Could This Be Our Halfback For 2024 & Beyond?

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Piss off Dufty and play Burton or Munster at 1
Mmmm Burton at fullback...interesting idea.

His strength is his running game, we saw how lethal he was last year in the centres with a bit of room to move. . At fullback he would have alot more opportunity to run both sides of the ruck. He can obviously ball play being a 5/8. He has the speed and is only a young guy so could build the stamina

I know there is a lot more to playing fullback but I think he is certainly talented enough to make the transition, not that it would probably happen

Just thinking out loud, but if we were to possibly pick up Munster (long shot) or another top 5/8...who knows

Burton is a footballer first and foremost and has all the tools to be a successful centre, 5/8 or halfback, and if circumstances played out, I'm sure he would make a great fullback as well

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop trying to buy people and pay overs. It might take time but re-establishing our junior development pipeline Is the answer to 2024 and beyond.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Because it is round 6 and we have had a tough draw. The most optimistic of predictions would of had us 2 from 6. We are 1 from 6 and the Broncos and Manly game could of gone either way. I'm surprised that you would be advocating for a coaching cleanout when you were so resolute in your support of Dean Pay. IMO, it is too early in the season to judge and who is the coach to replace Baz? I don't think Flanno is the man and im not even sure that another coach gets better results with this team
Because we were rubbish in the trials and very lucky to beat the Cowboys too. Realistically we should be 0-6. I’ve said many times I supported Pay as he was handed a shit sandwich. Barrett was allowed to pick his own staff and essentially his own squad for 21/22. Enough of the excuses (tough draw, Round 6 etc) - when do good teams say ‘We can start winning in Round 7’?? We are regressing, not improving. I agree I don’t want Flange Sr, so it’s not an easy call but when do we acknowledge that when you recruited the likes of JAC and Burton and you’ve not only not improved on last place from last season but you’re in the same position with no evidence of that position improving??

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because we were rubbish in the trials and very lucky to beat the Cowboys too. Realistically we should be 0-6. I’ve said many times I supported Pay as he was handed a shit sandwich. Barrett was allowed to pick his own staff and essentially his own squad for 21/22. Enough of the excuses (tough draw, Round 6 etc) - when do good teams say ‘We can start winning in Round 7’?? We are regressing, not improving. I agree I don’t want Flange Sr, so it’s not an easy call but when do we acknowledge that when you recruited the likes of JAC and Burton and you’ve not only not improved on last place from last season but you’re in the same position with no evidence of that position improving??
Stop talking sense.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve got to admit, I was wrong also.
I liked Baz’s demeanor, he is a calming type. I also bought into talk from Cleary and Luai about how good an attacking coach he is. DCE, Turbo and Jake T all rated him.
Something is clearly not right at the Dogs though. Perhaps it’s his other coaches (defense, fitness etc) but they are HIS picks.

Time is up, this downward trend with the players we have MUST STOP NOW.

You can’t have a coach who keeps picking JMK, Waddell, Burns, Wakeham and co.

Until this is solved, it doesn’t matter who our “potential new half” is.
I agree with your initial point but who does he pick - not much to choose from

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, things don't look good. IMO, round 6 is too early to make this call. It's reality that we had a tough draw to start the year and have had no luck at all. If we are still in the same position after the next 6 rounds then it will be time to look at other options. Its easy to sack a coach but more difficult to get the right replacement.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realisticly we Beat the Cowboys and the cheating Ref. At least the Bunker had our backs that game.

Realisticlt We should have beat the Bronkos. Knockondumdum single handedly cost us that game

Realisticly We should be 2 from 6.

Considering our Draw Realisticly its a great fucking result given the squad we have.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realisticly we Beat the Cowboys and the cheating Ref. At least the Bunker had our backs that game.

Realisticlt We should have beat the Bronkos. Knockondumdum single handedly cost us that game

Considering our Draw Realisticly its a great fucking result given the squad we have.
We couldny beat the broncos because we couldnt score points ....simple as that

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, things don't look good. IMO, round 6 is too early to make this call. It's reality that we had a tough draw to start the year and have had no luck at all. If we are still in the same position after the next 6 rounds then it will be time to look at other options. Its easy to sack a coach but more difficult to get the right replacement.
Fair enough but I can’t blame the draw. Everyone has to play everyone at some point and good teams don’t blame their draw for their woes. I did not arrive at this position lightly. I’m generally not one for sacking people as any sort of panacea. I never called for Pay to be sacked because he had a reserve grade squad and couldn’t do much about that. I resisted calls for Barrett’s sacking last year despite the spoon (was way too early) and wanted to see things improve this year - but all I’m seeing up to now is a repeat of his mistakes at Manly and our team suffering as a result. I’m sure he’s under the pump and knows it, but if he can’t turn it around the call will have to be made. How many times do we say ‘give it more time’ or ‘next year we’ve got better players coming’ - in the latter case that’s happened both in 21 and 22 and we’re still last.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Cool. I disagree and I don’t play the ‘cheating ref’ game - that’s just a cop out from disgruntled fans.

No squad is ever perfect. Ours is significantly better than it was two years ago - and we’re still last.

As for beating the Ponies - this Friday should tell all then. If we don’t, who are we going to blame then - Refs? Bunker? Corrupt NRL? Betting agencies?

Many of our fans are willing to point the finger at anyone but ourselves. That can’t go on.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if we bought munster he would play fullback, Burton at 13 no chance, he plays 6. Flannigan not the long term option.
Burton will eventually end up at centre or lock

At this stage, Flanagan is definitely the answer until Hayward is ready for first grade

Munster ain't moving to FB, regardless of where he ends up

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton will eventually end up at centre or lock

At this stage, Flanagan is definitely the answer until Hayward is ready for first grade

Munster ain't moving to FB, regardless of where he ends up
If Burton ends up at centre or lock it will be for another club

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough but I can’t blame the draw. Everyone has to play everyone at some point and good teams don’t blame their draw for their woes. I did not arrive at this position lightly. I’m generally not one for sacking people as any sort of panacea. I never called for Pay to be sacked because he had a reserve grade squad and couldn’t do much about that. I resisted calls for Barrett’s sacking last year despite the spoon (was way too early) and wanted to see things improve this year - but all I’m seeing up to now is a repeat of his mistakes at Manly and our team suffering as a result. I’m sure he’s under the pump and knows it, but if he can’t turn it around the call will have to be made. How many times do we say ‘give it more time’ or ‘next year we’ve got better players coming’ - in the latter case that’s happened both in 21 and 22 and we’re still last.
It all comes down to what the professionals know !
Frankly I would like to see TBaz succeed but he seems as if he's failing to take the next step up in coaching,
Should he be judged by what our results are or does the decision makers see and know something we don't ?
We simply can't afford to go though what we went through with Pay Lynne and Hill !!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It all comes down to what the professionals know !
Frankly I would like to see TBaz succeed but he seems as if he's failing to take the next step up in coaching,
Should he be judged by what our results are or does the decision makers see and know something we don't ?
We simply can't afford to go though what we went through with Pay Lynne and Hill !!!
At the end of the day aren’t the results the only measurement? Might be stating the obvious but you can’t win a premiership if you can’t win a game! :-).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cool. I disagree and I don’t play the ‘cheating ref’ game - that’s just a cop out from disgruntled fans.

No squad is ever perfect. Ours is significantly better than it was two years ago - and we’re still last.

As for beating the Ponies - this Friday should tell all then. If we don’t, who are we going to blame then - Refs? Bunker? Corrupt NRL? Betting agencies?

Many of our fans are willing to point the finger at anyone but ourselves. That can’t go on.
We definitely can't deny how bad we are playing making us extremely vulnerable to the environment, and certainly shouldn't exempt referees from making life extremely difficult for us, at the end we all are entitled to our opinions.
I also love to blink my eyes and wish it's not there :-)
At the end of the day aren’t the results the only measurement? Might be stating the obvious but you can’t win a premiership if you can’t win a game! :-).
I worked that out too :-)
I just thought he might get away with it on technicalities :-)

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If he had his time again and saw us start 1-5 even with all of the new signings, then I'd say Mahoney and Kikau wouldn't have signed.
Hopefully Kikau backs out

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think he'd prefer to look after his family, I still think he'll be good for us. JMK and Waddell are the two biggest issues in our team. Mahoney and Kikau will be massive for us. On Kikau he's one of the most damaging ball runners (or decoys because of this) in the NRL.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was never a fan of the signing. Aside from the first game where he dominated he's been disappointing since. I said at the time I'd rather Papalii for much less and Papalii has backed it up again this year.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was never a fan of the signing. Aside from the first game where he dominated he's been disappointing since. I said at the time I'd rather Papalii for much less and Papalii has backed it up again this year.
Did you know that Fisher-Harris wanted to join us ?
He was my choice !
Now...That could have been the perfect forward signing, a leader and a CAPTAIN !!!
Unfortunately the Panties must have realised, outlaying a million dollars a season to keep him :(