Cowboys listening to fans over new coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cowboys listening to fans over new coach

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/cowboys-listening-to-fans-over-new-coach/20080225-1um9.html

February 25, 2008 - 4:39PM

The views of the Cowboys' passionate fans will be taken into account when the NRL club selects a new coach, North Queensland boss Peter Parr says.

Irate fans have vented their spleen over the Cowboys' recent decision not to not renew Graham Murray's contract at the end of 2008.

Some have threatened to boycott the Cowboys from 2009 if outgoing Broncos coach Wayne Bennett takes over in Townsville.

Parr said the club had no choice but to factor in supporters' views.

"The fans are the lifeblood of the club. We always try to take on board their views," Parr told AAP.

"We enjoy the fact that they are so passionate about the team.

"As far as what the fans say, that will obviously be taken into account when we have those discussions (about the next coach).

"But at the end of the day we will appoint the person who we think is the best to take this forward."

Fans have inundated the Cowboys and forum websites with angry messages since North Queensland's surprise decision this month to let Murray go.

Parr said he not only expected the response but understood it.

"(But) as much as we respect their opinion the fans don't - and can't - have all the information that goes into selecting a new coach," he said.

"We will take all the information on board, eventually make a short list and then the board will decide who they think is the best coach."

Murray's dumping sparked speculation that a player revolt led to the Cowboys' shock decision.

Murray told the press conference that announced his axing that he sought an assurance from skipper Johnathan Thurston that he had the players' backing.

One player reportedly sent a text message that read "Ding dong the witch is dead" after hearing of the coaching announcement.

The fallout continued with Thurston telling News Limited that he didn't have an issue with Murray.

But Parr said the rumours would not be a distraction for the team in the new season.

"There's always rumours and speculation around when decisions are made with regards to coaching," he said.

"One of the reasons that we decided to bring our time frame forward (on a decision on Murray) is that you expect this sort of thing.

"People are always looking at different reasons as to why something has happened.

"We wanted to get all of that unnecessary speculation and rumour over and done with before we started play - hopefully it will be over by the time we start playing."

Parr said there was no deadline for a coaching appointment despite the Bulldogs being linked to a man firmly in the Cowboys' sights - Bennett.

Parr said the Cowboys had already received "a number of enquiries" but would also sound out coaches for the job.

"It's obviously an important decision. We would like to take our time," he said.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*yawn* i'm glad parrie listened to me and my mate.
i believe one comment that was quoted from me was something about doing away with my season ticket (if we get chris anderson), and another was telling the club to jam it's fan days up it's arse.

that's a very nice fluffy article, but as if mr parr gives a rats what we think. they're going to pick a bloke based on his skills.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

the fans would want someone who can win them the comp.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
*yawn*

i believe one comment that was quoted from me was something about doing away with my season ticket (if we get chris anderson), and another was telling the club to jam it's fan days up it's arse.

as if mr parr gives a rats what we think.
Same here, I think that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.