Opinion Contracted players for 2020 that need to be tapped on the shoulder at the end of this season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You might not think you’re random fan but I bet the players do!
“Random” would indicate that no one knows my name, which is not the case, but as I said it’s irrelevant. To the point, to whom exactly has Jackson said that he has “lost confidence in the club and the Coach”?

Go Dogs

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id happily pay half of Elliotts Tolmans Hoppas contracts to play elsewhere next year. Thats if other clubs are willing to take them. Im sure these 3 are on back ended deals. Should at least free up 700-800k in our cap id say. Sign a gun centre with that money and a hooker.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
“Random” would indicate that no one knows my name, which is not the case, but as I said it’s irrelevant. To the point, to whom exactly has Jackson said that he has “lost confidence in the club and the Coach”?

Go Dogs
I don’t know what Jackson thinks or says to anyone. His form indicates something isn’t right though.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t know what Jackson thinks or says to anyone. His form indicates something isn’t right though.
My guess (yes, guess) is that he’s carrying an injury because I’m not seeing any dramatic drop off in his effort. End of season let’s see, I’m thinking big surgery, followed by months of rehab.

GomDogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My guess (yes, guess) is that he’s carrying an injury because I’m not seeing any dramatic drop off in his effort. End of season let’s see, I’m thinking big surgery, followed by months of rehab.

GomDogs
Let’s hope they get the rehab right this time because it looks like they botched it last pre season.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Give yourself a triple uppercut

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don’t understand why everyone is so negative on the squad. Besides Melbourne (world club challenge and minor premiership) name me any other club that won 2 pieces of silverware last season?
And we r on track to do it again sitting 3rd in reserve grade even after our terrible start. Building a winning culture. Who needs a team of 17 quality first grade players when we have a squad built to win trophies

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
This year we have - Brown, Lichaa, Fualalo, Tualau, Harper, Katoa, Martin all off contract.

I would not re-sign any of them

Next year we have the majority of the squad off contract and the only players i would re-sign are - Jackson, DWZ, JMK (NSW Cup Depth), Remis Smith, Brandon Wakeham, Sue (NSW Cup Depth)

Players contracted beyond 2020 - Napa (2021), Crichton (2021), Meaney (2021), Stimson (2022), CHN (2022), Ogden (2021), Whoopi (2021)
How we signed Crichton for that long I have no idea, massive defensive liability

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Looking at main post and what's unfolded since, I'd just say Holland and Montoya, but both of them could be used as back up.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would like the club to give certain players the "ricky stuart" and tell them they are not part of the future plans and encourage them to try and find a new contract.. even though they are contracted for 2020.

My list is:

Hopoate - need him gone ASAP and may attract some interest
Montoya - doubt will get any takers
Holland - doubt there will be any takers but Gus has a hard on for him
Tolman - been a great servant, but his service is no longer required and may be needed elsewhere
Elliott - needs to go and apparently had big interest from Parra when his contract was renewed in 2017, but doubt he would still have the same interest..

Im sure I could name another half a dozen, but these are the top of my list...

Foran is an obvious choice, but no club will touch him with the size of that contract, so he may as well stay and may have something to offer next year with a stronger roster..

Thoughts ??
Hopoate has been solid for us this year he still has something to offer.i would keep him.
Holland just isn’t cutting it tries hard but would replace him.
Tolman is a work horse he doesn’t get much credit on here but I would let him see out his contract.
Elliot is ok not brilliant but gives 100%
Montoya can go.
Foran fit is worth keeping.he still gives 100%.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looking through the list the following are off contract by the end of 2020:

Keep:
DWZ - Must re-sign ASAP
R.Smith - Must re-sign ASAP
Jacko - Must keep, I'd hate nothing more than to see him put on any different colours, the bloke has even everything he has and is a warrior.
JMK - If he accepts being a depth utility player then keep him.
To'omaga - Keep him but he actually needs to get consistent minutes

Outs:
Elliot - He can go unless we can keep him for unders.
Hopoate - Never warmed to him and whilst he has been decent he isn't nothing special, he can go.
Fualalo - Id only keep him for another season as depth, otherwise he can go.
Holland - Good person, average player, hopefully he goes.
Lichaa - Gone
Montoya - Gone
C.Smith - Gone
Sue - Gone

Undecided:
Cogger - Depends how he goes next year, has the talent but needs to work on his defence, lets see how he goes.
RFM - Looked decent as a prop, I really like him and if he can continue improving and stay injury free then he might be good to keep around.
Foran - If he can stay healthy next season and give us atleast 20 games and is willing to take 600-700k then keep him.
Lewis - Don't know about him, love his attitude and defence but he holds us back as a half, maybe if he put on weight and developed as a lock?
Tolman - Ageing and I'd only keep if he took a paycut

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like the club to give certain players the "ricky stuart" and tell them they are not part of the future plans and encourage them to try and find a new contract.. even though they are contracted for 2020.

My list is:

Hopoate - need him gone ASAP and may attract some interest
Montoya - doubt will get any takers
Holland - doubt there will be any takers but Gus has a hard on for him
Tolman - been a great servant, but his service is no longer required and may be needed elsewhere
Elliott - needs to go and apparently had big interest from Parra when his contract was renewed in 2017, but doubt he would still have the same interest..

Im sure I could name another half a dozen, but these are the top of my list...

Foran is an obvious choice, but no club will touch him with the size of that contract, so he may as well stay and may have something to offer next year with a stronger roster..

Thoughts ??
Not sure what coin Hoppa is on but I really like what he brings. Easily one of our most consistent performers. Everyone wants a quick flashy centre but Hoppa is not out of his depth lining up against any other centre in the comp. if he had a few more yards of pace we would all like him.
Happy to agree to disagree as I do comprehend the negatives you will come forward with.

The rest of them...100% spot on.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not sure what coin Hoppa is on but I really like what he brings. Easily one of our most consistent performers. Everyone wants a quick flashy centre but Hoppa is not out of his depth lining up against any other centre in the comp. if he had a few more yards of pace we would all like him.
Happy to agree to disagree as I do comprehend the negatives you will come forward with.

The rest of them...100% spot on.
He's on 600-800k back ended. I think he's worth 400-500k.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 500 he is worth every cent. It’s not that I don’t think he is good enough but 800k is way overs. That’s marquee money and only Jackson falls under that category out of our squad for mine.