Cowboys steal best young half from Broncos as Walters’ woes worsen

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Red Hill raid: Cowboys steal best young half from Broncos as Walters’ woes worsen
BRONCOS

Tom Dearden of the Broncos is heading to Townsville.
Tom Dearden of the Broncos is heading to Townsville.Source: Getty Images

North Queensland has reportedly stolen young halfback Tom Dearden from Brisbane.

Senior News Corp journalist Phil Rothfield tweeted the news on Sunday night.

The Courier Mail reports the deal is three years and worth $1.1 million.

Dearden, 20, was spotted touring the Townsville facilities during pre-season and now it looks like he will head north to play for the Cowboys from next year.

Speaking to Wide World Of Sports, league legend Andrew Johns said he doesn’t see Townsend and Dearden working well together in the halves.

“I don’t think they go together at all. I think they’re too similar players,” Johns said.

“When you talk about halves combinations, there’s got to be the yin and the yang. And the best example of that is Nathan Cleary and (Jarome) Luai.

“You’ve got Nathan, who is prepared and the game manager and plays the percentages, and then you’ve got the other hand: the extroverted risk-taker who just plays and doesn’t think and is just a ball of energy - and that’s why they go good together.

“So you need that alter ego and that yin and yang. I think they’re too similar players.”

For Brisbane it will continue a worrying exodus of young gun talent from the club.

David Fifita went to Gold Coast on a rich deal and he scored three tries on Friday night for the Titans.

Reece Walsh was released to join the Warriors and he made his NRL debut on Sunday, playing at fullback and pushing Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to a wing.

On Saturday it was revealed there’s 18 players in the crosshairs as new coach Kevin Walters looks to clean out the Brisbane roster.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Drinkwater is carrying that team at the moment. Wouldn't mind looking into him as a Fullback.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems like it's only the media who have been talking up this kid. I haven't seen anything from this kid to even suggest he's a first grade half. He's slow and not very creative.
Going by Chris Garry, the Broncos didn't really want him.

Chris Garry on Twitter: "Has been verbally agreed to for a week now done deal via @BuzzRothfield Broncos must get experienced playmaker to replace him. Brisbane never made a truly competitive offer to Dearden so they must have a replacement on hook." / Twitter

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bronocs may want Lewis?? or even Mybe.
They probably have to throw everything they got at a big fish, e.g. Moses, Reynolds. A Lewis or Mbye type signing isn't going to do much for them.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They probably have to throw everything they got at a big fish, e.g. Moses, Reynolds. A Lewis or Mbye type signing isn't going to do much for them.
Fuck I can hope can't I.
That's relevant for Lewis.
Mybe don't care. He's like a theif in the night the money he got off us & WT.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Said on 9 they want someone who is talented.

Also said the Broncos didn't offer Dearden a contract.
I do think the Broncos have F'd him about a bit (Croft never should of been starting over him) but playing behind that forward pack Dearden's been pretty underwhelming imo. I think he's been a little overhyped.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I do think the Broncos have F'd him about a bit (Croft never should of been starting over him) but playing behind that forward pack Dearden's been pretty underwhelming imo. I think he's been a little overhyped.
Watching a few Broncos games, I don't think Croft should be starting over anyone. He is also overhyped.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Watching a few Broncos games, I don't think Croft should be starting over anyone. He is also overhyped.
I think after last year everyone should of known he ain't cut out for it, needs to go back to reserve grade.