Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
CDC: Please don't travel this Thanksgiving
Murikans: Don't tell me what to do!
Ted Tweet

Play Ted Nugent

on Amazon Music Unlimited (ad)

The global pandemic has provided many challenges throughout 2020, the latest of which is how to address the mass family gatherings at Thanksgiving during a period in which social distancing is of utmost health importance. Several states have tried to enact limitations on the number of people that can gather safely within homes, but rocker Ted Nugent has questioned the move.

In a recent Spirit Campfire Internet show, Nugent shared his thoughts on the restrictions, offering, "There are dirty, rotten, soulless bastards in positions of power that are trying to tell us how we can celebrate Thanksgiving with our families. We need to escape that ugliness — not turn our back on it, because we need to raise hell and let our mayors and our governors and our senators and congressmen know: you can't tell me how many people I have at Thanksgiving. Just shut the [expletive]. You're not in charge of my Thanksgiving. We are in charge of our Thanksgiving. You've got to express that to those people."

Read More: Ted Nugent Rails Against Thanksgiving Attendance Restrictions | https://loudwire.com/ted-nugent-aga...tions/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ted Tweet

Play Ted Nugent

The global pandemic has provided many challenges throughout 2020, the latest of which is how to address the mass family gatherings at Thanksgiving during a period in which social distancing is of utmost health importance. Several states have tried to enact limitations on the number of people that can gather safely within homes, but rocker Ted Nugent has questioned the move.

In a recent Spirit Campfire Internet show, Nugent shared his thoughts on the restrictions, offering, "There are dirty, rotten, soulless bastards in positions of power that are trying to tell us how we can celebrate Thanksgiving with our families. We need to escape that ugliness — not turn our back on it, because we need to raise hell and let our mayors and our governors and our senators and congressmen know: you can't tell me how many people I have at Thanksgiving. Just shut the [expletive]. You're not in charge of my Thanksgiving. We are in charge of our Thanksgiving. You've got to express that to those people."

Read More: Ted Nugent Rails Against Thanksgiving Attendance Restrictions | https://loudwire.com/ted-nugent-aga...tions/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
Standard Ted Nugent

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Ted Tweet

Play Ted Nugent

I think it's fair enough given the way the U.S. legal system is setup, that individual citizens are offended at the prospect of government bureaucrats telling them what they can and can't do in the privacy of their own homes, or who is allowed to visit them in their own home. Particularly for a virus which is not dangerous for ~98% of the American population.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair enough given the way the U.S. legal system is setup, that individual citizens are offended at the prospect of government bureaucrats telling them what they can and can't do in the privacy of their own homes, or who is allowed to visit them in their own home. Particularly for a virus which is not dangerous for ~98% of the American population.
A virus which is under a year old and the full extent of it is unknown, but its that attitude that has helped get them to over 150,000 cases a day and 1500 death a day ,when you say 98% it doesn't sound as bad does it? but with 262,000 deaths and and another 40,000 deaths by Xmas any way you look at it you can't make it sound good

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
A virus which is under a year old and the full extent of it is unknown, but its that attitude that has helped get them to over 150,000 cases a day and 1500 death a day ,when you say 98% it doesn't sound as bad does it? but with 262,000 deaths and and another 40,000 deaths by Xmas any way you look at it you can't make it sound good
There are aspects of the virus that are still unknown/unproven, but there is also an enormous amount of data and medical knowledge about the virus which means humans are able to tailor their responses to the virus better than we could in February/March.

Given more than 60% of all deaths are those over the age of 70 (and most of these being people with pre-existing illnesses) it makes sense to tailor the health response to protect these particular individuals, rather than denying fundamental freedoms to health 10/20/30/40 year olds.

The virus is not a threat to children. Refer to the state of California with a population of 39.5 million:

1.1 million infections, yet only 2 children under the age of 18 dead (this makes the flu more dangerous for children than COVID).

Why would you shut schools when children are not at risk from COVID. New York has recently shut their schools (again).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are aspects of the virus that are still unknown/unproven, but there is also an enormous amount of data and medical knowledge about the virus which means humans are able to tailor their responses to the virus better than we could in February/March.

Given more than 60% of all deaths are those over the age of 70 (and most of these being people with pre-existing illnesses) it makes sense to tailor the health response to protect these particular individuals, rather than denying fundamental freedoms to health 10/20/30/40 year olds.

The virus is not a threat to children. Refer to the state of California with a population of 39.5 million:

1.1 million infections, yet only 2 children under the age of 18 dead (this makes the flu more dangerous for children than COVID).

Why would you shut schools when children are not at risk from COVID. New York has recently shut their schools (again).
Has your life been dramatically impacted since covid?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
But the way our country has handled this has been pretty good ?
I think some states have done better than others. But I think most of the Australian experience with COVID has been characterised by the fact we are an island nation with vast expanses of land and mostly people living in relatively large spaces compared to much of the world..

The risk of COVID in our country is tiny compared to many other countries.

The things I think we did well were:

- shutting down the international borders relatively early.
- NSW contact tracing

Things that were handled poorly

- NSW Ruby Princess
- Victoria's entire response
- Queensland's restrictive controls with no scientific basis for them
- The federal govt handing out endless amounts of cash sending the nation into a debt that our kids and grandkids will likely pay off indefinitely (job keeper, cash grants, job seeker, early access to super) to the point that the states were incentivised to implement draconian rules. There was no down side to these draconian rules because the federal govt has given out so much cash to businesses and individuals.
- SA implementing a hard lock down on the basis of a few small cases

If the federal govt had not thrown around so much cash, none of the states would have implemented the draconian rules which they did. Mostly because their states would have been bankrupt if they had tried to.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think some states have done better than others. But I think most of the Australian experience with COVID has been characterised by the fact we are an island nation with vast expanses of land and mostly people living in relatively large spaces compared to much of the world..

The risk of COVID in our country is tiny compared to many other countries.

The things I think we did well were:

- shutting down the international borders relatively early.
- NSW contact tracing

Things that were handled poorly

- NSW Ruby Princess
- Victoria's entire response
- Queensland's restrictive controls with no scientific basis for them
- The federal govt handing out endless amounts of cash sending the nation into a debt that our kids and grandkids will likely pay off indefinitely (job keeper, cash grants, job seeker, early access to super) to the point that the states were incentivised to implement draconian rules. There was no down side to these draconian rules because the federal govt has given out so much cash to businesses and individuals.
- SA implementing a hard lock down on the basis of a few small cases

If the federal govt had not thrown around so much cash, none of the states would have implemented the draconian rules which they did. Mostly because their states would have been bankrupt if they had tried to.
We had a lot go our way, but you can also see how fast it can spread and how bad it can get if no action is taken

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
We had a lot go our way, but you can also see how fast it can spread and how bad it can get if no action is taken
It definitely can spread very quickly.

The things that limit the virus' risk in Australia (IMO) are:

- No land borders with other countries (we can 100% limit who comes and goes from Australia)
- Warmer and more humid (relative) weather compared to majority of northern hemisphere countries
- Relatively higher amounts of sunlight per day (UV light impacts the virus)
- Lower population density limiting spread
- Cultural differences that (IMO) likely result in us having higher rates of elderly (grandparents) living on their own or in aged care (rather than living in a family home with multiple generations as is the case in many parts of Northern Europe).

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
America's handling of this COVID outbreak will be remembered as a text book, play by play example of what not to do and will be the punchline of many a joke around board rooms for years - "Well we didn't completely "Covid" that merger, so bonuses for everyone".

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
America's handling of this COVID outbreak will be remembered as a text book, play by play example of what not to do and will be the punchline of many a joke around board rooms for years - "Well we didn't completely "Covid" that merger, so bonuses for everyone".
Considering the multiple countries in the northern hemisphere that have worse death per capita stats, you sure are fixated on America for some particular reason.

Any reasonable analysis of how countries have performed in relation to COVID needs to consider many different things, rather than just headline death statistics.

For example, the political system has to be considered. Countries like Australia and America with three tiered systems (local, state and federal) are far more hamstrung in their ability to respond to a virus than countries like (for example) New Zealand who only have two tiered government.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Considering the multiple countries in the northern hemisphere that have worse death per capita stats, you sure are fixated on America for some particular reason.

Any reasonable analysis of how countries have performed in relation to COVID needs to consider many different things, rather than just headline death statistics.

For example, the political system has to be considered. Countries like Australia and America with three tiered systems (local, state and federal) are far more hamstrung in their ability to respond to a virus than countries like (for example) New Zealand who only have two tiered government.
Nope anyway you look at it they fucked it

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you say 'they' do you mean some particular states of America more than others? Or do you mean the entire country and every single part of their response is f**ked or?
America as a whole could you argue 2 or 3 states? Possibly but on the whole they fucked it,the president, the politicians, the protesters, the looters, the selfish ***** who couldn't sacrifice their " rights" for the greater good , yes they fucked it and its far from over ,yet again see where they are by Xmas because at the moment they are performing atrocious and its going to beyond that in the next 30 days

Status
Not open for further replies.