Cyclone YASI !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotto love the media. Feeding off of other peoples misfortunes.

scum

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it's to stop the wind from shattering them.
I don't think it will do ****! Seems like something a pensioner thought of 70 years ago and everyone just copied without thinking why they are doing it. Mythbusters need to get onto it.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taping windows is crap. Best to keep them open or board them up from he outside. Some people think it stops glass flying around. I don't see how tape will achieve this when the force is so strong that it can uproot a tree.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets hope its not so bad and slows up, pray for the Northern brothers..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOL the video of the guy surfing at mackay

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people put tape on their windows?
Is the tape supposed to stop debris from smashing their windows?? Can't see what the point of it is.
it's to make sure that the glass falls the right way, as well as fall in larger pieces. in smaller systems (up to a 3), it will keep the glass intact.
the biggest problem with cyclones and glass smashing is... point 1 - flying debris. tonight, all debris will be like missiles, so it won't matter. street signs are going to go through the glass effortlessly.
point 2 - pressure that builds up in houses during a cyclone cause windows to explode, taping allows for windows to crack. the best way to avoid windows exploding is to open them up when the eye passes over.

3rd point i guess is that if your windows do smash, it helps reduce the risk to those in their homes from being seriously injured by the glass 'shrapnel' once the tiny shards of glass become airborne. mind you, that's why you need to have matresses to protect yourself from the glass.

the best way to deal with it is to board up, but then you still run the risk of the windows exploding behind the board after the eye of the cyclone passes over.

i almost wish i were up there tonight for the cyclone, just to see what a category 5 is like

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Heres a graph of Nth QLD how it looked roughly 10 years ago when I was there!

G

Gladiator.

Bligh said this morning there'll be 800 ready to go on saturday
Eh? Energex and QLD electricity commision has asked for us to have 50 men from EnergyAustralia ready to go up, as far as I know the electricity infrastructure up in QLD has never been tested on CAT. 5 cyclones so they decided to pull the plug, rather than risk it and be held accountable for deaths and further damage.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
just looking at pictures from sky news...

it seems that innisfail has been badly damage but looking at shots from cairns and townsville... the damage isnt that big but there is a huge amount of debree all over the place

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
The closest BOM instruments to Mission Beach are located at "Lucinda", approx 120km south of impact zone.

Winds gusts at Lucinda (120km away) recorded at 190kph.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Eh? Energex and QLD electricity commision has asked for us to have 50 men from EnergyAustralia ready to go up, as far as I know the electricity infrastructure up in QLD has never been tested on CAT. 5 cyclones so they decided to pull the plug, rather than risk it and be held accountable for deaths and further damage.
Storm may cut power

Ms Bligh said Ergon Energy was planning for an event that could see anywhere between 150,000 and 200,000 people lose power, even in areas not impacted by the cyclone.

"They expect that we could see the impact come as far south as Mackay in relation to electricity supply," she said.

"Because this event has now escalated to a category five event, we also need to understand that it will have the capacity to bring down transmission towers.

"This means that electricity supply could be seriously disrupted even in parts of regional Queensland that do not have the effects of the cyclone and people need to be ready for that possibility."

She said 800 electrical workers would be on the ground from Saturday to ensure power was being reconnected as soon as possible.

Ms Bligh also warned there could also be a breakdown in telecommunications.

Optus and Telstra were working to put extra experts on the ground as soon as possible to restore phone networks.

"They have located additional technicians, generators and a satellite system in Mackay to transport quickly," she said.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
From Twitter ...

"Listening to man on phone from Tully on SkyNews is chilling. Tully senior citz club which was supposed to be evac centre apparently caved in"

G

Gladiator.

just got asked if i would like to go up to QLD, but i turned it down

Status
Not open for further replies.