Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone is curious about the latest data, it does mainly hit people over 55 with 55 year olds having a death rate of about 4 times a really bad flu season. 65 year olds the death rate is about 13 times a really bad flu season. 45 times as bad for 75 year olds, and 150 times as bad for 85 year olds. Much lower rates for those under 55 but those under 55 still make up about 10% of the deaths.

Population wise, that's about 6.5 million people who will have at least a 4x higher chance of dying from Covid-19 than the flu. But 6.5 million is obviously only a "tiny fraction of the community"
Sorry dude can you explain a bit better. Genuinely dont understand.

6.5mil world wide or in Australia?

Does the 6.5mil assume everyone is infected or does that relate to only those recorded infected?

Also, i mean we know alot more about the virus now than we did in Jan to May. Ie, how it works,how to treat it more effectively, preventative measures etc. Are those stats inclusive of the whole year? Or are they specific to the first major wave (jan to may) or second wave (june to sept)?

With the latest stats. Could you provide tje % rather than as a multiplier of the flu deaths?? Would be interesting to see the death amd infection rate separately for jan to may and may to sept.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry dude can you explain a bit better. Genuinely dont understand.

6.5mil world wide or in Australia?

Does the 6.5mil assume everyone is infected or does that relate to only those recorded infected?

Also, i mean we know alot more about the virus now than we did in Jan to May. Ie, how it works,how to treat it more effectively, preventative measures etc. Are those stats inclusive of the whole year? Or are they specific to the first major wave (jan to may) or second wave (june to sept)?
6.5 Mil Australia wide (approximately). That's 6.5 million in the at risk age group. Not 6.5 million that will die or will get infected. Just 6.5 million in the at risk age group meaning that it's 6.5 million that you have to section off and protect.

That's based on a meta-analysis of the latest Covid-19 research and Australian population data from 2016. The population is actually higher now but I don't have any data after 2016.

To break it down, that's around 6.5 million people over 55 who live in Australia who would have at least a 0.4% risk of death if infected.

Of course it's a lot more complex than that as you have to account for how many will get infected, the different rates of average death (0.4% for 55 year olds, 15% for 85 year olds), and many other factors.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
6.5 Mil Australia wide (approximately). That's 6.5 million in the at risk age group. Not 6.5 million that will die or will get infected. Just 6.5 million in the at risk age group meaning that it's 6.5 million that you have to section off and protect.

That's based on a meta-analysis of the latest Covid-19 research and Australian population data from 2016. The population is actually higher now but I don't have any data after 2016.

To break it down, that's around 6.5 million people over 55 who live in Australia who would have at least a 0.4% risk of death if infected.

Of course it's a lot more complex than that as you have to account for how many will get infected, the different rates of average death (0.4% for 55 year olds, 15% for 85 year olds), and many other factors.
Any stats for us immune suppressed folk?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The dumb c*** wanted a reaction she got one ,c*** give their lives for this country all we got to do is alter our lifestyle a bit for a virus we don't know the full effects of
You're really buying into fear mongering.
Ok we don't understand something just strip us of more freedom and allow government to become more tyrannical with restrictions!

I'm so glad I'm not a father because theres no future for newer generations!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Any stats for us immune suppressed folk?
Nah unfortunately. But for immune suppressed it'll be hypothetically worse than an immune suppressed getting a bad strain of flu with some other potential side effects (higher chance of pneumonia, potential heart damage)

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok we don't understand something just strip us of more freedom and allow government to become more tyrannical with restrictions!

No not fearmongering there is a virus out there we do not know the full extent of,there's people out there who are desperate for attention and want a reaction. It's not that fucking hard to lay low a bit and ride this out it's not asking much

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No not fearmongering there is a virus out there we do not know the full extent of,there's people out there who are desperate for attention and want a reaction. It's not that fucking hard to lay low a bit and ride this out it's not asking much
I don't know if the woman in question was doing what she did for attention. But you're spot on about the rest. A little bit of personal sacrifice in your social life might mean we bring an unpredictable virus under control sooner. Personal freedoms matter very little to someone that is facing death because a few people care more about themselves and transmit the virus to someone who is in a high risk category because they can't just follow temporary safety protocols.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Played in what way? I Read the article but it doesn't seem to allege the was trying to play anyone?

I recognise the law is the law but I think most people hold the view that a pregnant woman who appears to be no threat to anyone should be treated with some precaution by the police in the first instance. Couldn't they visit, ask her to take the post down - if she complies then mission accomplished everyone is happy. If she refused then fine arrest her.

My main issue is why there were no arrests and why there was no such effort put in to arrest anyone associated with the BLM protest.

Quite the opposite with BLM - the police actually 'took a knee' and joined in the protests..... hrmmm

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/gxlbzy

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Played in what way? I Read the article but it doesn't seem to allege the was trying to play anyone?

I recognise the law is the law but I think most people hold the view that a pregnant woman who appears to be no threat to anyone should be treated with some precaution by the police in the first instance. Couldn't they visit, ask her to take the post down - if she complies then mission accomplished everyone is happy. If she refused then fine arrest her.

My main issue is why there were no arrests and why there was no such effort put in to arrest anyone associated with the BLM protest.

Quite the opposite with BLM - the police actually 'took a knee' and joined in the protests..... hrmmm

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/gxlbzy
The original BLM protests were sanctioned by the government. The second ones weren't and I believe there was arrests there.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The original BLM protests were sanctioned by the government. The second ones weren't and I believe there was arrests there.
It wasn't sanctioned. The court said no but they still did it anyway. The only reason they did arrest anyone in the second one was because of the flack the first one received from the general public. They knew they couldn't let another one go unchecked.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It wasn't sanctioned. The court said no but they still did it anyway. The only reason they did arrest anyone in the second one was because of the flack the first one received from the general public. They knew they couldn't let another one go unchecked.
Nah. It was originally blocked by the courts but the ruling was overturned on the day of the protests and they received court approval to go ahead

The protest after that was illegal and the police arrested several people after they refused to move on.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
How do you mean sanctioned?

the question is why police didn’t raid houses and arrest ppl for organising and attending an illegal protest, yet they are now.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone is curious about the latest data, it does mainly hit people over 55 with 55 year olds having a death rate of about 4 times a really bad flu season. 65 year olds the death rate is about 13 times a really bad flu season. 45 times as bad for 75 year olds, and 150 times as bad for 85 year olds. Much lower rates for those under 55 but those under 55 still make up about 10% of the deaths.

Population wise, that's about 6.5 million people who will have at least a 4x higher chance of dying from Covid-19 than the flu. But 6.5 million is obviously only a "tiny fraction of the community"
I find this stat extremely misleading. New York which had the worst outcomes of any location on earth has had a total of 33,000 deaths.

Its confusing for people to see you talk about 6.5 million people with a certain risk of dying.

whereas in the entire world there hasn’t even been 900,000 deaths since this Chinese flu started.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How do you mean sanctioned?

the question is why police didn’t raid houses and arrest ppl for organising and attending an illegal protest, yet they are now.
I was talking about the Sydney ones. The Melbourne ones they probably would do the same but they only just came up with the idea.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

There was a saying the nazis used to say back in the day.... “for your safety”

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I find this stat extremely misleading. New York which had the worst outcomes of any location on earth has had a total of 33,000 deaths.

Its confusing for people to see you talk about 6.5 million people with a certain risk of dying.

whereas in the entire world there hasn’t even been 900,000 deaths since this Chinese flu started.
Due to lockdowns and other measures out in place. We're at the stage of the pandemic where measures worked and people say, "see we didn't need lockdowns"

NY is a perfect example. They tested 8.5 million people and found 469,000 cases. That's only a small portion infected which would have been a lot higher without lockdowns.

And 66,000 from 469,000 would be 14% of those infected. But that's obviously not an accurate stat as they didn't test the whole population, but it's large enough to cause concern.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Fuck all protesters, achieves nothing and pissed off normal people.
Are you telling me you don’t really see what is happening? I thought out of all people on here you would realise assassin

Status
Not open for further replies.