Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn’t Georgallis the attacking coach? So unless Pay is completely ignoring his suggestions he isn’t exactly setting world on fire with our attack.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Experienced coach didn't work.
Inexperienced coach with Bulldogs DNA didn't work.
Complete change in playing group didn't work.

We've tried the traditional ways of change with little or even worse effect. I think it's time to think outside the box and just do something crazy. Re-invent revolutionary attacking formations, try completely new defensive tactics, change the way traditional positions work...

I don't know how we do it, but it can't get any worse than it is at the moment. We're going to have to work with what we've got. I look at Leicester City and what they achieved with 5000-1 odds and surely if they can do it in a league where the top teams have massive financial advantages, we can as a club in a mediocre league!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Georgialis as interim coach till we can get flannagan or bellamy

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's all that happens around here. If a team is doing shit, everyone immediately becomes and expert and calls for the coaches head.
I get what you're saying - people see a player who has a good game and all of a sudden we should sign them for 10 years but I think you're defending the indefensible with Pay.

He has shown he has no game plan, no clue on what to do in general and is very poor with player selections. There are players that should be much further ahead and the team has capability to be better than sitting last. Sometimes we need to accept good clubmen or players don't automatically make good coaches.

His appointment was a last ditch attempt by Dib to save his ass.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what you're saying - people see a player who has a good game and all of a sudden we should sign them for 10 years but I think you're defending the indefensible with Pay.

He has shown he has no game plan, no clue on what to do in general and is very poor with player selections. There are players that should be much further ahead and the team has capability to be better than sitting last. Sometimes we need to accept good clubmen or players don't automatically make good coaches.

His appointment was a last ditch attempt by Dib to save his ass.
Last sentence pretty much hits the nail on the head

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Listening to ABC radio on Sunday and Johnny Gibbs called our attack impotent...he said can't fault the effort but we offered nothing in attack.at half-time apparently he threw down his head phones in frustration when we had a set to do something and cogger just kicked it to storm player on the last.
We can play second phase football but refuse to do so.against parra napa threw a pass whilst taking it up from a kick-off and we made good ground. Flogged saints last yr doing the same.
I'd rather lose playing attractive footy than the shit on display now.its desball all over......

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
TBH Georgalis would be no better off than Pay with the current squad. It would be FG coach career suicide for any coach to take us on in our current state. I feel for Pay, he picked the worst time in decades to take over our reins. I cant put the blame at Pays feet, he has nothing to play with. Hopefully we manage to get some decent players in the near future so we can see how Pay goes with more than a reserve grade side, which is what we are atm.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh. I watched alot of ISP last year and the dogs were beating teams with their forwards. There wasn't anything flashy nor were there many set plays or special tactics. We would just run harder and tackle harder than most teams and I can't see that formula working at 1st grade level...
He could very well be a better coach than Pay but I can't see him taking us higher on the ladder.....
Running harder and tackling harder than the opposition would be a welcome start right now.
Not saying Georgallis should be coach but itd be nice to see some aggression and intent.

I think we need a proven NRL coach with some balls.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My understanding was that Pay wouldnt be here next year and this was last year. My source is no longer there so have no updates.or confirmation.

My take is they signed him for 1 year as they couldnt get who they wanted and Pay is the stop gap. That's the only thing i can think of. Or Anderson's are that dumb which i dont think they are .Chris Anderson isnt a fan of Dean Pay and wouldnt have chosen him as head coach.

How embarassing would it have been for the club though to play the way they did agaisnt Melb in front of the old boys. And having the 2nds play enterprising footy and winning also shows up Pays coaching style. Granted its against weak players but the effort and entertainment is there to see.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People bagging out Pay. I get it. But do you ***** realise he was the only person willing to coach us. We tried. Nobody wanted to fucking touch us because of the position Hasler and Dib put us in. FFS Maguire looked at our books and walked out and chose the fucking tigers over us.
Correct
As much as we whinge, nobody wanted to touch us because of how cooked the books were

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running harder and tackling harder than the opposition would be a welcome start right now.
Not saying Georgallis should be coach but itd be nice to see some aggression and intent.

I think we need a proven NRL coach with some balls.
Yeah i absolutely agree we need to be more aggressive. Need to put some big bodies on the field. Not Jacko, Tolman, Smith and elliot all on at once. I'd only have 1 of these guys on at a time and start trying to win games with bashing other teams. We aren't going to win many games trying to match the class of other rosters so we should be winning off the back of hard, relentless defence.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of personal attacks on Pay which I don't really approve of. The man gave his all when playing, think he deserves a little more respect than that.

With that being said, clearly something isn't right here. He's seemingly way out of his depth as we look clueless on the park, and offers very little encouragement when giving interviews ....

Possibly the biggest issue from my side is that fact that ALL of his signings are playing first grade. And we're shitter than we've been for as long as one can remember. Yes, worse than Hasler's years. What's her going to be doing with future signings? Don't get me wrong. Think Meaney is OK actually, same could be said about CHN on his day but .... it's hardly warming seeing that we're so bad.

Now ... Cogger. Pay signed him. What for? He can't use the 'he's still young' bullshit because he signed him knowing we needed strength in that position. The season is halfway no? The kid hasn't got enough coaching yet to know better at this stage? It smacks of incompetetence in my mind. I mean ... wasn't it all about "Playing what's in front of you" rather than having a single game plan anyway? So him kicking to the same side each time, or putting the same shitty kicks in each time is him "playing what's in front of him"? If yes, then he needs to be dropped. If no, then Pay's game plan is fucking shit. He needs to be dropped.
He also signed Lichaa and has dropped him eventually. I think Cogger is going ok, last game wasn't his best. I'm not sold on Meaney he has gone ok and will give him heaps more time to develop but he doesn't pass the ball when he comes into the attack and dies with the ball every time. He needs to also pass ball a bit more and try to create an overlap.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Been saying this since last year.

The team under Georgallis went beyond expectations, winning not one but two premierships last year.

The team under Georgallis are pretty much all in our 1st Grade side .

The team under Georgallis obviously played a winning style of football.

Our team under Pay has yet to string 2 wins in a row

Our team under Pay has been on the bottom of the ladder 8 of 11 rounds.

Our team under Pay is not improving

Our team under Pay has promising stars going backwards.
Lewis has become clueless in his role as halfback and morphing into a forward ,once the saviour , the prince of belmore Now hooked and sent back to reserve grade

Jack cogger could once kick grubbers and pretty accurate kicking has been made to look like an idiot kicking repeatedly straight to the oppositions most potent player.

Okenbor well I don't know about okenbor but he's definitely not improving

It just makes sense to drop Pay and make Georgallis head coach.
You will find Brad Henderson is better than both Pay and Georgallis

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Source is hot and fiery.

The contract extension is based on performance clauses for this year. If the club decided to terminate Pay's contract at the end of this year in line with the performance clauses, the club would not have to pay him out (2020 salary)

They are chasing after a new coach. I do not know which coach though.

As i have been made aware of Pay's contract clause only last week, my theory is that the club is after a coach who needs permission to come back in. Now whether he is allowed back, and whether it is in 2020 or 2021, that will decide Pay's future.

Pay was re-signed for only 1 year to stop the vultures (media) from hammering the club after only a few weeks and derailing our season (not that the derailing mattered now). Though, as mentioned there are performance clauses and i think they will not be met.
So besides the obvious who the “suspended” coach is, and that would be disappointing.
You are saying that Dean knows he will not be coaching the club beyond next season?
Also what happens in 2020 if the performance clauses are not met and the new guy is not allowed back into the NRL for 2020? We have another short term coach?

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin Moore could have been a great coach if given more time...he always spoke confidently and the boys liked him, he put together a pretty decent side.

How good would it be if he come back to work with Pay and another crack at head coach

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.