CONNOR WATSON / BENJI MARSHALL

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I believe Connor Watson can be a great fit at hooker for the bulldogs.

He is off contract and he has experience. Under Barrett he can be similar to API KOROISAU.

He can be a match winner. Electric speed. Can also cover 6,7,9 easily.

At the right price he can be a great signing for 2 years, until someone else is available.

That is what I am suggesting. There is hardly any quality players on the market.

As a fan, I do not want to hear that I need to wait until 2022 to win another game.

We need something to atleast get us competitive and enjoy some wins.

Give foran 2 years to partner Green, if foran is definitely out then Benji Marshall who will be cheap, Watson at 9 will also be cheap.

Okunbor will be back on 1 wing. Contric is signed up as well.
Simpson back from injury with Adam Elliot.

All of a sudden we have a competitive team at full strength for 2021.

Barrett will have a base to build on

Barrett can implement his philosophy and culture.

Put some experience in the team

While plotting who he will target for 2022 when potentially there will be marquee players on the MARKET

We can't just accept to right off next year. We must get the best available players currently on the market.

Who we really want or who we would like to buy is out of our control until 2022.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

He is off contract and he has experience. Under Barrett he can be similar to API KOROISAU.

At the right price he can be a great signing for 2 years, until someone else is available.

That is what I am suggesting. There is hardly any quality players on the market.

As a fan, I do not want to hear that I need to wait until 2022 to win another game.

Give foran 2 years to partner Green, if foran is definitely out then Benji Marshall who will be cheap, Watson at 9 will also be cheap.

While plotting who he will target for 2022 when potentially there will be marquee players on the MARKET

We can't just accept to right off next year. We must get the best available players currently on the market.

Who we really want or who we would like to buy is out of our control until 2022.
Id rather see us sign burton and smith for next year.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree on Burton. Disagree on BSmith. He is one dimensional. We need a more modern day hooker that can pass crisply off the ground, has a good running game out of dummy half. Be able to put in grubbers into the in goal and long kicks if required. He should be fast enough to get out of dummy half and drift across field for set plays as well. Smith is an old fashioned hooker and is good, but not great in my eyes. He doesn't have any of these skills. Burton is a future gun, so we need to get him at all costs. My two cents

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton contracted so won’t be with us next year. Hopefully for 2022.
Brandon Smith isn’t a Hooker who will solve our issues. Great little player but more suited to the back row as a lock.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not opposed to either idea. As you said there is no one else of note on the market. Why not sign a couple of blokes who will improve on what we currently have.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have been on the Connor Watson bandwagon for a while now but he seems to have had a couple of bad injuries lately which hopefully is just bad luck. When fit, he is definitely an upgrade on what we have and would definitely be in our top 17 each week as he can play fullback, halves and hooker. Last year when he played hooker for a few matches he looked really sharp and definitely has potential to be an attacking threat at hooker. A hooker rotation of Watson and JMK is better than what we have. Whether he could handle the defensive workload is the question. These are the type of signings that we need to seriously consider to make our squad stronger.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem with Watson is, he's never fit and misses 6-8 weeks or more once or twice a season. He's coming off a bad achilles injury.

He's also said he's staying with Newcastle for another season so I doubt he's available and even if he was, we shouldn't be interested due to his injury history. He's a good player when fit but that's not very often.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton contracted so won’t be with us next year. Hopefully for 2022.
Brandon Smith isn’t a Hooker who will solve our issues. Great little player but more suited to the back row as a lock.
Since when does a contract matter??!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very good post except for the Foran bit, why don't people forget about him, our club put a 1 year deal in from of him and he rejected it, which was more than he deserved, considering his previous 3 years with us.
Wanted a 3 year deal, I guess some on here believe his BS about wanting to repay our club, for all that money and standing by him.
I would like to ask him if any other club has made him even a 1 year offer.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sign benji, it’s for the taking and he will come to the doggs to join his bro, and he’s probably already thinking that.. it’s a no brainer... !!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The reduced roster to 28? 26? next year really impacts whether we can sign Benji as a back up if there's a spot.

I'd love to have him and you'd imagine he could execute Barrett's gameplans for 80 so thats a plus!