Controversy to end Bronco's v Tigers - Refs boss admits wrong call made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's no way they can argue this one:
1. If markers WEREN'T square, then Tigers should have got a penalty about 5 minutes earlier for Broncos doing the exact same thing.
2. If markers WERE square, then the penalty should not have been blown.

Whichever way you look at it, Tigers were not given a fair chance to win the game, which has deprived them of potential earnings (as I'm sure you get more money for winning a game from NRL).

Therefore if I was the Tigers board, I'd be launching legal action against the NRL, stating they were not given a fair chance to contest the game and either demanding equal share of points/money for the win, or a rematch.

Sooner or late a clubs going to do it and only then will we see the refs answer for their stuffups.
I'd fucking love to see a conglomerate of gamblers mount a class action case against the NRL showing some of the hundreds of poor refereeing decisions that have directly influenced games and cost people money with gambling losses. If you could display enough occasions that they've occurred I think that legally it would cause an inquiry into how the betting was placed and whether these biased decisions saved the gambling agencies money. The case wouldn't have to reach it's conclusion and I bet you'd see the referees making better decisions straight away.

Well they have admitted now they got it wrong https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/24...sutton-admits-wests-tigers-penalty-incorrect/ .. This shit just ain't good enough anymore, you can't just come out after the game and be oops sorry peeps we got that wrong and directly influenced the result of the game, our bad.
As in the post above, this should be an occasion where the NRL should voluntarily pay out the potential winnings that anyone who backed the Tigers could have taken away since for them to admit to a mistake, means the mistake was blatant.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think so. haha

Only Bronco haters say it was a rort. :tonguewink:
Rubbish. I couldn't give a shit about which teams are blatantly robbed of a chance to win games. I blow up more when it's my team, but I hate the fact that this kind of shit happens so often and nothing is done about it. Given that the sponsorship deal in place offers the NRL a percentage of gambling takings it leaves huge questions about whether their is corruption in the refereeing ranks, and the lack of a crackdown on it raises the question of whether it is approved by higher authorities within the game.

I want the game to at least appear to be fair and right now it doesn't look that way.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/24...sutton-admits-wests-tigers-penalty-incorrect/
NRL referees' boss Bernard Sutton has conceded the controversial decision to award the Brisbane Broncos a penalty which led to the match-winning penalty goal against the Wests Tigers on Friday night was wrong.

Tigers coach Ivan Cleary was upset after the game over referee Ashley Klein's decision to penalise the home side's marker defence at Campbelltown, which led to Jamayne Isaako kicking a penalty goal to seal a 9-7 victory in the 87th minute.

Sutton told Fairfax Media on Saturday: “Ultimately, the penalty was incorrect. There are a couple of contributing factors to how the referees came to that decision.
“Initially, Robbie Rochow doesn’t start square, but he does adjust as the play-the-ball happens.
“The other thing is when (Joe) Ofehangaue plays the ball, after playing it he steps towards the left.

It gives the illusion to the referees that (Robbie) Rochow is standing standing beside, but he actually does adjust to the point where the ball is to be played."

Sutton said he had spoken to the referees after the match and had also contacted Cleary to let him know he also believed it was an incorrect call.

Rightio Tigers... time to take legal action against NRL now they have admitted the call was wrong. Either have the result overturned and one point each, have result overturned and 0 points, or replay the game midweek.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/24...sutton-admits-wests-tigers-penalty-incorrect/
NRL referees' boss Bernard Sutton has conceded the controversial decision to award the Brisbane Broncos a penalty which led to the match-winning penalty goal against the Wests Tigers on Friday night was wrong.

Tigers coach Ivan Cleary was upset after the game over referee Ashley Klein's decision to penalise the home side's marker defence at Campbelltown, which led to Jamayne Isaako kicking a penalty goal to seal a 9-7 victory in the 87th minute.

Sutton told Fairfax Media on Saturday: “Ultimately, the penalty was incorrect. There are a couple of contributing factors to how the referees came to that decision.
“Initially, Robbie Rochow doesn’t start square, but he does adjust as the play-the-ball happens.
“The other thing is when (Joe) Ofehangaue plays the ball, after playing it he steps towards the left.

It gives the illusion to the referees that (Robbie) Rochow is standing standing beside, but he actually does adjust to the point where the ball is to be played."

Sutton said he had spoken to the referees after the match and had also contacted Cleary to let him know he also believed it was an incorrect call.

Rightio Tigers... time to take legal action against NRL now they have admitted the call was wrong. Either have the result overturned and one point each, have result overturned and 0 points, or replay the game midweek.
It was an illusion.... so it’s a magic trick that got the referee, that makes it alright then!!! Give us a break, the only magicians on the field are your own men Sutton! Very bad magicians I must admit!!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else see that blatant shite to rob the Tigers? Worst call in years.
Agree. This is what happens when you defend very minimal points. Now we certainly know how we played from looking at it from the outside.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't think so. haha

Only Bronco haters say it was a rort. :tonguewink:
Not the case. Even your own team looked embarrassed by the circumstances that led to that win.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He only made the decision after the field goal missed. Go figure.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Agree. This is what happens when you defend very minimal points. Now we certainly know how we played from looking at it from the outside.
So no close win is ever a good thing?

Damn we have some shit talking malcontents on this forum.

The tigers defended minimal points over the opening two rounds and beat two of the favourites to win the comp.

No two games are directly comparable anyway. What absolute nonsense. :p

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Thanks for admitting you robbed us......now what?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So no close win is ever a good thing?

Damn we have some shit talking malcontents on this forum.

The tigers defended minimal points over the opening two rounds and beat two of the favourites to win the comp.

No two games are directly comparable anyway. What absolute nonsense. :p
Im happy you're satisfied with tight games defending one try dude. Close wins and being robbed blind by referees is close but not close enough dude. Keep the uncalled for insults to your self. My view is a valid observation about the game.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Im happy you're satisfied with tight games defending one try dude. Close wins and being robbed blind by referees is close but not close enough dude. Keep the uncalled for insults to your self. My view is a valid observation about the game.
How did I insult you? You’re talking nonsense and you’re acting like a malcontent by complaining following a win in which we showed improvement. I’m as entitled to that view as you are to your (in my opinion extremely negative) views about our football team. Just calling it as I see it mate.

Your post is silly and I could argue my post was a valid observation about you just as easily as you make your argument.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How did I insult you? You’re talking nonsense and you’re acting like a malcontent by complaining following a win in which we showed improvement. I’m as entitled to that view as you are to your (in my opinion extremely negative) views about our football team. Just calling it as I see it mate.

Your post is silly and I could argue my post was a valid observation about you just as easily as you make your argument.
Bro this is the Bronx v Tigers game im commenting about. You ok dude?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Bro this is the Bronx v Tigers game im commenting about. You ok dude?
Haha well yeah, but you’re the one who made the link to our game by saying the tigers/ broncs game gave us an outside perspective on how we played.

I can be a bit brash but all I’m really saying is the season is young and a win is a win... we got one last night and of you want to just stick to talking about the tigers, they have already had two impressive wins this year and win those games with gritty d.

I do kind of see what you’re saying.... if you play to defend a lead, it does open the door a bit. But the tigers were playing a similar style that has worked well for them this year. And both are teams that have undergone some key changes. As the season goes on both will probably grow more confident and expansive when holding a lead. Gritty d early in the season is never a bad sign imo...

Our right side is a bit of a worry but goal line defence and resolve to protect points in d were really good last night I thought.

Anyway, sorry I called you a malcontent.... bit I do get the feeling some are just way too hard to please on this forum. I font really mean any harm. Lol

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha well yeah, but you’re the one who made the link to our game by saying the tigers/ broncs game gave us an outside perspective on how we played.

I can be a bit brash but all I’m really saying is the season is young and a win is a win... we got one last night and of you want to just stick to talking about the tigers, they have already had two impressive wins this year and win those games with gritty d.

I do kind of see what you’re saying.... if you play to defend a lead, it does open the door a bit. But the tigers were playing a similar style that has worked well for them this year. And both are teams that have undergone some key changes. As the season goes on both will probably grow more confident and expansive when holding a lead. Gritty d early in the season is never a bad sign imo...

Our right side is a bit of a worry but goal line defence and resolve to protect points in d were really good last night I thought.

Anyway, sorry I called you a malcontent.... bit I do get the feeling some are just way too hard to please on this forum. I font really mean any harm. Lol
Under Des Utility...sheeesh....the way we played under Des. All good bud!

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the poor Tigers & what happened last night & this is what I think.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the poor Tigers & what happened last night & this is what I think.

So you won’t sign my change.org petition? :p

I don’t really care about the Tigers... just think it was not a good look to end a game that way. Shit happens, but it would be nice if supporters of all teams could have more faith in the refs.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So you won’t sign my change.org petition? :p

I don’t really care about the Tigers... just think it was not a good look to end a game that way. Shit happens, but it would be nice if supporters of all teams could have more faith in the refs.
I will sign your petition. (as long as it's not boot the Broncos out of the comp etc)

I will never have faith in the refs.

Though I loved them last night. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.