Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Corey Allan set to join Bulldogs as Souths look to make play for Penrith discard Josh Mansour | Daily Telegraph
Trent Barrett’s Belmore rebuild continues to take shape, with Queensland Origin fullback Corey Allan set to wear Canterbury’s No.1 jersey in 2021.

Allan is on the verge of being released by South Sydney to take up a three-year contract with the Bulldogs, which would allow the Rabbitohs to make a play for out-of-favour Penrith winger Josh Mansour.

Allan will join Nick Cotric (Canberra), Jack Hetherington (Penrith), Kyle Flanagan (Sydney) and Corey Wadell (Manly) as Canterbury’s new recruits, with Melbourne’s Josh Addo-Carr signed from the 2022 season.
Corey Allan will likely get to play fullback at the Bulldogs.

Both Allan and Mansour are contracted to their respective clubs for 2021, but have been told they are free to look elsewhere.

It is understood Allan is currently on a deal worth about $330,000 at Souths, but rival clubs had been quoted a figure as high as $500,000 a season for the outside back.

Mansour, 30, has been told he will likely start the season in reserve grade if he remains at Penrith, who are looking to transition Charlie Staines into their starting side.

If Mansour links up with the Rabbitohs, the club at which he played under-20s before heading west to Penrith, he will compete with Alex Johnston and Jaxson Paulo for a wing spot.

The Rabbitohs are also well stocked in the centres with Dane Gagai and Campbell Graham the likely first-choice pairing, with Braidon Burns, Jed Cartwright and new recruits Taane Milne and Tautau Moga vying for places in a crowded backline.

Allan, 22, has had a remarkable two years at South Sydney after leaving the Broncos.

Corey Allan made his State of Origin debut in 2020.

He made his NRL debut in 2019 and played 29 games for the Rabbitohs before being picked at fullback for Queensland in last year’s State of Origin decider.

While Allan had an up-and-down night in his Origin debut, the Maroons claimed a famous series victory at Suncorp Stadium.

But his Queensland and South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett will now grant him a release from the final year of his contract to head to Canterbury.

Allan was set to lose South Sydney’s No.1 jersey this season with Test and Origin star Latrell Mitchell to return from a hamstring injury.

The Rabbitohs have given Allan permission to look at other opportunities and new Bulldogs coach Barrett is expected to lure him to Canterbury with the carrot of playing fullback.

“We’ve been having discussions over the last week or so, we are open to the opportunity,” said Allan’s manager Sam Ayoub.

“Souths are happy for Corey to stay, but he has limited opportunity in his preferred position at fullback with Latrell there.

Souths are interested in Josh Mansour.

“Souths are aware we have been talking with the Dogs and our preference is for him to end up there this year rather than next year.

“I spoke to Corey on Monday and he is very happy at Souths and if he stays there it won’t be an issue.

“But if he can move for a better opportunity to be a regular fullback, consolidate on his Origin debut and put that to good use on a regular basis at the Dogs then the appeal is there.”

Barrett has been steadily bolstering the Bulldogs’ ranks after Canterbury slumped to 15th spot last year.

Cotric is his biggest signing while NSW Origin star Josh Addo-Carr will join the club from Melbourne in 2022.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Corey Allan set to join Bulldogs as Souths look to make play for Penrith discard Josh Mansour | Daily Telegraph
Trent Barrett’s Belmore rebuild continues to take shape, with Queensland Origin fullback Corey Allan set to wear Canterbury’s No.1 jersey in 2021.

Allan is on the verge of being released by South Sydney to take up a three-year contract with the Bulldogs, which would allow the Rabbitohs to make a play for out-of-favour Penrith winger Josh Mansour.

Allan will join Nick Cotric (Canberra), Jack Hetherington (Penrith), Kyle Flanagan (Sydney) and Corey Wadell (Manly) as Canterbury’s new recruits, with Melbourne’s Josh Addo-Carr signed from the 2022 season.

Both Allan and Mansour are contracted to their respective clubs for 2021, but have been told they are free to look elsewhere.

It is understood Allan is currently on a deal worth about $330,000 at Souths, but rival clubs had been quoted a figure as high as $500,000 a season for the outside back.

Mansour, 30, has been told he will likely start the season in reserve grade if he remains at Penrith, who are looking to transition Charlie Staines into their starting side.

If Mansour links up with the Rabbitohs, the club at which he played under-20s before heading west to Penrith, he will compete with Alex Johnston and Jaxson Paulo for a wing spot.

The Rabbitohs are also well stocked in the centres with Dane Gagai and Campbell Graham the likely first-choice pairing, with Braidon Burns, Jed Cartwright and new recruits Taane Milne and Tautau Moga vying for places in a crowded backline.

Allan, 22, has had a remarkable two years at South Sydney after leaving the Broncos.

He made his NRL debut in 2019 and played 29 games for the Rabbitohs before being picked at fullback for Queensland in last year’s State of Origin decider.

While Allan had an up-and-down night in his Origin debut, the Maroons claimed a famous series victory at Suncorp Stadium.

But his Queensland and South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett will now grant him a release from the final year of his contract to head to Canterbury.

Allan was set to lose South Sydney’s No.1 jersey this season with Test and Origin star Latrell Mitchell to return from a hamstring injury.

The Rabbitohs have given Allan permission to look at other opportunities and new Bulldogs coach Barrett is expected to lure him to Canterbury with the carrot of playing fullback.

“We’ve been having discussions over the last week or so, we are open to the opportunity,” said Allan’s manager Sam Ayoub.

“Souths are happy for Corey to stay, but he has limited opportunity in his preferred position at fullback with Latrell there.

“Souths are aware we have been talking with the Dogs and our preference is for him to end up there this year rather than next year.

“I spoke to Corey on Monday and he is very happy at Souths and if he stays there it won’t be an issue.

“But if he can move for a better opportunity to be a regular fullback, consolidate on his Origin debut and put that to good use on a regular basis at the Dogs then the appeal is there.”

Barrett has been steadily bolstering the Bulldogs’ ranks after Canterbury slumped to 15th spot last year.

Cotric is his biggest signing while NSW Origin star Josh Addo-Carr will join the club from Melbourne in 2022.

So sounds like its for fullback. Wonder where avo plays next year if burton comes? Either way its much better than Holland n Montoya

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So sounds like its for fullback. Wonder where avo plays next year if burton comes? Either way its much better than Holland n Montoya
Hopefully Averillo gets first crack at 5/8 this year and I guess it depends on how well he performs. He might force Tbaz to keep him in the side
but I have no idea where. Centre is probably the only realistic position at this point unless Allan fails to impress because he would need to have a blinder this year to keep Burton out in 22.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hahah tell him what you really feel.

I've called out @BEAST MODE plenty of times on his apparent negativity but in this case he's simply stating facts.

He's said it's a decent signing, but people are trying to make out we've signed some superstar fullback because he played origin when there wasn't a lot of competition for that spot. And he's right.

Get what you're saying but in this case .... I have to disagree with you mate. Sorry.
I dont think anyone has suggested he is a superstar anywhere in this thread though. At best they have suggested a quality signing. No one is saying he is our Rockstar fb.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just remind me please.......Is Cory Allan still contracted to the Bunnies for 2021?......................If so then reading the media that means that they want move him on so that they can sign Mansour (at a discounted rate). Surely then we must expect the Bunnies to contribute to Allan's price for 2021......seems fair. Don't help the Bunnies out by taking him with no contribution.........
This would only be true if our price was lower then theirs. But I think you will find his contract upgraded if he comes to the dogs. Where's Mansour is on big coin, and will sign for les with the rabbits, therefore penrif pay the difference.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully Averillo gets first crack at 5/8 this year and I guess it depends on how well he performs. He might force Tbaz to keep him in the side
but I have no idea where. Centre is probably the only realistic position at this point unless Allan fails to impress because he would need to have a blinder this year to keep Burton out in 22.
From what I have seen at 2.5 training opposed sessions, so not a great sample base, Cotric and Hopoate were at centre most often with DWZ and Crichton outside, so I would say the first 3 are fairly certain, Crichton of course being injured subsequently. Meaney was roaming (my description) inserting himself in various positions, also taking practise high kicks, so it looked like maybe fullback. Closer in it was Lewis (that will go down well) most often, and I have to say he looked sharp and his passing and kicking were both accurate. Averillo was hard to pin down in the opposed sessions, on a couple of sets he was opposite Lewis, in the sets without Crichton he was outside, from memory, Hopoate. At one session both Flanagan and Meaney stayed on the field and did some goal kicking practise.

Early times, Barrett and the rest of the coaching staff were watching everything, so I'm sure they are developing their ideas of who fits where.

Go Dogs

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People on here going on about speed,what about the fact he’s only 22,played state of origin,and was a real attacking weapon for south’s last year,and from highlights I’ve seen certainly doesn’t look slow to me,great signing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I dont think anyone has suggested he is a superstar anywhere in this thread though. At best they have suggested a quality signing. No one is saying he is our Rockstar fb.
Look harder then. There's been a Barba comparison, "he's the QLD fullback" and other completely false claims regarding his speed, experience, etc.

Like I said I get people are excited but stop making ridiculous claims. He has played 29 games with most of them being dead average. Had a good spell at fullback towards the end when he got back into the team and that's it. He's also in the Hoppa/Boyd mould of fullbacks and we know how well liked Hoppa is on here.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Look harder then. There's been a Barba comparison, "he's the QLD fullback" and other completely false claims regarding his speed, experience, etc.

Like I said I get people are excited but stop making ridiculous claims. He has played 29 games with most of them being dead average. Had a good spell at fullback towards the end when he got back into the team and that's it. He's also in the Hoppa/Boyd mould of fullbacks and we know how well liked Hoppa is on here.
Says the bloke who was calling for Georgallis to coach as he was the GOAT and would fix our attack

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Oh yh, because I was completely serious at that point. Idiot.
Ahh ok you were joking. You made dozens of serious posts about it. Clueless. I thought I was blocked meow haha

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ahh ok you were joking. You made dozens of serious posts about it. Clueless. I thought I was blocked meow haha
Okay, I'll block you again.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Okay, I'll block you again.
You admitted you were wrong about Thompson which amazed me so why not admit you were wrong about Georgallis? If you don’t have the nuts to admit you were wrong you shouldn’t laugh at and attack other posters for having their own point of views

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People on here going on about speed,what about the fact he’s only 22,played state of origin,and was a real attacking weapon for south’s last year,and from highlights I’ve seen certainly doesn’t look slow to me,great signing.
I am one of those who is very happy that we have signed Allan (if it is the case), as long as it is at the right price. It appears that the new regime is not paying significant overs at this stage so am comforted there. However I saw quite a bit of him playing last year and what stuck with me was his good passing & ability to put teammates into gaps (like Hoppa), but also a noticeable lack of pace (unfortunately also like Hoppa). Despite this I would be very happy with his signature. Now I am hanging for good news on a hooker & prop signing & a couple of '22 signings coming early.....

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was a lot better with his hands this year when he played, but he also has the agility of a Mac truck. He’s a beast running hard and straight but as a winger he’s too stiff, he can’t seem to dive low over the line.
Always was a Second rower. Only moved to wing by Des cause of shortages. I think he should go back to the pigs.