News Cowboys weapon Jason Taumalolo axed as Captain

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He'd be a gamble on anything more than 600k as he's missing tackles like crazy now and doesn't make the same metres. He's had so many carries for so many years that it's taking it's toll.. But Nth Qld won't chip in anywhere near that much so it will be hard to move him..
If they want to move him on they will have to.

The contract works against the Cowboys and the power would be with any team wanting to sign him.

As you said he isn't what he was.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s on a $1m let’s say, but in reality the Cowboys are paying $800k on their cap due to Long Service discount.

So I can’t see him going anywhere….

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He'd be a gamble on anything more than 600k as he's missing tackles like crazy now and doesn't make the same metres. He's had so many carries for so many years that it's taking it's toll.. But Nth Qld won't chip in anywhere near that much so it will be hard to move him..
His all time playing average missed tackles is 1.9 per game, last season he missed 0.3 more tackles per game, hardly "missing tackles like crazy".
Metres gained, his all time playing average is 151 compared to last season 143, not exactly a huge drop off.

What concerns me is he only played 16 games last season due to a knee cartilage injury, a result of a hip drop. In the last 5 seasons he has missed on average 8 games per season.

When he plays he is still a force, but whoever takes him on needs to manage his minutes.

Always a Bulldog

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is on $1 million a season Cows pay $250k Doggies pay $750k...That's all she wrote :tonguewink:
I heard cowboys have chipped in more, but dogs still want them to chip in a little more. Dogs want 50/50. This has been going on for a while now. You never know, he could end up in the blue and white. I think $400k cowboys and $600k dogs would be ideal.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Doubt it happens. Sounds like dreaming. If we could get him on tpj salary be happy. Still call bs.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What incentive is there for him to move though. He's already on a MIL a season so can stay where he is for that money. He would need at least another 250K a season more to want to move. It would need to be more like Dogs pay 800K and Cows pay freight of 450K. That would only give them 550K up their sleeve though so they might think they're better off keeping JT than getting a replacement for 550K. If we want Terrell May it looks like it's gonna cost us a MIL by the time we also sign his bros. I don't think it's worth us paying a dollar more than 800K for JT but if we want him we'd probably have to go to 900K a season. Cows might pay 300K if JT is willing to move for an extra 200K a season. 700K looks much more decent for them to find a good replacement.

Who would you rather JT or the 3 May boys for around the same cost ?
The incentive is a better player coach relationship, the million dollars he is on will continue to be but will come from the two clubs,
$250k more to move ? IMO he is lucky to be on a million considering his form of late !
I also believe there is no need to assume what works and doesn't work, I am convinced Gus & Co are in the know and are more than capable of making the right decisions...
We need two middles, I can see JT coming in 2024 and May in 2025, we will have to wait and see I guess.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If was going to part, I’d expect we’d have to pay $700 000 a year. Whilst I believe this is money well spent for next two years, it’s last two I’d be worried about

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He could still be good playing the simple role as a middle BUT.
$750k for 4 yars would be an extra BIG mistake in my opinion, I'd say $750K for 1 year or $500K for 2 years with options in our clubs favour for the remaining 2.
lets not ignore the fact that his form has gone down hill in recent years and he is likely to go down hill further and produce a NAPA like preformance for us.
I agree specially on the 4 years duration of his contract but
We've missed out on the better alternatives for 2025 and beyond,
The market is very hard and not likely to get easier anytime soon especially with the possible 18th team coming soon,
No player would a huge drop in his earning no matter what the situation is.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blokes best footy was 3 years ago. We don't need another past it forward on big coin.