Cronulla & Titans & NRL's response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Surely I'm not alone is noticing the stark difference in treatment by the NRL towards these two clubs and their drug "saga".

Loads of Sharkies fans are irate because they got left out in the cold to fend for themselves whereas Titans have been 'rescued' with millions being directed to ensure their future. On the surface, it's hard to disagree.

To me, it all smacks of 'favouritism' : The NRL "can't afford to lose the Gold Coast" due to the population / TV-rights / market-saturation complications, whereas if they Sharks go bust it's simply "Meh, there's plenty of coverage in Sydney already".

Or is this more to do with the fact that we have a "recreational" issue versus what was a "performance enhancing" issue ?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting they are both shit teams , yet get treated different

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
I'd say it is a case of:

Sharks, club is the wrong party by giving players drugs
Titans, players are at fault as their idiocy is giving the club a bad name

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Interesting point Slick.

But at the end of the day, both bring the game into disrepute.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely I'm not alone is noticing the stark difference in treatment by the NRL towards these two clubs and their drug "saga".

Loads of Sharkies fans are irate because they got left out in the cold to fend for themselves whereas Titans have been 'rescued' with millions being directed to ensure their future. On the surface, it's hard to disagree.

To me, it all smacks of 'favouritism' : The NRL "can't afford to lose the Gold Coast" due to the population / TV-rights / market-saturation complications, whereas if they Sharks go bust it's simply "Meh, there's plenty of coverage in Sydney already".

Or is this more to do with the fact that we have a "recreational" issue versus what was a "performance enhancing" issue ?
Haha I couldn't give a shit if all 15 clubs crumble, as long as the doggies are in good shape I'm good
but yeah obvious favouritism toward the titans

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
titans have always been a lost cause from season 1, their crowds have fallen, their team has failed to deliver, their management were hopeless, and their fans let down season after season

with the nrl its defiantly different rules for different clubs

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
One was a club giving their players performance enhancing drugs. The other is a club that alleges they didn't know their players were taking illicit drugs.

Bit of a difference.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One was a club giving their players performance enhancing drugs. The other is a club that alleges they didn't know their players were taking illicit drugs.

Bit of a difference.
Exactly, the Sharks club brought the game into disrepute whereas it was the Titans players and not the club that brought the game into disrepute. One is officially sanctioned the other is not. Massive difference.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha I couldn't give a shit if all 15 clubs crumble, as long as the doggies are in good shape I'm good
but yeah obvious favouritism toward the titans
Does that mean we get every TVs game ?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly, the Sharks club brought the game into disrepute whereas it was the Titans players and not the club that brought the game into disrepute. One is officially sanctioned the other is not. Massive difference.
Pretty valid points but in both casesthe game has been given "a black eye."When a lot of incidents are looked at by the general rugby league public and people outside the game there is rarely any thought given to the fact that it is a player or a club who have crossed the line, it normally gets lumped together

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two differences.

1) The Titans issue is potentially criminal, whereas the Sharks issue was more in breach of sporting regulations.

2) Yes, the league could (should?) lose Cronulla as an area and not care. Not so with the Gold Coast.

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would be very interesting to see how the NRL would react if their darling Rabbitohs or roosters were involved in something like this......

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would be very interesting to see how the NRL would react if their darling Rabbitohs or roosters were involved in something like this......
Or there other darlings Broncos, eels, manly, storm, Tigers, panthers

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The NRL would help out the sharks if they were going belly up, as the PayTV & Channel 9 TV deal requires an even amount of teams.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
doping/juicing is looked at far worse than recreational drugs because the first is cheating.

RowdyDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

The NRL have taken over the titans license because they were financially insolvent. The drug issue is probably the tipping point as it destroyed any chance of a major sponsor signing up in the sport term, but definitely not the sole reason. Drug scandal or not, the NRL would of most likely had to step in at some time this year anyway.

So its a very different scenario to the sharks. Im sure if the sharkies reached a point where they couldn't pay players and creditors, the NRL would be stepping in as well

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
**** off sharks and titans

when the dogs were going through shit the nrl were no where to be seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.