News D-Day arrives as Bulldogs set to ‘blow Panthers out of water’ with Burton offer

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Barrett’s comments yesterday about using 2 fullbacks is very interesting. Could mean Averillo and JAC floating around behind play in possibly the most dangerous 2nd phase play we have had since Barba in 2012. Not sure how it would work and where it leaves a hole but it is a very curious comment.
I've been saying we should do this with Averillo to get him involved at fullback and in more space without a full time workload. I'm glad Baz is already using his tactical nous and has a clear vision for how he wants us to play.

It's so refreshing to finally have an attacking gameplan that isn't all block plays and complete your sets.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Inb4 put Lewis at 9 (someone on the kennel is guaranteed to shoe horn Lewis into a team line up even if we sign Burton)

I think JMK will be average but slightly better if he has clarity from Barrett and the halves on how the attack is being run.
I think Lewis just doesn't have the skill to be a spine player in a competitive NRL side.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton would be such a good addition.

Im just still so worried about that hooker spot. JMK and Katoa are bench players at best.
Seeing as we would have a lot more creativity with a Burton/Flange halves combo and Averillo at the back you might be able to get away with a hooker just concentrating on good service and giving it to the right person. The problem is JMK and Katoa can't even do that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Burton is smart he will leave. No point in being stuck behind Luai and Cleary.
Gets to play week in and out and gets a massive pay upgrade. Staines did stay who was in a similar position but he's going to have to play wing after Mansour's contract expires.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
1 - Ado carr
2 - Averillo
3 - Cotric
4 - Hoppa
5 - Okunbur
6 - Burton
7 - Flanagan

My god that is one hell of a bacline, a top 4 worthy one
Not really Addo Carr is totally untested at fullback and the halves are very green.

It sure has potential but it's a few years away from top 4. Plus Averillo isn't a winger.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seeing as we would have a lot more creativity with a Burton/Flange halves combo and Averillo at the back you might be able to get away with a hooker just concentrating on good service and giving it to the right person. The problem is JMK and Katoa can't even do that.
You can get away with it but to push for a top 4 position in the next couple of years and try to win a comp we'll need to strengthen that position.

I've been watching some interviews with Brandon Smith, it's obvious he wants to play 9 (Sterling put the question to him). We will have to wait and see how things pan out at the Storm.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
we don't need to fill every spot in 1 transfer window
That's the most important position (hooker) which we need upgrading and I personally think it'd make the biggest difference in our success/results. Look what Koroisau did to Panthers this year. The year before they just missed out on the finals.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've been saying we should do this with Averillo to get him involved at fullback and in more space without a full time workload. I'm glad Baz is already using his tactical nous and has a clear vision for how he wants us to play.

It's so refreshing to finally have an attacking gameplan that isn't all block plays and complete your sets.
It is genuinely exciting to hear him talking about new attacking styles. I don’t think there are many coaches more suited to the new rules than TB. He is very attack focused and that is where the game is heading now.

Forget the Dogs of War, we are heading more towards the ‘Entertainers’ style again. At least in theory anyway. Still need to make it work.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
That's the most important position (hooker) which we need upgrading and I personally think it'd make the biggest difference in our success/results. Look what Koroisau did to Panthers this year. The year before they just missed out on the finals.
yes but there's no point in throwing money away if there's noone who is substantially better, who we have now is fine for where the club is, and then if someone comes off contract and we have the money go after them, or if they find a diamond in the rough, fine.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What happens to our spine if we sign JAC and he turns out to be a good fullback, also we sign burton.

I personally go with

1. JAC
6. Jake Averillo
7. Matt Burton

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
yes but there's no point in throwing money away if there's noone who is substantially better, who we have now is fine for where the club is, and then if someone comes off contract and we have the money go after them
I don't think JMK or Katoa are fine for where we're at or want to go. If there's no one "available" then there isn't a lot we can do. We need to keep money in the salary cap to capitalise on opportunities (e.g. B. Smith situation). Looking at who's off contract for 2022 there isn't a lot either. Someone like Starling is someone we should of signed if we weren't confident in anyone popping up (and you can't rely on that, which is why we signed Green).

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Barrett’s comments yesterday about using 2 fullbacks is very interesting. Could mean Averillo and JAC floating around behind play in possibly the most dangerous 2nd phase play we have had since Barba in 2012. Not sure how it would work and where it leaves a hole but it is a very curious comment.
When Barrett said he'll use his imagination I think what you said is spot on. Even if JAC is on the wing it doesn't mean he has to stay there and catch a cold waiting for a backline movement once every few sets. Avo and JAC can both have roaming roles on different sides of the field and time their run from an offload. Refreshing to see Barrett think outside the box instead of forcing players in fixed roles set in stone like other coaches.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the offer is true, it makes it much more likely Penrith will release him because if they don't they'll be costing the kid potentially $400K a season. While they have every right not to release him, I just cant see them being that petty, especially when they have, and prefer, May as the backup

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What happens to our spine if we sign JAC and he turns out to be a good fullback, also we sign burton.

I personally go with

1. JAC
6. Jake Averillo
7. Matt Burton
What happens to Flanagan and his 75%+ kicking? And I think burton and averillo are similar in terms of running and not organising halves.

Where as Flanagan fair enough isn’t a great runner but is a good link man and a decent kicker/organiser. No where near a rep player. But just a solid half.

Jac would do well with his speed at the back. But organising a defensive line? Not sure he is cerebral enough. Would be a great finisher and I’m sure with time there he’d learn where to be. Picking up grubbers and broken field play he’d be phenomenal. But sweeping back line plays with cut out passes or little grubbers to set up his outside men. I think that’s where he’d struggle.