Cronulla keen to prise Sam Kasiano from Canterbury as replacement for Andrew Fifita

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cronulla are aiming to exact revenge on Canterbury for poaching Andrew Fifita by launching a retaliatory strike for Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano.

The news comes as David Fifita emerged as a contender to replace his suspended brother for the grudge match against the Bulldogs.

The Sharks are still reeling after losing established star Fifita and an emerging one, promising hooker Michael Lichaa, to Belmore at the end of the season. The twin strikes add spice to Monday's ANZ encounter, although Andrew Fifita won't be playing after accepting a two-match suspension for a shoulder charge on Gold Coast winger David Mead.

It's understood David Fifita, yet to make his NRL debut, and former Manly prop Tim Robinson are being considered to fill the void.

Andrew Fifita became the highest-paid front-rower in history when he signed a four-year deal believed to be worth about $3.2 million. The Sharks are on the hunt for a replacement, although there are few on the open market. They have money to spend and have expressed interest in Kasiano. The New Zealand international is contracted until the end of 2015 but the Bulldogs are likely to have to shift players after a spate of signings and re-signings.

"Sam Kasiano would be the biggest-name prop off contract if he was to be released by Canterbury," said his agent, Mario Tartak.

"There has already been plenty of interest; my phone has been running hot in recent days."

Kasiano, who opted to represent New Zealand despite overtures to play for the Maroons, has not asked for a release, nor have Canterbury asked him to explore his options. However, the parties are likely to discuss his place in the roster next week.

Newcastle have also expressed interest in Kasiano, while South Sydney – one of the suitors who missed out on Fifita as a replacement for Sam Burgess – could also be an option. However, the Sharks are desperate for grunt up front after losing Ben Ross, Mark Taufua, Jayson Bukuya and Jon Green in the off-season. Bryce Gibbs is also likely to retire at the of the year.

Should they snare Kasiano, the Sharks would be replacing last year's Dally M prop of the year with the recipient of the award the previous season. Kasiano is injured but is expected to return within a fortnight.

As well as securing the services of Fifita and Lichaa, the blue-and-whites are poised to announce contract extensions for Michael Ennis, James Graham and Josh Morris, while centre Tim Lafai was recently locked away long term.

With a pack also boasting Greg Eastwood, Frank Pritchard, Aiden Tolman, Tony Williams, Dave Klemmer, Dale Finucane and Josh Jackson in the engine room, it will be impossible to keep them all under the salary cap. Kasiano is the one most likely to go, while Lloyd Perrett could also be squeezed out. Perrett, the younger brother of Kiwi international Sam, is highly regarded but may not be offered an extension when he comes off contract at season's end. Sam said he would hold no grudges if Lloyd wasn't retained.

“Lloyd is a great talent,” Sam Perrett said. “He is a young fella coming through. He is working hard. He has the ability and the intelligence and skills to get his opportunity wherever it may be.

“Hopefully it’ll be here but I have no doubt in his ability. I think he is well capable of playing first grade some time shortly. Just seeing him progress and develop as a person and a football player, he’d have no dramas.”

Source

The DoggFather

RIP HABS
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I doubt Kas will leave but you dont know these days.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny how everyone is on this 'Kasiano is the one to go' train. He's probably the safest of all our forwards to be honest.

He's still super young and is already proven in first grade. It'd be silly for us to let him go, when you can clearly see we're trying to build a formidable forward pack that won't only be tough for a year or two, but for many years to come.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys who will most likely leave are graham, tolman, brown (the one who bashed barbz) and jackson.

With graham retained (if you believe the 'tomorrow' announcements), its the 3 we're gonna ditch.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Funny how everyone is on this 'Kasiano is the one to go' train. He's probably the safest of all our forwards to be honest.

He's still super young and is already proven in first grade. It'd be silly for us to let him go, when you can clearly see we're trying to build a formidable forward pack that won't only be tough for a year or two, but for many years to come.

We already have a fat islander with a beard. His name is Frank Pritchard. And he is less injury prone.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD we took Sam to get Lloyd and we may not even see him in grade haha

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We already have a fat islander with a beard. His name is Frank Pritchard. And he is less injury prone.
Mate, Pritchard was just as injury prone as Kasiano at the same age when he was at Penrith.

Pritchard is also 30 years old. He has probably 2-3 years left in him at best, while Kasiano has easily another 10 years in him.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know why we signed this bloke.. honestly... **** me dead.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I don't understand how clubs can say they want to sign a player that still has two years left on his contract wtf?

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
.. Kasiano is the one most likely to go ??

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Lol I don't see Sammy going anywhere to be honest. Considering the sh1t storm that the sharks are in why would anyone want to be signing with them? Are the sharks that financially stable that they can afford to pay the fines that have been imposed and offer a sizeable contract to lure Sam away from the dogs? Highly doubt it.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sammy wont go to the Sharkies from what I understand the Sharkies are in talks with the Storms Jesse Bromwich for awhile now.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a player a fully fit injury free Sam Kasiano is one of the best and in the "must retain" category. Problem is though Sam these days is rarely injury free. Last season he only managed 13 games and was carrying injury in some of them. He is now carrying an injury and isn't due back until round 5 and to be honest this question needs to be asked "How long will he last until he is out with another injury or recurrence of this one"?

As a business option selling Sam would be the way to go. It solves the problem of who will replace him when injured and what our front row rotation will be as well as loosen the salary cap.

Simply because Sam is a chronic injury problem and running a Rugby League club and football team is a business I think the Bulldogs will let Sam go if we have offers from any other club.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Our go forward is good but when are we going to strengthen our backrow?

A

Alexander the Great

Kas Will go if Pritchard leaves with him and thats not going to happen any time soon.
The player manager said this to a family member of mine about a year or so back.

winton08

Waterboy
Reaction score
Is it any wonder that no one is inquiring about the availability of one turd-rex. I would personally put a bow on him and drive him to any other clubs training facility.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Kas Will go if Pritchard leaves with him and thats not going to happen any time soon.
The player manager said this to a family member of mine about a year or so back.
cant really say that mate, kas contract ends next year and I think frank will retire when his contract ends. so kas could walk if a club is willing to throw big money at him

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kas must stay!

I would shed Graham as he is not a long term option. Im sorry to say this as he is such a great man / player but he has proved he can match the best in NRL & will eventually go back to the UK for big dollars! Similar to Sam Burgess in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.