• Indecisive

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
"The financial results also revealed that Pfizer has vastly exceeded its Covid-19 vaccine sales forecast of $15bn, and now expects the jab to bring in $26bn of revenue in 2021 – an increase of 73% on previously anticipated figures – with 1.6 billion doses set to be delivered under current contracts. It’s possible that even this adjusted forecast will prove to be an underestimate, with Pfizer expected to secure further lucrative supply contracts throughout the year"

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Source?

And also, how do you explain all the money the Gates Foundation has given away to diverse causes, including efforts to defeat malaria, and education in Africa?

I'm no fan of Gates, but I'm not going to paint him a bad guy just because I don't like him, I need decent evidence.
You want to paint him as a bad guy?

He owns the Trailblazers.

How that team has underperformed is a crime.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can anyone find out why CDC withdrew PCr testing?
I was listening to a discussion about this the other day. Basically there's two different tests. PCR and rapid antigen. PCR is the most accurate but takes a while to get a result. Rapid antigen cheap and is back quickly but has a lower accuracy rate.

Basically if you want to test for a small amount of virus in the population then you use PCR. If you there's many in the population who have the virus then you use rapid antigen as it'll help you find hotspots fast and cheap, even if you miss some cases.

When you do a rapid antigen you can say to anyone who tests negative, "you tested negative but your neighbours all tested positive so it may be a false negative"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So they have told us the woman in her 30s had "no pre-existing conditions". Was she vaccinated or unvaccinated, why haven't they told us that?

The old folks that died they just said it was from covid. No mention of what conditions they had. Same with the woman in her 50s (the removalist's mother) they did not offer any further information, they just said she had a positive test very vague.

It seems like the authorities are only giving specific information when it increases people's fear of the virus.
She wasn't vaccinated.

The thing people don't realise about Covid is that it's not something that just causes problems for old or at risk. It's a virus that creates a disease that can be fought off if you have a strong immune system. But even if you have a strong immune system, it can still get into your lungs. If it gets into your lungs then it has a decent chance of causing lung damage and inflicting pneumonia.

In each case, you have a better chance of surviving the lung damage and the pneumonia if you're young and healthy. But that doesn't mean you will survive it. Just that you have a better chance of surviving it.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was listening to a discussion about this the other day. Basically there's two different tests. PCR and rapid antigen. PCR is the most accurate but takes a while to get a result. Rapid antigen cheap and is back quickly but has a lower accuracy rate.

Basically if you want to test for a small amount of virus in the population then you use PCR. If you there's many in the population who have the virus then you use rapid antigen as it'll help you find hotspots fast and cheap, even if you miss some cases.

When you do a rapid antigen you can say to anyone who tests negative, "you tested negative but your neighbours all tested positive so it may be a false negative"
Yes. But the conspiracy nuts state the statement is evidence that the PCR tests detect the flu and state its covid.

Must. Be. True.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
no im talking about when india wanted to make their own vaccine and bill gates is holding out on releasing the patent, maybe you would like to explain why on earth would he do that especially since you claim he doesn't have much of an interest, im going back to last year and earlier this year, now it seems like india has seen that it needs to pay off pfizer to get it

maybe search the article called bill gates is putting patents ahead of human lives, i havent read that one but it seems to be what im getting at
I think you might be talking about the Pirbright thing, which has been completely debunked, just idiots on social media spreading lies. C'mon Rod, I like you, don't fall for the crap out there.

If you are talking about the intellectual property stuff, well its more complicated. IP is a bit of a mess. Fact is that the systems of property and free market capitalism are at the heart of where blame really lies. Anyone defending IP rights is doing what they are legally allowed to do. Countries like China and India don't help their cause either with their histories of IP theft, not to mention their protection of criminal organisations that rip off elderly westerners.

Singling out Bill Gates on this is simplistic and as a result misses a lot of the real problems. Poorly run governments are as much to blame in the sense that if they were doing a better job there would be no space for private/corporate players to get involved to the degree that they have.

If you look back at the Human Genome project of the 90s, you have there an example of public and private efforts being made both together and in competition over the IP issue. To a degree they did work together, however there were disagreements mostly because Craig Venter, who wanted to build a business from the work, wanted to patent parts of the genome, and Francis Collins, head of the public arm of the project, didn't. Ultimately Collins won out, and scientists can access the human genome project research for free. That was a rare win for public interest however.

I'm pretty sure Gates would argue that many of the worlds governments can't be trusted with some of the results coming from the research he is funding. And as distasteful as that it, even sadder is that at least in some cases he kinda has a point.

pfizers share price has probably not gone up because nobody would ever sell it no matter how much they offered
That's not how share markets work.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. But the conspiracy nuts state the statement is evidence that the PCR tests detect the flu and state its covid.

Must. Be. True.
Technically it can detect the flu, covid-19 and the common cold. But it detects them separately.

My father in law is in Cumberland LGA and has to get tested every 3 days. The result he got yesterday said, "you did not test positive for Covid-19 but tested positive for rhinovirus"

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I think you might be talking about the Pirbright thing, which has been completely debunked, just idiots on social media spreading lies. C'mon Rod, I like you, don't fall for the crap out there.

If you are talking about the intellectual property stuff, well its more complicated. IP is a bit of a mess. Fact is that the systems of property and free market capitalism are at the heart of where blame really lies. Anyone defending IP rights is doing what they are legally allowed to do. Countries like China and India don't help their cause either with their histories of IP theft, not to mention their protection of criminal organisations that rip off elderly westerners.

Singling out Bill Gates on this is simplistic and as a result misses a lot of the real problems. Poorly run governments are as much to blame in the sense that if they were doing a better job there would be no space for private/corporate players to get involved to the degree that they have.

If you look back at the Human Genome project of the 90s, you have there an example of public and private efforts being made both together and in competition over the IP issue. To a degree they did work together, however there were disagreements mostly because Craig Venter, who wanted to build a business from the work, wanted to patent parts of the genome, and Francis Collins, head of the public arm of the project, didn't. Ultimately Collins won out, and scientists can access the human genome project research for free. That was a rare win for public interest however.

I'm pretty sure Gates would argue that many of the worlds governments can't be trusted with some of the results coming from the research he is funding. And as distasteful as that it, even sadder is that at least in some cases he kinda has a point.

That's not how share markets work.
just so we understand each other that they are defending their IP on the covid vaccine because they won't get money for it that way

Chinese and Indian protection of organisations that rip off elderly westerners should make the big pharma companies relate to them more

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Technically it can detect the flu, covid-19 and the common cold. But it detects them separately.

My father in law is in Cumberland LGA and has to get tested every 3 days. The result he got yesterday said, "you did not test positive for Covid-19 but tested positive for rhinovirus"
has he been intimate with a rhino recently?, you have to stay away from that horn ffs dont bend over to pick up anything

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think you might be talking about the Pirbright thing, which has been completely debunked, just idiots on social media spreading lies.

Anyone defending IP rights is doing what they are legally allowed to do. Countries like China and India don't help their cause either with their histories of IP theft.
Boom.
Muchus crapus on social media and various websites.

Firstly - the patent issued to Gates in 2006, US2006257852 - had nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2 and isn’t even active anymore.

What he argued for was specificity to do with the WTO and what is called TRIPS or Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights.

It was specifically about nations with chequered histories regarding respect of IP not being able to make cheap generic vaccines that might undermine years of research and do more harm than good.

He made concessions on his position provided they were limited and temporary because of the urgency of the need for vaccines to get to poorer countries as quickly as possible during the current pandemic.

I’ve never seen any evidence of his actions having anything to do with his own wealth. If it did, he would instantly lose all credibility of what the B&M Gates Foundation has been about for all these years.

Those pissed off at him - likely that’s over Windows and that’s a legitimate gripe. It’s crap.
Once you go Mac you never go back :-).

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So usual suspects , thoughts on sterile eo? Used on the testing swabs in particular

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It was specifically about nations with chequered histories regarding respect of IP not being able to make cheap generic vaccines that might undermine years of research and do more harm than good.
thats just what the PR department came up with to explain it away, the pfizer vaccine is cheap btw, $30 what they charge apparently is 10 times or more than it takes to make

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spare a thought through this lockdown period for people who live in small homes or high density living units etc..

a big home in Lockdown is fantastic, multiple living areas, big rooms, don’t have to share a bathroom, nice fresh open air, away from your neighbours, spread out your tools, stretch your legs, take a dip in the pool.

but small homes or units, gotta listen to your neighbour belch, smell their shit cookin, listen to them flush the toilet, feel trapped on a small block of land or no block if in a unit complex. Even if you live with people, sharing the same rooms, doing the same things, no privacy. People in jail might have more freedom

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
just so we understand each other that they are defending their IP on the covid vaccine because they won't get money for it that way
Gates doesn't have decision power over Pfizer, it is a German produced vaccine. India could have pre-ordered like other countries did, but didn't, and have been chastised for their hubris (at one point they started gifting vaccines they did have to neighbour countries as a form of soft power diplomacy). As to what is going on, why some vaccines are being allowed to be produced elsewhere (like AZ), and others aren't (like Pfizer and Moderna), the reasons aren't so simple, but they in part come down to the vexed question of IP and associated concerns like incentive. Again, the governments who let vaccine research slide in the wake of SARS, when people knowledgeable about these things said it was a case of WHEN, not IF, a virus became a pandemic, are partly to blame. There should not have been space allowed for private/corporate players to come in.

By the way, Gates Foundation money helped with the AZ vaccine as well. And remember the University of Queensland vaccine that ultimately failed because it was giving false positives for HIV? Yup, Gates poured money into that too. Not ownership money, he put in "here, take this and try and do this with it" money.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
thats just what the PR department came up with to explain it away, the pfizer vaccine is cheap btw, $30 what they charge apparently is 10 times or more than it takes to make
Right so no different to all other companies who try to increase profit and lower cost.

Which PR Department anyway?

It’s been independently stated and nothing to do with the Gates Foundation. The garbage on Farcebook about The Pirbright Institute is just that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gates doesn't have decision power over Pfizer.

As to what is going on, why some vaccines are being allowed to be produced elsewhere (like AZ), and others aren't (like Pfizer and Moderna)
Exactly. And even if Gates has any interest in Pfizer, well so what, it’s a public company, anyone could buy shares tomorrow. Likewise Moderna who are public and have a similar model with their vaccine. The accusations against Gates are just nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.