Cotric At Centre

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lots of people were dubious about his move to centre but last night he played centre in attack and wing in defence which is the best of both worlds. He was as involved as ever with his trademark dummy half runs. That's good coaching from Baz to utilise his strengths. Cotric isn't the type to wait for the ball to come to him, he's going to go looking for it which you love to see.

Cotric was strong with his carries as always and shrugs off one and two defenders almost every time he carries it. We haven't had a centre as powerful as him since Willie Talau.. It was an encouraging club debut from him and hopefully he's fine for Round 1. He's going to become a fan favourite with how physical and determined he is.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I need to see more of Cotric at centre before being convinced he is better there than on the wing. He could be a good centre but we know he’s one of the games best wingers. I guess it depends which one you want and how much be develops at centre.

The way he runs the ball is much more suited to the wing for mine but I’m happy to see how he goes at centre for the moment.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I need to see more of Cotric at centre before being convinced he is better there than on the wing. He could be a good centre but we know he’s one of the games best wingers. I guess it depends which one you want and how much be develops at centre.

The way he runs the ball is much more suited to the wing for mine but I’m happy to see how he goes at centre for the moment.
The thing is he came to play centre so he's going to be given time there for a while. And if he's still returning kicks and running from dummy half, then he's doing most of the things he does on the wing and more.

It's only his finishing in the corner as a winger we miss out on but if he's given space and early ball in the centres hopefully he can still show that finishing ability and prove that he can put his winger away for a try. So you're right, it's too early to say for sure but it was a very encouraging start.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing is he came to play centre so he's going to be given time there for a while. And if he's still returning kicks and running from dummy half, then he's doing most of the things he does on the wing and more.

It's only his finishing in the corner as a winger we miss out on but if he's given space and early ball in the centres hopefully he can still show that finishing ability and prove that he can put his winger away for a try. So you're right, it's too early to say for sure but it was a very encouraging start.
He didn’t even look to pass last night and that’s going to be his biggest issue at centre I think. He is just that type of player that will run hard and bust tackles that’s why I think he’s always going to be suited to the wing more than centre.

He also escaped being asked any questions defensively because of the basket case on the other side of the field.

I think it’s safe to say he will spend the year at centre for a variety of reasons. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He didn’t even look to pass last night and that’s going to be his biggest issue at centre I think. He is just that type of player that will run hard and bust tackles that’s why I think he’s always going to be suited to the wing more than centre.

He also escaped being asked any questions defensively because of the basket case on the other side of the field.

I think it’s safe to say he will spend the year at centre for a variety of reasons. It will be interesting to watch for sure.
Yeah the passing game was always going to be his biggest issue but then again so many rep centres are just ball runners and never give their outside man a chance. Matt Cooper played dozens of Origin games and never passed or couldn't to save his life.

He's still adapting to the role so if he can maintain his tackle busting ways and huge metres, hopefully he can eventually get more comfortable passing as the season goes on and Baz and the coaches are working on that with him. He at least can offload once he tackle busts which gives me hope he can put Meaney away a few times this season.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought Cotic look OK, he ran hard & looked hard to tackle. However he did look like a strong winger playing in the centres. To develop into a great centre needs to develop more footwork, football awareness & how to set-up his outside players. Hopefully all is work-in-progress.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

but he played both last night.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
but he played both last night.
I thought he played centre and only dropped back on the last to field kick returns? I might have to watch the reply I didn't notice him on the wing except for the kick returns to be fair.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thought Cotric was one of our best players last night. I feel pretty confident whenever he gets the ball. He's going to be an individual centre, not an assister/team centre. A fast tackle breaking centre. I don't want Cotric passing unless it's a blatant 2 on 1 and he'll get better at those the more time he spends at centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I thought Cotric was one of our best players last night. I feel pretty confident whenever he gets the ball. He's going to be an individual centre, not an assister/team centre. A fast tackle breaking centre. I don't want Cotric passing unless it's a blatant 2 on 1 and he'll get better at those the more time he spends at centre.
It looked spectacular but I don't think he was as effective as he could be other than making metres. He was reaching across his body with his left arm to fend, then other times he did switch his ball carrying arm but wasn't as effective, always looks to run back inside, etc. I don't understand why we aren't playing him at right centre..

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It looked spectacular but I don't think he was as effective as he could be other than making metres. He was reaching across his body with his left arm to fend, then other times he did switch his ball carrying arm but wasn't as effective, always looks to run back inside, etc. I don't understand why we aren't playing him at right centre..
My thoughts exactly totally agree beast.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Hoppa is a worse left centre than he is??? I don't know!!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not like he's doing anything on the right atm :tearsofjoy:
Bingo... And if by some chance Hoppa does stay, his deficiencies will be well hidden between Burton and JAC, he will just be a link man who should focus on being defensively sound

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought he played centre and only dropped back on the last to field kick returns? I might have to watch the reply I didn't notice him on the wing except for the kick returns to be fair.
No he definitely defended on the wing. To be honest I didn’t see him much in the centre’s at all. I think he may swap close to the try line

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He sure as hell puts his body on the line with every run and tackle he makes! We could hear the body thuds with every tackle he was involved in and we were sitting a fair way back! Actually we were commenting how we were not surprised he got injured except For the fact thst it was his ankle!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Not keen on cotric playing wing in defence because I'm not overly confident in meaney defending there. The other edge is a problem let's at least have 1 strong edge .