Country debutant Adam Elliott will be playing for his older brother James

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/7c47684a0de0847fc3f120cc0edd2ba1

ADAM Elliott doesn’t know why his brother stopped talking for two years.

Only that he did.

And the silence, it was terrifying.

“Because James had started speaking,’’ the Canterbury forward recalls of his sibling, when aged five. “But then, he stopped.

“Nothing.

“Our family were afraid he was going to be mute for the rest of his life.”

Yet remaining hopeful, they watched the fridge.

For it was on here, among a collection of those colourful, magnetic alphabet letters, where the little boy with severe autism began communicating.

Elliott says he plays for his older brother James.
“He’d take the letters on the fridge and spell Sports Sunday — his favourite show,’’ Elliott says of the brother 18 months older.

“He couldn’t speak, but he could do that.

“He’d also pull apart alarm clocks, or toy cars, and then put them back together. Genius.”

More than that, too.

For when Elliott, the biggest Country Origin surprise of 2017, comes off the interchange bench on Sunday afternoon, it will be for James.

Sure, they say this game is meaningless.

Elliott, too, drawn unwittingly into coach Des Halser’s controversial decision to ban a host of star Bulldogs, including Mudgee junior Josh Jackson, from playing.

The Elliotts are a close-knit family.
But as for any of this worrying him? Nah.

The Tathra boy aware life can toss up much worse.

“I’m not one for writing names on my wrist when I play,’’ he continues. “Actually, I internalise a lot.

“But my brother and I are so connected ... everything I do is for him.”

And so it will be on Sunday, in Mudgee.

Just as it was last year, against Manly, for his NRL debut. Then again in his first starting game against Souths, on Good Friday just gone.

A match to which James, for the first time in his life, flew.

“Which was massive for our family,’’ Elliott says. “He got into the sheds after the game, too. Got in the team photo.

“That meant the world to him.

“We also went to the races — James loves the horses — and really just had the best weekend.

“As a family, we’re so tight ... there’s not much can get between us.”

Not that autism hasn’t given it a fair crack.

“Oh, it was tough times,’’ the Country debutant continues of his childhood. “Growing up, dad coached my footy and cricket teams, but that’s all he could do for me.

Elliott will make his rep debut against City on Sunday.
“Outside that, my parents had to pour all their time into James.

“It’s why, living in the country, I don’t think there was any another option for us. We couldn’t have lived in the city because my brother was too severe

“But he’s come a long way and I think living where we do — mum and dad being able to invest time in him, being surrounded by great people — is a big part of that.”

The experience, undoubtedly, has shaped Elliott, too.

The proof there in his patience, his humility, even the way this young Bulldog interacted with members of a disabled League Tag side after a training session this week.

“When I was little, I could tell people thought funny of James,” he says. “And that’s probably where my protective instincts first kicked in.

“Then at high school, he also got bullied.

“At 16, I moved away to finish school at St Gregory’s which was hard because I was helping mum and dad a lot.

“He had some really good people in his year at school — I’d drop him to parties knowing they’d look after him — but leaving was tough.

Adam protected James growing up.
“I actually got quite upset at St Greg’s because, no matter how well my brother functions, I knew my parents were struggling and I wasn’t there to be his protector.”

But today?

Well, while one Elliott is preparing to make his Country Origin debut, the other is working in a Bega accountancy firm, numbers coming easy to the mind that once tinkered with radios and toy cars.

Call it a rare reprieve for this fighter who finds even long car rides challenging.

“So Sunday, I’m not sure if James will come up for the game,” Elliott says. “But even if he wants to stay home, watch it on TV, that’s fine by me.

“He’s still as much a part of this team as I am.”

Great story. Growing to this fella bigtime!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kudos to Elliott.. breakout year for him .. deserves a permanent spot in the 17.. his form has been terrific

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow. This guys stature within our team and our hearts seems to be forever growing. I/we have read some great stories about the guy this year. He is really showing his worth both on and off the field. Look forward to watching his career blossom at the dogs!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*goosebumps* ... this is exactly the sort of person we want longterm at our club.

Talented, Humble, and family driven.

Stark contrast to all the dumb fuck cokeheads these days.

He's waited patiently for his chance to play in first grade, and gets better with every game.

His family must be so proud :grinning:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Top story. You never know what people are going thru in their personal lives, he's had alot of challenges.

Best of luck to him in this game.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He reminds me of an old style bulldog like back in the late 70s early 80s
Those of you who were around will know what I mean

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Champion person ,I love how much passion he has for the club

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He deserves eastwoods spot right now he has earned it. He plays way better than eastwood.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a quality human, well done Adam Elliott.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
One of the trainers I see from time to time told me when he was promoted to the top squad last year that he'll be as good or better than Jackson. It was hard to believe after his first couple of games but he is certainly finding his groove and I reckon he runs a much better line than Jackson ATM. Whether that is a result of Jackson having to contend with Reynolds sideways running and inside ball is another thing.

It's also refreshing to see a young guy who just gets on with it and doesn't need the world to give him kudos because he does something noble.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Story brought a tear to my eye

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's really making me look like a fool. If he starts and play big minutes with the quality he is I'm all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.