Corey Wadell

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mistakes don't have to mean a play that shows up on the stat sheet as an error. It could be flopping in for a poorly timed six again call.. It could be a bad high shot or pushing a pass that wasn't on.. It could be leaving too big a gap in defence or flying in to put a shot on in defence and missing which creates a line break.. All of which Waddell does regularly.

He had a better season this year but he was still a very flawed player despite that. And the previous two years his form was shocking. I don't blame the club for not re-signing him considering all of the above. He's still far too inconsistent and unreliable. Every good thing he does is generally followed by a dumb play. We need more consistent and smarter players.
[emoji115]good comment from a fan that obviously watches the game and understands it ..

Those who have admitted they only really watch the highlights really aren’t in a position to fully comment on the bigger picture like this …

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had a decent season in a contract year, was putrid the first two years we had him. If he’s resigned, bearing in mind no one else has rushed to sign him, give him a 1x1 with the option in our favour. No multi year deals!!!
Just curious about these 1 x 1 contracts in favour of one or other party...

How do they work?
If its in the players favour, does that mean HE gets to decide if he is staying and the club has no contractual way out other than payout?

And what is the timeline for decision?
Nov 1 or any other date?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d understand the scrutiny if he was on a hectic contract yo but we know for a fact he was on 180 last year.
So what harm is a lazy 2x year 250k deal.
Worst case is he just slinks into backup status in NSW cup. Best case is he keeps improving.
Can’t see any player out there who would be better for that money and that’s honest, he is also still young.
No point worrying about it Uleh PaulS has already confirmed Waddell to dolphins.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[emoji115]good comment from a fan that obviously watches the game and understands it ..

Those who have admitted they only really watch the highlights really aren’t in a position to fully comment on the bigger picture like this …
@B-Train nailed the faults in Waddell's game.

Looks like Gus has identified that in order to improve, this kind of player must be replaced by more reliable players able to contribute with a positive performance and actually assist in a win...not hamper with mistakes and low percentage plays and ill discipline.

He wasn't the only player like that in the team, there was Oki, Sutton, TPJ etc for sure but if Gus decides he'd rather weed out this kind of player and not re-sign, then so be it for our 2024 season and possibly some semblance of a bunch of competent players able to execute CC gameplan and coaching.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You mentioned this figure in 4 from 5 consecutive posts. You are either pushing a point or the records stuck, *click* the records stuck *click* the records stuck *click*...........
As long as people keep making the same inaccurate assessment about Waddell....it bears repeating.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mistakes don't have to mean a play that shows up on the stat sheet as an error. It could be flopping in for a poorly timed six again call.. It could be a bad high shot or pushing a pass that wasn't on.. It could be leaving too big a gap in defence or flying in to put a shot on in defence and missing which creates a line break.. All of which Waddell does regularly.

He had a better season this year but he was still a very flawed player despite that. And the previous two years his form was shocking. I don't blame the club for not re-signing him considering all of the above. He's still far too inconsistent and unreliable. Every good thing he does is generally followed by a dumb play. We need more consistent and smarter players.
TK loves to blame its popular scapegoats for the unquantifiables. It's a great way of maintaining a negative opinion of a player without having to prove it, or providing easy opportunity for it to be disproven.

The penalty and ruck infringement arguments are easy to refute. Waddell conceded 6 penalties all year, and I doubt they were all for high shots....in any case, a forward who gives away 6 penalties in 22 games is hardly a disciplinary liability.

Not sure how many ruck infringements Waddell conceded (zero tackle doesn't seem to record the stat and NRL stats only lists the top 50.) I can tell you that Waddell wasn't in the top 50 players in the comp for ruck infringements conceded or average ruck infringements per game and that he conceded a maximum of 4 ruck infringements all year (probably less).

As for the pushed passes, defensive lapses, etc.... there's no easy way to refute those claims, as there is no metric for measuring them... debate is totally subjective. What I will say is you'd be hard pressed to find a player on our team who didn't make their share of defensive lapses this year. Pushed passes happen when a team is chasing points (which we almost always are), and I don't think Waddell is close to our biggest offender when it comes to throwing offloads or passes that aren't on, to be honest. Cognitive bias tends to mean people are more likely to notice the errors and lapses of players they have a personal issue with. I think people are significantly overstating Waddell's flaws, because they don't want to admit they've been wrong about him and he has become one of our most consistent performers this year. Discipline is always going to be a problem in a team struggling as much as ours, and I think it's a credit to Waddell that he is one player who has managed to significantly improve his discipline and decision making, when the team as a whole has not improved much at all.

The blokes Waddell plays with week in, week out adjudged him to be our second best player this year. They clearly don't see him as the "deeply flawed" player some of you see him as. At the end of the day, I'll take the opinions of his peers over the opinions of fans with well established agendas against him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
@B-Train nailed the faults in Waddell's game.

Looks like Gus has identified that in order to improve, this kind of player must be replaced by more reliable players able to contribute with a positive performance and actually assist in a win...not hamper with mistakes and low percentage plays and ill discipline.

He wasn't the only player like that in the team, there was Oki, Sutton, TPJ etc for sure but if Gus decides he'd rather weed out this kind of player and not re-sign, then so be it for our 2024 season and possibly some semblance of a bunch of competent players able to execute CC gameplan and coaching.
He didn't, though....two of his claims have been comprehensively refuted. The others are unquantifiable and completely subjective....ie can you really hold one player responsible for confusion in a defensive line that is chaotic across the board? Can you blame a player for trying to make things happen in a team that struggles for attacking ideas?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ok you got me if they are the real stats. Seems like he makes mistakes every game at critical times and fucks momentum. But stats are stats. Well done.
3 points for you. You are Pre season Daly M leader.
They are the real stats, baby.....reality is, a team that is struggling across the board is always going to make errors in both attack and defence....Waddell makes less than most. Or at least that was the case this year. I don't know how we could even consider not re-signing him. We are shedding forwards like a cat sheds fur and with the exception of Preston, the forwards Gus and CC have brought in so far have not done well for us....two of them left without even completing a full season for us. Corey has shown he is committed and will play for his teammates. You have to question the decision making if we are letting go of guys like Waddell and signing guys like Pele and Davey.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He didn't, though....two of his claims have been comprehensively refuted. The others are unquantifiable and completely subjective....ie can you really hold one player responsible for confusion in a defensive line that is chaotic across the board? Can you blame a player for trying to make things happen in a team that struggles for attacking ideas?
I'm afraid we can ;)...it was clearly all Waddell's fault lol

It's up to Gus ...but looks like he is happy to let him move on.....he may well find some really good consistency at another club....don't deny him that opportunity :grinning:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm afraid we can ;)...it was clearly all Waddell's fault lol

It's up to Gus ...but looks like he is happy to let him move on.....he may well find some really good consistency at another club....don't deny him that opportunity :grinning:
Gus oversaw the signings of Pele, Davey and Sutton, and the release of JMK to sign a hooker who performed much worse for more than double the money, so can't say I have a lot of faith in his recent decision making, to be honest. It seems like he is doing everything in is power to screw up our pack more than it already is.

Shedding players and not signing anyone decent as replacements seems to be a winning strategy when it comes to losing.... lol

#justiceforCorey

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus oversaw the signings of Pele, Davey and Sutton, and the release of JMK to sign a hooker who performed much worse for more than double the money, so can't say I have a lot of faith in his recent decision making, to be honest. It seems like he is doing everything in is power to screw up our pack more than it already is.

Shedding players and not signing anyone decent as replacements seems to be a winning strategy when it comes to losing.... lol

#justiceforCorey
You may be right...but it's the current situation we, as Bulldog supporters, have to accept....recruitment and retention all in Gus' hands.

As I said I posted his highlights years ago coming from Penriths Ball POTY but he hasn't emulated that agile, skilled running game from that time on a consistent basis. He had everything going for him. Maybe at a new club, he will.

If Corey is close to minimal money then he may have been retained if Gus and Ciro thought he had a place in this apparently new set up of harder training etc etc but apparently they don't want him in the team for 2024. Must be a reason for that considering you have pointed out his good points...so.....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It could be flopping in for a poorly timed six again call.. It could be a bad high shot
Both of those are recorded in stats, 6 penalties in 22 games, ranked 11th in our team and 162nd in the NRL. Hardly a bad statistic.

Always a Bulldog

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You may be right...but it's the current situation we, as Bulldog supporters, have to accept....recruitment and retention all in Gus' hands.

As I said I posted his highlights years ago coming from Penriths Ball POTY but he hasn't emulated that agile, skilled running game from that time on a consistent basis. He had everything going for him. Maybe at a new club, he will.

If Corey is close to minimal money then he may have been retained if Gus and Ciro thought he had a place in this apparently new set up of harder training etc etc but apparently they don't want him in the team for 2024. Must be a reason for that considering you have pointed out his good points...so.....
It may rest in Gus and Ciraldo's hands, but that certainly doesn't mean they are immune from criticism.

Having said that, it's not confirmed they don't want him in the team, just yet.

He showed signs of emulating his junior potential this year....seems a very odd time to let him go.... especially as he continued to play with commitment even after the rest of the squad had given up on the year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Waddell is a world beater. But he doesn't lack for effort. I think he's shown gradual improvement since his first year here. It didn't look like his improvement began this season either (lazy until contract season argument). So for me, if he got another year/two with us to show he can consistently keep the errors, defensive lapses etc down, I wouldn't mind. As long as the price is right. But it comes down to what the staff think.

They obviously know better if they're able to negotiate for contracted talent with more potential upside than Waddell. But it's been a poor bunch this year. But sometimes you have to look for the best in those rather than tossing the lot. At this stage I think odds are that the un-contracted players are likely gone. We might still retain a few more, but I assume the bulk of retention is done. More clubs will look at offloading players though. So there might be some quality popping up to compete for.

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think he had a strong year which improved as the season progressed and I like players improving when the team's trajectory was on the decline. I don't think you lose from keeping players like that especially as he wouldn't be on big coin.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
They are the real stats, baby.....reality is, a team that is struggling across the board is always going to make errors in both attack and defence....Waddell makes less than most. Or at least that was the case this year. I don't know how we could even consider not re-signing him. We are shedding forwards like a cat sheds fur and with the exception of Preston, the forwards Gus and CC have brought in so far have not done well for us....two of them left without even completing a full season for us. Corey has shown he is committed and will play for his teammates. You have to question the decision making if we are letting go of guys like Waddell and signing guys like Pele and Davey.
Fair enough. You can have Waddell, he is a middle or bench though but I'm not competing with anyone else for his services.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Both of those are recorded in stats, 6 penalties in 22 games, ranked 11th in our team and 162nd in the NRL. Hardly a bad statistic.

Always a Bulldog
Waddell had 4 games of 5 missed tackles and 1 game of 9 missed tackles this season. That's a pretty bad statistic and is a big part of why he's being moved on.

What you posted also doesn't reflect the timing of giving away the six again late in the tackle account, or knocking it on in our own half when we've just scored or are in trouble, or racing out of the line and leaving massive holes that lead to tries and line breaks.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMHO Waddell often tried too hard - similar to Mahoney in that the harder he tried the more mistakes he would make. Extremely frustrating for effort players - whether with loads of ability or limited ability - to be in a team that had a number of low effort players eg tpj, okunbor, thompson.

Reactions: ATT

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What you posted also doesn't reflect the timing of giving away the six again late in the tackle account, or knocking it on in our own half when we've just scored or are in trouble, or racing out of the line and leaving massive holes that lead to tries and line breaks.
More than happy to debate this with you.

Firstly I was simply pointing out that 2 statistics you posted are recorded/reported and aren't that bad, in fact they are better than 161 other NRL players and better than 10 other players in our team. Being such a small number the penalties aren't that hard to look up, let's go;

No penalties whatsoever in Rounds, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, and 27

Did not play Round 13, 17, 18, 19 and 23.

Which leaves Round 3 v Tigers, penalty at 41.50, no effect on the game as Bateman knocked on the subsequent set of 6. Penalty at 33.52, no effect on the game as Koroisau made an error on the very next play. We won that game.

Round 7 v Parramatta, 1 penalty at 25.08 and Parra scored in the next set of 6, That's 1 for your claims

Round 9 v St G, sin binned 57.54, no effect, Okunbor ws penalised 2 minute later than led to a try. We won that game.

Round 10 v Canbra, penalty 43.00 Canbra don't score in the next set of 6.

Round 20 v Donkeys. penalty 12.49, Donkeys score in that set of 6, That's makes 2 for your claim.

That's twice in 22 games played, hardly a damming statistic which is a strong indication that you have your Waddell hate glasses on and that unfairly emphasises your preconceived biases.

Always a Bulldog