Cool Your Jets

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Bulldogs need a coach for 2023 and beyond. A few thoughts:

1. I was a big advocate about Potter being interim coach, and while there has been noticeable improvement, I’m not jumping the gun and asking for him to be installed after one win. Parramatta were dreadful, as good as we were.

2. Making a decision on who coaches should have zero to do with beating other teams (Tigers, Warriors etc) to the punch. Coaches who are available are also aware of which clubs need a coach. Imagine if our next coach actually turned down offers from those other teams because they *wanted* the gig at the Bulldogs. That’s the kind of coach I want here.

3. Of the names that are being thrown around, I think it’s important to think of their performance with other teams. Nathan Brown is a straight no. Madge is a premiership winning coach but he had a golden lineup. I don’t think all of his success can be directly attributed, and he has floundered at the woeful Tigers for some time. Woolf is massive in the UK but so was Holbrook. The NRL is a different beast. Flanagan took the Sharks to their first premiership against the odds and is known to be a ‘development’ coach. He’d also have a better shot at recruiting marquee players. Potter has the Bulldogs DNA but his CV is light. Ciraldo might end up being a stellar FG coach but I don’t want to be the first team to take a gamble with him. Dymock should have been our coach when Pay was selected (in my opinion) but the fact that he hasn’t progressed to that level yet shows the decision was probably right. Filter hasn’t performed that strongly at FG level and is too invested in the Roosters to fire our engines. He’s likely more focused on NSW and Ch9 to be seeking a change.

Summary:

A decision should not be made for at least another 6-8 weeks. Give Potter time to show what he’s got and don’t start the pressure mill on anyone just yet as it’s not needed. We need a coach who wants to be here and we need to surround that coach with people who are less focused on their own career, and more on the success of our club. My pick would be Flanagan with Potter as an assistant. I’d love to see Graham and Ennis back at the club in some capacity too.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't buy the line that Parra were awful yesterday. They looked solid and threatening in possession, and were solid in defence - they looked like a team in the top eight. I know the coach was down on his side, but I was seeing a team that could have run away with the game at any minute.

The Dogs rose for the occasion, and I won't take anything away from their win. Potter must take some credit for that.

I agree that we need some consistency before hailing Mick as the next best thing, but I am warming to him as coach.

Just think what we could be like if we build on yesterday's win, then add Kikau and Mahony to the mix.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. I was a big advocate about Potter being interim coach, and while there has been noticeable improvement, I’m not jumping the gun and asking for him to be installed after one win. Parramatta were dreadful, as good as we were.

2. Making a decision on who coaches should have zero to do with beating other teams (Tigers, Warriors etc) to the punch. Coaches who are available are also aware of which clubs need a coach. Imagine if our next coach actually turned down offers from those other teams because they *wanted* the gig at the Bulldogs. That’s the kind of coach I want here.

3. Of the names that are being thrown around, I think it’s important to think of their performance with other teams. Nathan Brown is a straight no. Madge is a premiership winning coach but he had a golden lineup. I don’t think all of his success can be directly attributed, and he has floundered at the woeful Tigers for some time. Woolf is massive in the UK but so was Holbrook. The NRL is a different beast. Flanagan took the Sharks to their first premiership against the odds and is known to be a ‘development’ coach. He’d also have a better shot at recruiting marquee players. Potter has the Bulldogs DNA but his CV is light. Ciraldo might end up being a stellar FG coach but I don’t want to be the first team to take a gamble with him. Dymock should have been our coach when Pay was selected (in my opinion) but the fact that he hasn’t progressed to that level yet shows the decision was probably right. Filter hasn’t performed that strongly at FG level and is too invested in the Roosters to fire our engines. He’s likely more focused on NSW and Ch9 to be seeking a change.

Summary:

A decision should not be made for at least another 6-8 weeks. Give Potter time to show what he’s got and don’t start the pressure mill on anyone just yet as it’s not needed. We need a coach who wants to be here and we need to surround that coach with people who are less focused on their own career, and more on the success of our club. My pick would be Flanagan with Potter as an assistant. I’d love to see Graham and Ennis back at the club in some capacity too.
Flanagan, he’s the only one that has publicly said he would love the job. He’s the front runner for sure.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't buy the line that Parra were awful yesterday. They looked solid and threatening in possession, and were solid in defence - they looked like a team in the top eight.
The Dogs rose for the occasion, and I won't take anything away from their win. Potter must take some credit for that.
too much emphasis from the media has been put on 'parra being awful' and not enough 'bulldogs were great' but i guess thats expected

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Potter has said hes just interim and isnt looking for a longterm gig..
What else did people expect him to say?, taking over a team coming stone motherless last with a diabolical roster and recent playing history. I fucking laugh at people judging mick on his demeanor in the coaching box and at pressers instead of looking at his coaching ability. Thank fuck Flange snr isn't happening. If Mick can put a few more good wins together with this side before the end of the year he should be offered the job, He's got an old school hard edge that this club desperately needs right now.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't buy the line that Parra were awful yesterday. They looked solid and threatening in possession, and were solid in defence - they looked like a team in the top eight. I know the coach was down on his side, but I was seeing a team that could have run away with the game at any minute.

I agree that we need some consistency before hailing Mick as the next best thing, but I am warming to him as coach.

Just think what we could be like if we build on yesterday's win, then add Kikau and Mahony to the mix.
I was pretty annoyed (but not surprised) when Moses was interviewed after the match. He did not say one positive thing about the Bulldogs or their excellent performance.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I agree with the positivity for the Dogs. This was their best game for years. But Parramatta were definitely a long way below their best.

Reactions: CMP

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with the positivity for the Dogs. This was their best game for years. But Parramatta were definitely a long way below their best.
I would say that was because they had no idea what they were up against. It was the attitude of the Bulldogs that beat them, not a drop in form.
If we can repeat that attitude in the coming weeks, and get a few back to back wins, every team will worry about facing us.

Irakli

New Pup
Reaction score
Parramatta got absolutely schooled yesterday and it wasn't from a lack of trying. It should have been so obvious to anyone watching the game that we frustrated the shit out of them. Our attack since Mick Potter has taken over has been unreal, the only available coach I would take would be Flanagan but do not want him whilst his son is at the club imo let's see it out with Potter till a better option comes along, no need to rush this decision.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Spot on Chris.

Our defence, our aggression in defence, our intent in defence played the part in putting Parra off their game. Defence is half of the game. That's why I gave TPJ the 3 points, he set that intent, he set that aggression and that rattled Parra.

Parra weren't playing bad, it's just that our defence dominated their attack.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Summary:

I don't think anyone is calling for him to be appointed head coach now. Rather people are pointing out the steady improvement the past few weeks he's been in control and that if we continue on this uptick in form/performance and wins over the rest of the season, then maybe we should seriously consider Potter as a permanent solution.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is calling for him to be appointed head coach now. Rather people are pointing out the steady improvement the past few weeks he's been in control and that if we continue on this uptick in form/performance and wins over the rest of the season, then maybe we should seriously consider Potter as a permanent solution.
There are a few threads that have popped up overnight literally calling for him to be installed immediately. Quite a few supporters of that move, right here in The Kennel.

Also, the media is starting to blow the horns for Potter, eg that article from 'journalist' Paul Crowley.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What else did people expect him to say?, taking over a team coming stone motherless last with a diabolical roster and recent playing history. I fucking laugh at people judging mick on his demeanor in the coaching box and at pressers instead of looking at his coaching ability. Thank fuck Flange snr isn't happening. If Mick can put a few more good wins together with this side before the end of the year he should be offered the job, He's got an old school hard edge that this club desperately needs right now.
I dont think any Dogs fan could be critical of Potter..hes come into a side that was playing poor and has improved them..

Potter Cant do much more this early on.. we saw improvment in our attack early on with him in charge.. i doubt any Dogs fan is bagging Potter out and hes come here to help even though he lives far out of Sydney.. understandable he cant commit after this year or may not even want to move hos family down at his age..