Cowboys half Tom Duffy rules out Bulldogs defection

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould’s Bulldogs identified the former Aussie Schoolboys and QLD U19s star as the best young halfback in the country but the Cowboys youngster has ruled out a Sydney defection. Read more:

Patrick WoodsPatrick Woods
Follow

@PatWoods321

2 min read
January 12, 2023 - 1:29PM
Townsville Bulletin

0 comments

Thomas Duffy. Cowboys U19's Vs Titans U'19's at Queensland Country Bank Stadium. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Thomas Duffy. Cowboys U19's Vs Titans U'19's at Queensland Country Bank Stadium. Picture: Alix Sweeney.
NRL
Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
TEENAGE Cowboys sensation Tom Duffy has declared he has no interest in leaving North Queensland despite attracting strong interest from the south.
Reports from 2022 suggested Gus Gould’s Bulldogs had identified the former Australian Schoolboy and Queensland Under-19s playmaker as the hottest young NRL halfback in the making.
Canterbury approached the Cowboys to request an early release from his contract to join the Sydney outfit but Duffy, 19, insisted he has no plans to ever leave the club he grew up supporting.
“100 per cent. I’ve grown up here, all my family is from here and I’ve supported the Cowboys since I can remember,” Duffy said.
“I definitely want to stay here and if I can, I’ll be staying here as long as I can.”
Duffy challenges the line in the Mal Meninga Cup Under-18 grand final in 2021. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Duffy challenges the line in the Mal Meninga Cup Under-18 grand final in 2021. Picture: Alix Sweeney
While it is unlikely he would usurp Chad Townsend or Tom Dearden for a place in Todd Payten’s starting 13 Duffy said he was happy to play understudy for now.
“When they first came back I sort of took a back seat, it was a bit surreal to train next to them,” Duffy said.
“But they’re very forthcoming in giving lots of information and all I have to do is ask a question, and sometimes they’ll just come over and tip me up.
“As soon as those older fellas came back, just the speed they do things, their communication, everything they do is just such a high standard, so I’m just learning off them and trying to get up to that speed.”

Thomas Duffy scores. QRL; Mal Meninga Cup U18 Grand Final: Townsville Blackhawks Vs Tweed Seagulls at Jack Manski Oval, Townsville. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Thomas Duffy scores. QRL; Mal Meninga Cup U18 Grand Final: Townsville Blackhawks Vs Tweed Seagulls at Jack Manski Oval, Townsville. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Duffy has all the talents of an NRL halfback, possessing an impressive kicking game and the ability to read defences, but he will need to improve his fitness and develop physically to feature prominently in senior grades in 2023.
He said his main goal was to break into the Blackhawks Hostplus Cup side.
“Whether I start in the under-21s and work my way in, or if I can put my best foot forward in pre-season and get a start in Q-Cup, either one I’ll be very happy with,” Duffy said.
“Toddy (Payten) challenged me earlier in the pre-season to work on my fitness so I’m taking that in the front of my mind and that’s something I’m really trying to work on this year.
More Coverage
The Cowboys international fighting for his NRL spot’I have more in my favour than other wingers’: Cowboy’s big callThe Cowboys teammate inspiring Luki to return stronger than ever
“And getting my defence right comes from getting bigger in the gym, so getting my nutrition, my hydration, and anything I can do to put on a few more kilos so I can get that goal of playing Q Cup.”
Duffy, an Ignatius Park College graduate, starred for the premiership-winning Townsville Blackhawks Under-21s in 2022, impressing Todd Payten enough to be elevated into the Cowboys’ NRL squad for this season

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I just assumed he’d take Burtons spot and push HIM to the centres spot and play along side you. You’re clearly the big dawg future 300 gamer.
Nah, Rajab is gonna take Burton's spot. Future origin halves pairing, baby!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Phil Gould’s Bulldogs identified the former Aussie Schoolboys and QLD U19s star as the best young halfback in the country but the Cowboys youngster has ruled out a Sydney defection. Read more:

Patrick Woods
As I was reading the first paragraph I literally thought the dude in the first picture was who we were looking to sign.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt we were even interested.

When you are stuck behind Dearden and Townsend, you can't be all that good, as neither really set the world on fire as halves partners.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt we were even interested.

When you are stuck behind Dearden and Townsend, you can't be all that good, as neither really set the world on fire as halves partners.
You probably didn't watch the cows last season. They were on fire and Dearden played Origin. I don't rate Townsend or Dearden but they certainly performed above expectations last year.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks good, can he tackle?

Anyways Gus will find someone. We've got pathways put in place I'm sure dogs will discover a half eventually. It's good dogs have tawoomba as our feeder team I'm sure something will come from there. Id rather have players who want to play for the club.

Last edited:

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
HAHA so he knocked down a genuine first grade pathway into the 7 just to be behind Townsend for another two seasons and then be behind Deardan/Drinkwater with Tom Chester at FB. LOL Good luck with that chump