Consolidated Dogs Salary Cap Situation Thread (including news articles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Please keep all posts related to our cap, etc in this thread.

There's far too many threads currently being taken way off topic with cap discussions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs face at two seasons of pain until the club can right its salary cap woes

THE Bulldogs have two more seasons in their own small hell before they can even think it will turn around.

The Dogs’ salary cap problems run to the 2020 season.

No relief comes until the season after. Yes, three more seasons away, and only a small miracle, of the rainbow and unicorn kind, will deliver the Bulldogs any success before then.

The Dogs’ salary cap is in such a poor state that if the hard work did not begin now then they would almost certainly be wooden spooners the next two seasons.

GONE: Woods rides rollercoaster to Cronulla

FINANCES: Why Cowboys couldn’t keep Ponga

They would field a team essentially filled with a few big name players, like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Kieran Foran, and the rest of the jerseys would be filled by juniors and reserve graders.

The Bulldogs released Aaron Woods on Tuesday, joining Moses Mbye let go from the club a fortnight ago.

Two quality players.

The severity of Canterbury’s cap problems is shrouded in grey information as the club tries to balance the fine line between the reality of their books and trying to keep fans encouraged enough to hang around.

That, or prevent them from burning the joint down.

Canterbury’s problems began when the previous administration began working towards a new salary cap of 10-point-something for 2018 and beyond, long before it eventually landed on $9.6 million last year.

In simple mathematics, it basically meant every player at the club was earning about 10 per cent more than he should have been banking.

That is a shortcut to disaster.

It forced the club to release James Graham to St George Illawarra just to be compliant this season.

It provided only small relief.

Losing Graham was particularly painful. (Mark Nolan/Getty Images)
As fans’ outrage grew, as certain board members strode into office claiming they would never subsidise a Bulldogs’ salary at another club, chief executive Andrew Hill fronted a members forum earlier this season and assured them the club would be cap compliant next season.

It dimmed the fires for a brief while.

What Hill didn’t say, and could not say, is there is a difference between being cap compliant and being competitive.

The more the Bulldogs looked at their books the more they realised the long-term damage the numbers relayed.

Dogs fans are used to saying goodbye. (AAP Image/Brendon Thorne)
Hill and coach Dean Pay soon knew they had a choice.

They could take the club medicine for three more seasons, honour the promise to members not to subsidise the wages for players at other clubs, or they could try to create some flexibility in their cap now and begin the slow process back.

Next season provides no relief.

Built into the contracts of those still contracted next season are ratchet clauses and back-ended deals set to be activated.

So the salary cap gets another squeeze at Belmore.

The drama could cost Bulldogs coach Dean Pay his career. (Alix Sweeney)
It gives the Bulldogs no option but to lose Josh and Brett Morris and Greg Eastwood.

The Bulldogs could have retained both and remained salary cap compliant next season but it would have meant surrounding them with at least seven players on minimum wage.

By the time 2020 rolls around more ratchet clauses are activated and more back-ended deals come into play.

These realities are what Hill and Pay have wrestled with.

They went back to their options.

The Morris boys could be next out the door. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
They were still the same. Wait until they regain control of their roster in 2021 and write off this season and the next two, blame the previous administration, or take the sour pill.

They knew they couldn’t wait.

By then Bulldogs fans would have burned down Belmore and Hill and Pay would have been kicked to the street by an angry mob.

Instead, the delicate operation has begun.

They are trying to build flexibility in the cap until 2021. Releasing a player here, developing a player there, trying to find ways to generate value for their misspent dollar.

Jack Cogger could be a good investment. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)
Jack Cogger arrives at Belmore next season. So does Christian Crichton from Penrith.

Jeremy Marshall-King is developing nicely at the price.

Pay has no choice but to play the long game.

“We’ll get those young blokes,” he said on Tuesday, “and then put 40 or 50 games into them and when you get the money back we will put some established quality around them and then challenge for a competition.”

The risk is still clearly there.

Forty or 50 games is almost two full seasons. A long wait for Bulldogs fans.

And Pay, who has one more year to run.

The coach knows his decision to build for the long-term risks his new coaching career.

He has no guarantee he will be at the club beyond next season, even as he repairs the failings of those who came before him.

“You want the job,” he said.

“If you’re going to make the hard decisions you want to come out the other side and enjoy coaching better players and a good group of players that are going to challenge.”

Pay returned to a club preaching the need to return to its values. Every bit of that is about to be tested.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Josh Jackson going to be on $2.5 mill next season?

Maybe Klemmer is going to be on $2.5 mill next season.

The ONLY super stars that will be at the club are Jackson, Klemmer, Foran, Hoppa. Toldman will be on big money as well.

Something seriously does not add up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol kill me.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How so still? Woods $1 million, Mbye $1.2 million, Morris Brothers $1.4 million, Graham $400k, Eastwood $800k, Kasiano? Abby? How the fuck can we of just shed $5 million and still be fucked even if we say take $500k for loading for woods and Mbye next year.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have followed the dogs since the mid 70s nothing will change that, God willing I will still be a Bulldogs man when this is all over and we are Premiers once again.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THis article is bullshit fear mongering, they say it as if it’s fact and then say it’s a grey area that no one really knows about, and we were cap compliant for the next couple of years before we even released woods or mbye

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am definitely downgrading to a non ticketed membership next year. I refuse to put myself through the pain of attending games when there is no hope :(

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah I don't believe it either. I think we will be back in the market for 2020 not 2021.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL who wrote this bullshit....

I may get called out here for not knowing much, but one thing I know almost 100%, is that no journo has a CLUE how much:
a) a player is being paid.
b) a club has in their salary cap.

I happen to be friends with an ex NRL players brother. His actual price tag when playing was 50% LESS than every single journo was claiming.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we release Mbye and Woods and we’re still not compliant. GTFO

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure thing Mr I..
I agree, great idea mate.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly while most of us would say this is a BAD thing as we will lose quality players ...think about this we are currently second last and in our side currently have these so called quality players, so to me if we are to only have lower grade players and young up and comers in the next couple of years, I say bring it on because at least these new players will play hard and hopefully play with some passion as they want to make a name for themselves in FG. Think it could be an upside for us, it reminds me when we had a new side in the early 2000's and them players back then were no names but eventually they all played well together and we became a heavy weight side and even won a comp. in 04 ... so lets just remain positive my fellow blue and white supporters I know it is hard (believe me I know) but you know what they say, we are rock bottom atm but the only way now is UP and UP and UP ... lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
To sum it up....

We are fucked until 2021, maybe beyond that depending if we can even attract players to this hell hole.

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Honestly while most of us would say this is a BAD thing as we will lose quality players ...think about this we are currently second last and in our side currently have these so called quality players, so to me if we are to only have lower grade players and young up and comers in the next couple of years, I say bring it on because at least these new players will play hard and hopefully play with some passion as they want to make a name for themselves in FG. Think it could be an upside for us, it reminds me when we had a new side in the early 2000's and them players back then were no names but eventually they all played well together and we became a heavy weight side and even won a comp. in 04 ... so lets just remain positive my fellow blue and white supporters I know it is hard (believe me I know) but you know what they say, we are rock bottom atm but the only way now is UP and UP and UP ... lol
Couldn't have said it better my man! I am excited for all these young players coming and all the old going because they all had their chance now it's time for some young fresh blood to play hard for our beloved club!!!!!!!!!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To some fans this is still Pays fault....clueless

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get ready for hundreds more of these articles just kicking the club while it's down. They'll make up figures to suit their agenda so that they can sell their stories.

You don't lose over 3 million dollars worth of contracts for next season and still have no money to play with. Despite these clauses and backened deals being in play, it's just not possible considering we have only Hoppa, Klemmer, Jackson, Tolman and Foran on significant money.

Are they trying tell us Adam Elliott will be paid $1.3 million in the last year of his deal? And Holland 900k?

Meanwhile the same papers will report the Roosters re-signing Radley without batting an eyelid as to any cap issues. Business as usual...

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Bulldogs face at two seasons of pain until the club can right its salary cap woes

THE Bulldogs have two more seasons in their own small hell before they can even think it will turn around.

The Dogs’ salary cap problems run to the 2020 season.

No relief comes until the season after. Yes, three more seasons away, and only a small miracle, of the rainbow and unicorn kind, will deliver the Bulldogs any success before then.

The Dogs’ salary cap is in such a poor state that if the hard work did not begin now then they would almost certainly be wooden spooners the next two seasons.

GONE: Woods rides rollercoaster to Cronulla

FINANCES: Why Cowboys couldn’t keep Ponga

They would field a team essentially filled with a few big name players, like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Kieran Foran, and the rest of the jerseys would be filled by juniors and reserve graders.

The Bulldogs released Aaron Woods on Tuesday, joining Moses Mbye let go from the club a fortnight ago.

Two quality players.

The severity of Canterbury’s cap problems is shrouded in grey information as the club tries to balance the fine line between the reality of their books and trying to keep fans encouraged enough to hang around.

That, or prevent them from burning the joint down.

Canterbury’s problems began when the previous administration began working towards a new salary cap of 10-point-something for 2018 and beyond, long before it eventually landed on $9.6 million last year.

In simple mathematics, it basically meant every player at the club was earning about 10 per cent more than he should have been banking.

That is a shortcut to disaster.

It forced the club to release James Graham to St George Illawarra just to be compliant this season.

It provided only small relief.

Losing Graham was particularly painful. (Mark Nolan/Getty Images)
As fans’ outrage grew, as certain board members strode into office claiming they would never subsidise a Bulldogs’ salary at another club, chief executive Andrew Hill fronted a members forum earlier this season and assured them the club would be cap compliant next season.

It dimmed the fires for a brief while.

What Hill didn’t say, and could not say, is there is a difference between being cap compliant and being competitive.

The more the Bulldogs looked at their books the more they realised the long-term damage the numbers relayed.

Dogs fans are used to saying goodbye. (AAP Image/Brendon Thorne)
Hill and coach Dean Pay soon knew they had a choice.

They could take the club medicine for three more seasons, honour the promise to members not to subsidise the wages for players at other clubs, or they could try to create some flexibility in their cap now and begin the slow process back.

Next season provides no relief.

Built into the contracts of those still contracted next season are ratchet clauses and back-ended deals set to be activated.

So the salary cap gets another squeeze at Belmore.

The drama could cost Bulldogs coach Dean Pay his career. (Alix Sweeney)
It gives the Bulldogs no option but to lose Josh and Brett Morris and Greg Eastwood.

The Bulldogs could have retained both and remained salary cap compliant next season but it would have meant surrounding them with at least seven players on minimum wage.

By the time 2020 rolls around more ratchet clauses are activated and more back-ended deals come into play.

These realities are what Hill and Pay have wrestled with.

They went back to their options.

The Morris boys could be next out the door. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
They were still the same. Wait until they regain control of their roster in 2021 and write off this season and the next two, blame the previous administration, or take the sour pill.

They knew they couldn’t wait.

By then Bulldogs fans would have burned down Belmore and Hill and Pay would have been kicked to the street by an angry mob.

Instead, the delicate operation has begun.

They are trying to build flexibility in the cap until 2021. Releasing a player here, developing a player there, trying to find ways to generate value for their misspent dollar.

Jack Cogger could be a good investment. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)
Jack Cogger arrives at Belmore next season. So does Christian Crichton from Penrith.

Jeremy Marshall-King is developing nicely at the price.

Pay has no choice but to play the long game.

“We’ll get those young blokes,” he said on Tuesday, “and then put 40 or 50 games into them and when you get the money back we will put some established quality around them and then challenge for a competition.”

The risk is still clearly there.

Forty or 50 games is almost two full seasons. A long wait for Bulldogs fans.

And Pay, who has one more year to run.

The coach knows his decision to build for the long-term risks his new coaching career.

He has no guarantee he will be at the club beyond next season, even as he repairs the failings of those who came before him.

“You want the job,” he said.

“If you’re going to make the hard decisions you want to come out the other side and enjoy coaching better players and a good group of players that are going to challenge.”

Pay returned to a club preaching the need to return to its values. Every bit of that is about to be tested.
Who the fk write this dribble. It reads like a fictional novel. FMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.