Cricket 2021/22 Thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With the Dogs season done, the footy season is done.

and we turn to cricket, including the Ashes this summer (Covid permitting). Have my tickets to Day 3 of the Gabba test, raring to go.

First cab off the rank is the possible cancellation of the sole maiden test v Afghanistan. I guess when it was originally planned it was seen to be a good thing - an opportunity for the newest comer to Test Cricket to play one of the big boys, and to give Hobart their token once every three years test.

Should we go down the South African route and boycott sport against the Taliban run Afghanistan due to its treatment of women (amongst other things? Would the Taliban really give a rats arse?

1631164837774.png

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
India forfeited due to Covid the 5th test against England!!

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully get to go a couple of T20 games this year.

Fuckin great day out

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
India forfeited due to Covid the 5th test against England!!
Spewing!! It’s been a fantastic series. Test cricket in England is the pinnacle in terms of viewing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’d like to welcome all batters to the wicket.
If there’s a FoW late in the day, the Nightwatchperson may be required, whilst the 12th Person will continue to carry the drinks, unless they are called up to field at third person:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Always look forward to an Ashes series. I’ll be there on Day 1 and 2 at the SCG Test as I do every year. My dad keeps questioning the value of the SCG Membership and I remind him that it’s priceless and irreplaceable so no way do you chuck that in. It’s a pity they made the Member breakfast with guest speakers so expensive (what used to be $50 on top is now $180pp) but it’s always a good day with cricket, lager and catching up with some mates who I don’t see otherwise apart from the cricket. C’mon Aussie.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d like to welcome all batters to the wicket.
If there’s a FoW late in the day, the Nightwatchperson may be required, whilst the 12th Person will continue to carry the drinks, unless they are called up to field at third person:
This one kind of makes a bit of sense though. Batter/Batsman is in the actual rules of the game, so should a woman who is batting be referred to officially as a batsman? Batter does make it a bit American for many people's tastes.

I don't think we'll be seeing Nigthwatchperson anytime soon.... well, i guess you never know these days. Will we see the end of fine leg or silly mid off?

Having said all of the that, as a funny aside, I preside over quite a lot of meetings, and refer to myself always as Chairman, not Chairperson. Chairman is still the correct word for someone who presides over a meeting...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This one kind of makes a bit of sense though. Batter/Batsman is in the actual rules of the game, so should a woman who is batting be referred to officially as a batsman? Batter does make it a bit American for many people's tastes.

I don't think we'll be seeing Nigthwatchperson anytime soon.... well, i guess you never know these days. Will we see the end of fine leg or silly mid off?

Having said all of the that, as a funny aside, I preside over quite a lot of meetings, and refer to myself always as Chairman, not Chairperson. Chairman is still the correct word for someone who presides over a meeting...
I still remember listening to Mike Carlton on a Friday morning back in the late 80s, doing his "Rox Messup" impersonation and announcing that Terry Alderperson had taken 5 wickets.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I still remember listening to Mike Carlton on a Friday morning back in the late 80s, doing his "Rox Messup" impersonation and announcing that Terry Alderperson had taken 5 wickets.
i have no idea why i'm laughing so bloody hard at that joke.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah I was being facetious.
It’s no big deal either way.
Pretty sure the gals had already adopted different terms like ‘short third’.
Several field positions have weird names that aren’t even gender based like Gully or Fine Leg.
As for meetings, many simply refer to the administrator as ‘Chair’ these days.
These things will always trigger some either way - I personally think we’ve got bigger issues to solve.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Far be it from me to question womens sport ;) but does anyone else have some concerns about a couple of the sideburned, no hip, flat chested Indian cricketers playing today on 7?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Far be it from me to question womens sport ;) but does anyone else have some concerns about a couple of the sideburned, no hip, flat chested Indian cricketers playing today on 7?
They were some fine looking batsMEN

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So on a scale between 1 and 10, how many fucks do you give if Joe Root doesn't come out for the ashes?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That's a pretty snazzy joke for a grandma :grinning:
Still got a sense of humour, and act immature, so it was appropriate lol.

I post on TK for the player signings and humour.

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Do we actually have a cricket thread? Fck - is there anything that LBers doesn't do?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’d be more concerned about the way the aussies are playing, tbh. Getting completely outplayed by India and we’re lucky not to lose the ODI series. India playing great cricket.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’d be more concerned about the way the aussies are playing, tbh. Getting completely outplayed by India and we’re lucky not to lose the ODI series. India playing great cricket.
Yeah well there's that ;) hehe

So true. Their bowlers have given nothing and completely outplayed us.

Need 80 to avoid the follow on.

I guess it's a good reality check for the Aussies...they aren't unbeatable.

But still Ute..."some" of their players need testosterone checks...they might be Indian relations to those netball players you were celebrating a few weeks ago lol