Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would hardly call Cory Allan a BIG body, the guy is 90kg soaking wet and stands 186cm high!
Seen him in interviews he looks heavier than 90kgs. Brian To’o was listed as 183cms and 84 kgs at one stage. He’s about 176cms and 100kgs.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not a bad signing. Can cover various backline spots. Would make a nice centre if we move on hoppa (which we should do as he isn’t going to get any faster).

Handy fullback. But might throw a spanner in the works for averillo. Doubt an “origin” player would play second fiddle to a rookie.

Either way we are short on backs so either fullback or wing for this year will help us out greatly. And if hoppa does leave then he walks into the number 4 jersey for 21.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hes only 22 and played fb in a winning origin game great potential and terrific signing if true
Just on channel 7 news we have signed him to 3 year deal. Doesn't what year if 2021 or 2022.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we have to remember to that Hoppa probably won’t be re-signed after this year. So it opens up a centre spot for either Allen or Avo depending on how this year goes. If Ado Carr or Avo kill it at fullback then we have options that we haven’t had for a long time.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Happy with Allan coming on board. Healthy stocks now in the backs. Not fussed on DWZ, C Chriton, and Hoppa at his end.
Avo still with some development left in him and will need to force his way into the side which I’m sure he will do at some stage. Avo’s defence needs to improve first. At who’s expense will remain to be seen. But competition for positions is a luxury we haven’t had for a long time, so it will keep everyone hungry.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dogs set to continue spending spree; Titans sign legend’s son: Transfer Whispers

Souths Corey Allan is reported to be off to the Bulldogs. Picture: Brett Costello
Souths Corey Allan is reported to be off to the Bulldogs. Picture: Brett Costello

BULLDOGS SET TO SNARE SOUTHS FULLBACK:

Well, it seems like Trent Barrett’s spending spree will continue with the Bulldogs set for another boost in their outside backs stocks.

According to Channel 7’s Michelle Bishop, South Sydney fullback Corey Allan is expected to sign a three-year deal that will see him move to Belmore effective immediately.

It sees him shift from a back-up to Latrell Mitchell and Alex Johnston at the Rabbitohs to the first choice under Barrett.

But what would it mean for how the Bulldogs line up this season and what is the flow-on effect on a number of outside backs at the club who come off-contract in the near future?

For the short-term, it would see Allan at fullback and Will Hopoate moving to the centres alongside Nick Cotric.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak would likely then play on the wing along with Nick Meaney.

Christian Crichton and Jayden Okunbor are other alternatives on the flank but both are sidelined with significant injuries.

The arrival of Josh Addo-Carr in 2022 complicates matters as there is the potential he too could play at fullback, which would require Allan to move to the wing where he is more than capable but not as effective.

Barrett said in December his current plan was to use Addo-Carr on the wing but he was willing to reconsider depending on what his best fit was to bring the best out of the Storm flyer.

Allan developed his ball-playing skills later in the season playing at the back in place of Mitchell, finishing with seven try assists and nine linebreak assists.

It also means that young gun Jake Averillo, who has said he sees himself as a fullback or five-eighth long-term, will have this upcoming season to prove he deserves either spot given Matt Burton will arrive at the club in 2022.

Regardless, if Allan is seen as best placed to give Barrett’s side an extra dimension out the back in attack and Addo-Carr plays on the wing - what does it mean for a host of Bulldogs soon to be off-contract?

Crichton, Hopoate, Meaney and Okunbor are all without a contract at the end of 2021 and the Bulldogs will have to give serious thought to who they can afford holding onto.

Crichton’s leg injury, which is reported to have ruled him out for the season, would be a big blow in robbing him of an opportunity to prove himself in a contract year.

Similar for Okunbor as he looks to break back into the side mid-year when returning from his injury.

Hopoate has obvious experience value and leadership to offer and was one of the club’s most consistent performers last season.

Meaney, on the other hand, has versatility on his side and is also a goal-kicking option.

Last edited:

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any intel on potential signings however signings like this (that don't break the bank) suggest we might be gearing up for a big play at someone like Grant and / or Crichton.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any intel on potential signings however signings like this (that don't break the bank) suggest we might be gearing up for a big play at someone like Grant and / or Crichton.
Fuck me if we pull off getting a grant or any top dummy half LOOK OUT the dogs are back in business

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think this is an awesome signing. I understand the concerns around Avo but I think we will see quite a high turnover of outside backs at the end of this year with Hoppa, Christian Crichton, Meaney and others coming off contract.

Just need to make sure we don't have him turn out to be a Tyrone Peachey who is midway through his career and still doesn't have a solid position in the team. 2021 is the year to experiment with Avo a bit so by 2022 we have an idea of where he fits in going forward.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dwz has 2022 here as last year of his deal. I’d like to see okonbor kept cheap for a 2 year deal and feel he owes us that.

Rest can go though if Jake can’t lock in centre we really need someone to replace hoppa. I was hoping Crichton or staggs but if cotric flops at centre we are in a pickle at the centre’s.

Jac and cotric are class and hold 2 slots but outside that nothing certain.

Hoppa is for this year but going forward?

If Allan signing is true I can only imagine it’s fullback/wing and I’d go.

Allan/Jake
Dwz
Cotric
Hoppa
Allan/Meaney till okonbor back.

Jake at 6 if no burton.

Allan/jac/Jake
Allan/jac
Cotric
?
Okonbor/dwz

Still feel we urgently need a centre if Allan is true I can’t see the $ for Crichton or staggs (perhaps crichtons said no and staggs said not interested) then the momoroski type centre signing would make sense as cheap and upside.

That way all our $ from hoppa and Napa jmk and Lewis etc can go to b Smith and someone like fisher Harris or this type of prop to fuck Napa off.

Allan/jac/Jake
Dwz/okonbor
Cotric
Momoroski
Jac/Allan

Burton
Flano

Fisher Harris
B Smith
Thompson

Rfm
Elliott