Official Corey Allan released

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully Flanno is next. They should be making it clear to him he has no future at the club beyond 23 and he’s free to go elsewhere.

That’s exactly what happened with Allan, he will have secured a multi year deal elsewhere so it’s better than him seeing out the last year with us.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
ᴄᴏʀᴇʏ ᴀʟʟᴀɴ ꜱɪɢɴꜱ ᴏɴᴇ-ʏᴇᴀʀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʏᴅɴᴇʏ ʀᴏᴏꜱᴛᴇʀꜱ

Telegraph Sport Paul Crawley

Canterbury are continuing their roster overhaul, clearing more space from their top-30 squad with a former Origin star switching clubs.

Canterbury continue to clear the decks to ease their roster logjam, releasing former State of Origin winger Corey Allan.

Allan has signed a one-year deal with the Sydney Roosters in a bid to get his stalled NRL career back on track.

Allan is the latest Bulldog to exit the kennel while still under contract, following the recent departure of centre Aaron Schoupp to the Gold Coast, captain Josh Jackson’s early retirement.

The 24-year-old shot to fame during his time at South Sydney, where he earned an Origin call-up for Queensland.

That was the catalyst for him signing a big-money three-year deal with the Bulldogs.

But his two-year stay at Belmore didn’t turn out as hope, with his form reflecting the club’s struggles.

“Corey Allan has been released from the final year of his contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, effective immediately,” the club said in a statement on Thursday morning.

“We thank Corey for his two years of service to the Bulldogs and wish him all the best for the future.”

While Allan only managed 21 NRL games for Canterbury, his previous form at the Rabbitohs showed glimpses of the talent he can be.

He came into the Souths team in 2019 and, the following season, filled in for Rabbitohs superstar Latrell Mitchell at fullback and ultimately played in Queensland’s historic State of Origin win under Wayne Bennett.

The Roosters obviously see Allan as someone who can play anywhere in the outside backs, and with Joseph Suaalii’s potential move to the centres, he could find himself in a battle for a wing spot opposite Daniel Tupou.
Roosters have been signing absolute crud recently. Jake Turpin, Corey Allan, Jaxson Paulo too.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Assuming that Fox, Kiraz, and Averillo are currently locks for the backs, unless a couple of snap signings are made soon, you'd have to think we are going to be seeing a fair bit of two or three out of Alamoti, Burns, Casey, Perham, and Skelton. And we'll see all five of them if Fox, Kiraz, and Averillo have any injuries.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like he is going to the Roosters... to resurrect his career. We are getting pretty light in the 3/4 line. Wouldn't surprise me if the challenge was put to Allen to prove that he should be part of the Bulldogs future plans and he decided to take the easy way out. Gus doesn't want someone around that is not going to have the right attitude, Gus has mentioned it a few times but he is Looking for players that belong with the Bulldogs.

I am not surprised about Allen, but thought Allen would have been before Schoupp. And after Schoupp thought Gus may have wanted to hang onto them. Based on this I think Alamoti has been training the house down, making it impossible for them to leave him out of the team next year.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Allan will be fighting momirovski for that left centre spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Casey is MUCH cheaper than Allen though. Allen was on a stupid amount of money, whereas Casey is probably on minimum wage. Casey can do a similar job to Allen so this is a fantastic move by Gus
Casey can do a better job....or a lot worse. Either way we have no backs now, don't know how people can argue otherwise.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see Panther releasing him early though so that's the main problem...but yes, we can barely string together a starting backline nevermind some depth, surely a player or two is coming in? I agree, I rate Kiraz at centre far more highly than anywhere else.
We’ll wait and see.
And the experienced backs (Burns, Okunbor) are not consistent enough. I will not doubt Gus’ plan or that he will work it out, but it just feels like it’s going to be another slog in 2023 without quality backs.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton will not get an early release. Panther never release players early and definitely not the caliber player of him.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do we see any chance Sualli joins us? He’s stuck behind Manu and Teddy. And doesn’t play left side centre and also doesn’t want to play wing. We currently have a Right centre spot and FB spot up for grabs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I disagree. I believe it’s opposite actually. We were heavy in outside backs, but with Schoupp and Allan being released, we are fairly balanced now. Avo, Kiraz, Burns, Alamoti, Skelton and Casey. Personally my back 5 would be 1. Avo 2. JAC 3. Kiraz 4. Alamoti 5. Casey. And we have Okunbor if we’re desperate plus I’m sure I’ve forgotten some kids etc. Edit: Or you could have Skelton inside JAC with Kiraz at fb. Plenty of guys to make a good backline.

If only they’d piss Okunbor off, but maybe they rate him? Or he’s not on heaps. Gus clearly wanted to clear these bad contracts from before his time. Citric and Allan combined for $1m supposedly!
Don’t forget perham from eels think he will be somewhere in our backline personally.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has the Cap been finalised?, if Allen is Top 30 how did Roosters do that considering they had other players just on Train and Trial because Cap was not known.