Redfern Oval as part of the Four Nations train-on squad.

"The ribs are coming along good. In the last couple of weeks they've settled down. The team doesn't get announced until another couple of weeks so by then they should be fine," Lockyer said.

"Running is not an issue, it's more the contact work. But doctors and physio have assured me by the time the first game in the Four Nations is played I'll be OK.

"It's disappointing not to be in the finals but if you take a positive out of it I've had time to freshen up mentally."

David Campese said Terry's success was due partly to his rugby union background.

"He still plays a bit like a rugby player and that is a good thing. He is very instinctive," Campese said.

"He comes from a rugby union background and is always thinking."

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
even if locky didnt play, you still have the likes of carney who will take the job before campo.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
even if locky didnt play, you still have the likes of carney who will take the job before campo.
i reckon if the raiders win the GF he might just have crossed the line. Selectors usually reward the grand final winning team, in saying that though if locky is def out then there are so many combos:

6) Thurston
7) Cronk

6) Carney
7) Thurston

6) Campese
7) Thurston

6) Prince
7) Thurston (or swapped)

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Hahaha.. Nice read.. I agree with him but I dont see them giving up on Lockyer just yet.. And like d_eye said Carney would be picked before Campo..

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow and to think several long months ago NSW was struggling for a number 6 - now we have two who are jousting for a Kangaroo jersey.

Carney > Campese in pecking order. But David is right, they need to fck the geriatric Lockyer off.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
id pick cronk over both of them to be frank. Even when he had nothing to play for, he still was a shining light for the storm. Not playing in the finals will harm his chances, however he has been there before.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carney>>>>>Cronk

lets see cronk do it in a side that isn't $1m over the cap. All the Storm superstars will come back to the field massively next year. Let them compete on level terms and lets see how they go.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Carney>>>>>Cronk

lets see cronk do it in a side that isn't $1m over the cap. All the Storm superstars will come back to the field massively next year. Let them compete on level terms and lets see how they go.
Lol this year alone proves he can do it, most of the time this year the storm had so many players out injured/resting and he still came out trumps. He single handedly demolished us when we took them on in melbourne. Dont use oh but the bulldogs were ****, they were more like 1 million under the cap and still won.

If i had to pick either 1 in my team, id easily pick Cronk. Carney all be it is very talented, he would have more of a chance going missing than cronk.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol this year alone proves he can do it, most of the time this year the storm had so many players out injured/resting and he still came out trumps. He single handedly demolished us when we took them on in melbourne. Dont use oh but the bulldogs were ****, they were more like 1 million under the cap and still won.

If i had to pick either 1 in my team, id easily pick Cronk. Carney all be it is very talented, he would have more of a chance going missing than cronk.
Carney is a better defender, faster, just as good organiser, better kicker - general play and goal kicking - And carney proved this year he was more consistent. Ok the storm had nothing to play for, but still Carney was in much better form. Nxt year will be a better guage of where the storm are truly at compared with other sides.

Another thing, Cronk is a half and Carney a 5/8. Carney is the natural selection to succeed Locky at this point in time.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Carney is a better defender, faster, just as good organiser, better kicker - general play and goal kicking - And carney proved this year he was more consistent. Ok the storm had nothing to play for, but still Carney was in much better form. Nxt year will be a better guage of where the storm are truly at compared with other sides.

Another thing, Cronk is a half and Carney a 5/8. Carney is the natural selection to succeed Locky at this point in time.

i agree with that, the rest is pretty debatable.

Thurston can easily play both 5/8 and halfback so that negates the whole carney will get an advantage. One thing is for sure, both Cronk/Carney will be in the squad if Lockyer is ruled out.

P.S Thurston isnt even a sure thing of selection, he might not have time to get over his injuries

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True that. I think a kangaroos side with Cronk at half and Carney at 5/8 could be really dynamic if both locky and jono are ruled out.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No point comparing Cronk and Carney anyway. One is a great organiser other is a dangerous ball runner.

Both traditional fits for the number 7 and number 6 jumper.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Wow and to think several long months ago NSW was struggling for a number 6 - now we have two who are jousting for a Kangaroo jersey.

Carney > Campese in pecking order. But David is right, they need to fck the geriatric Lockyer off.
Shows how stupid the NSW selectors are..

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
David Campese is hardly objective when it comes to this topic. Pushing for his nephew to be selected... Even if there were merit in his opinion, he is obviously biased.

I think that Terry is a good player. But having your famous uncle come out in support of you making rep footy doesn't look that good.

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
Lockyer sh its on all the possible replacements, even if he is 80 years old.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Carney has played 10 games at 5/8 this year settle pettle

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There have always been better options at 6 then old man locky. Waste of time even speculating though as he will remain in the job until he retires or dies, whichever comes first.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did David Campese learn to speak english ? (dumbest footballer ever)

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lockyer sh its on all the possible replacements, even if he is 80 years old.
x2

I got a massive laugh out of his wheelchair comment. Fkn funny as coz it's kinda true.

But seriously, Lockyer, even if he is heading towards grandfather age, is the best option out there. He's experienced and it showed how badly the Broncos missed him when he got injured.

WTF is David Campese on about saying he had a shti year? He had an awesome back end of the year before he got injured.

I wouldn't put Campese at 5/8 before I'd put a Toyota Cup player there. The bloke is a choker on Rep level, and he showed this in 2008. Until he can play consistent football with the Raiders, then I'd select him. He's only done well towards the back end of this year.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a gronk

Even thought I hate every player in the Roosters side

I have to admit Carney over Campese in a heart beat

Status
Not open for further replies.