Crazy Idea for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the interchange being dropped to 8 or even possibly 6, I can’t wait to see what Des does to evolve the game structure-wise.

Since 2013, EVERY team in the NRL have copied the style he invented the year before and what has since become the norm.

For 2016, it's time for Des to now change up the way halves are utilised. Smaller guys from next year onwards are going to be more important than ever.

I suggest (And I know many won’t agree) we re-sign Hodkinson and change the way the Lock position is played. The Lock forward today is used as a third Prop, which just won’t be sustainable on a 6/8 man rotation. I say we should turn that Lock position back to being more of a loose forward with capabilities of playing in the halves.

Mbye has made a home for himself on the left hand side combining really well with the likes of Williams, Morris and Rona while Reynolds has always been stationed on the right side with Jackson and Lafai.

Hodkinson can then be used as a roaming halve in the middle of the field combining with both Mbye and Reynolds so they can play to their strengths in their best positions. We know Hodkinson is more than capable of defending in the middle, so we know defence isn’t an issue. We also know he's more than capable in playing both left and right if required.

I could definitely see Des pulling something crazy like this off. Mbye would need to buy into the idea for it to work though.

Anyone with me? Just remember I’m talking from next year onwards on the knowledge of the interchange being dropped possibly by 4. This year I’m fully onboard the Reynolds/Mbye train.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But the question is what would happen if hodkinson does his knees again?

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cant see it happening. He can't run at all, a major requirement to play in the middle. Yes his defence is good but if he makes 30+ tackles a game in the middle he will be even more ineffective

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sounds good but hodko cant run ,all he does is catch and pass he will be a waist of a position and cap space I think T-Rex will do a better job at least he can run pass kick plus his contracted till end of next year

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even if Des wanted to try something like this the biggest issue with re-signing him is his asking price. If he wasn't happy with $500k then he needs to move on.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Even if Des wanted to try something like this the biggest issue with re-signing him is his asking price. If he wasn't happy with $500k then he needs to move on.
$500k your very generous

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I don't think the role of positions will change too much. Players will just get fitter and evolve with the game. Jackson could play that ball playing lock forward imo and can play long minutes.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell no he can't play in his favoured position let alone a newly invented one

J

JonesBarry

Hodko is a tragic player. Why would we change our style to maKe him a lock just to keep him.

I have a crazy idea for 2016 remove him from our roster and replace him with someone better
Hahahaha spot on, exactly why would we put the worlds slowest halfback at lock.
of it gets to 6 replacements then it would become a 80 minute position and Jackson fills that spot perfectly.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than Jackson all our backrowers aren't true 80 min players IMO. I think this impacts too much on our bench rotations at times. a fair few top teams have a full backrow capable of playing 80 and changes only needed due to tactics/performance where as our guys are coming off due to fatigue only.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your fuking kidding right the guy moves less than a wheelchair

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He would get DECIMATED at lock.

Remember he's still playing up the middle of the field, just in line with the forward pack.

That's why blokes like Beastwood (and even Graham) can play at Lock. They possess the size as well as ball playing skills to create havoc either side of the ruck.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
In order to be a running half you must be capable of running

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In the name of all that's good and decent "No more Hodkinson"

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
With the interchange being dropped to 8 or even possibly 6, I can’t wait to see what Des does to evolve the game structure-wise.

Since 2013, EVERY team in the NRL have copied the style he invented the year before and what has since become the norm.

For 2016, it's time for Des to now change up the way halves are utilised. Smaller guys from next year onwards are going to be more important than ever.

I suggest (And I know many won’t agree) we re-sign Hodkinson and change the way the Lock position is played. The Lock forward today is used as a third Prop, which just won’t be sustainable on a 6/8 man rotation. I say we should turn that Lock position back to being more of a loose forward with capabilities of playing in the halves.

Mbye has made a home for himself on the left hand side combining really well with the likes of Williams, Morris and Rona while Reynolds has always been stationed on the right side with Jackson and Lafai.

Hodkinson can then be used as a roaming halve in the middle of the field combining with both Mbye and Reynolds so they can play to their strengths in their best positions. We know Hodkinson is more than capable of defending in the middle, so we know defence isn’t an issue. We also know he's more than capable in playing both left and right if required.

I could definitely see Des pulling something crazy like this off. Mbye would need to buy into the idea for it to work though.

Anyone with me? Just remember I’m talking from next year onwards on the knowledge of the interchange being dropped possibly by 4. This year I’m fully onboard the Reynolds/Mbye train.
Your idea is brilliant. Not sure on hodkinson thought but imagine Kas about 20kg lighter?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
BIG NO too Hodkinson he can't even run or do anything so why carry him along?

The lock position has been used as a second 5/8th for a while now so its nothing new to be honest, some coaches prefer to run a defensive lock others run an offensive lock or some run both like we use to with Eastwood and Finnucane.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think in theory having a third half on the field is good, but I think it just confuses things. The team doesn't know who to go to and when. Imagine all 3 of them calling for the ball.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I stopped reading at "we re-sign Hodkinson"

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry, I stopped reading at "we re-sign Hodkinson"
Surely won't happen.

I had a back and forward with someone on twitter about this. I pretended like I am in the know because of TG's posts, saying we definitely won't re-sign hodko and he has not been offered a deal. They said they are involved with the club and he has and he will be staying.

lol Surely cannot be true. Only someone with no brain would re-sign Hodko.

Status
Not open for further replies.