Coach Cleary

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The real deal or over-rated?..

Jurys still out for mine.. Hes been coaching since 2006 and still won SFA..

Only 3 games in but the Panthers dont look anywhere like they did last year under Griffin..

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Kikau makes a huge difference to that team and hes back nxt week

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole panthers team is over-rated bar a few players lol.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sold on him, but i also don't necessarily think he's as overrated as others think on here.

I think Anthony Griffin is a better coach, for example.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their team was meant to be the best, we knocked them out in 2014 was so good

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Phil Gould thinks he's a wonderful coach to have onboard to prevent the club losing the golden child Nathan Cleary..

If the two weren't related Grif would still be coaching Panthers.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Their front rowers (middle third) are weak. Team of backrowers just like us.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould packed absolute shit and signed daddy to keep that massively overrated halfback happy. Never seen a more pathetic move.

But it's quite a shock to me. I'm under the impression that Gould knows absolutely everything and is 90 steps ahead of everyone.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nathan Cleary is possibly the most overrated half in the history of the NRL. He did bugger all in SOO last year and was still lauded as the Golden Boy.

Unfortunately for them they are stuck with a dud father/son combination for the foreseeable future unless they fancy parting with a small fortune to move them both on.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nathan Cleary is possibly the most overrated half in the history of the NRL. He did bugger all in SOO last year and was still lauded as the Golden Boy.

Unfortunately for them they are stuck with a dud father/son combination for the foreseeable future unless they fancy parting with a small fortune to move them both on.
Remember how good Maloney was when Nathan was injured? Panthers need to get over the golden child and let Jimmy run the show.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Remember how good Maloney was when Nathan was injured? Panthers need to get over the golden child and let Jimmy run the show.
Trouble is it would mean the coach having to drop his son. I mean if Cleary isn't guiding the team around what use is he?
His kicking is average and his running game is non-existent. Penrith will have massive issues if they don't start performing.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould thinks he's a wonderful coach to have onboard to prevent the club losing the golden child Nathan Cleary..

If the two weren't related Grif would still be coaching Panthers.
Gould and the Clearys are overrated. What happened to the 5 year plan?
Griffin has them in the top 4 when he was sacked which is a joke

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The 5 year plan has been going on for about 7 years now.
Ivan Cleary better watch out as Gus doesnt cop failure. Ask Griffin.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 5 year plan has been going on for about 7 years now.
Ivan Cleary better watch out as Gus doesnt cop failure. Ask Griffin.
True but its More like 9 years.. started in 2011..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone read Paul Kent's article today about dramas at Penrith.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/1609c973d591aa16ae54bfd8ecc5df11

Less than 24 hours after Penrith were thumped 32-2 by Melbourne, veteran rugby league journalist Paul Kent has lifted the lid on the “potential for dramas” at the Panthers.

Speaking on Triple M Sunday Footy, Kent revealed that Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould was “operating at arm’s length” from coach Ivan Cleary and the playing group.

Gould sacked Cleary back in 2015 when he infamously labelled the coach “tired”.

Kent said Gould wasn’t behind bringing Cleary back to the club, the decision being ultimately made by club chairman Dave O’Neill — Gould was chasing Wayne Bennett who was almost over the line. O’Neill’s pursuit of Cleary reportedly centred around a fear that his son, Nathan, could leave the club. Kent said the relationship between Gould and Cleary “had not been fixed”.

“I think there are real potential for dramas at Penrith now,” Kent said.

“Given the fact the general manager of football is basically disconnected from the club in what is now an unhappy marriage. Phil Gould has no interaction with the football club, players or the coach anymore. … When Gould who for many years has been chartered with running the football operation gets overruled on who to bring the coach in, and the coach who he has not got in the slot has a poor start to the season … it may not turn into trouble, by my experience covering this game for the best part of 30 years is that it generally ends up in some drama at some point. Penrith have to turn it around quickly or it will begin.”

Could we potentially see the same coach sacked twice by the same club! LOL

That said Kent loves drama so could be completely bullshit. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone read Paul Kent's article today about dramas at Penrith.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/1609c973d591aa16ae54bfd8ecc5df11

Less than 24 hours after Penrith were thumped 32-2 by Melbourne, veteran rugby league journalist Paul Kent has lifted the lid on the “potential for dramas” at the Panthers.

Speaking on Triple M Sunday Footy, Kent revealed that Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould was “operating at arm’s length” from coach Ivan Cleary and the playing group.

Gould sacked Cleary back in 2015 when he infamously labelled the coach “tired”.

Kent said Gould wasn’t behind bringing Cleary back to the club, the decision being ultimately made by club chairman Dave O’Neill — Gould was chasing Wayne Bennett who was almost over the line. O’Neill’s pursuit of Cleary reportedly centred around a fear that his son, Nathan, could leave the club. Kent said the relationship between Gould and Cleary “had not been fixed”.

“I think there are real potential for dramas at Penrith now,” Kent said.

“Given the fact the general manager of football is basically disconnected from the club in what is now an unhappy marriage. Phil Gould has no interaction with the football club, players or the coach anymore. … When Gould who for many years has been chartered with running the football operation gets overruled on who to bring the coach in, and the coach who he has not got in the slot has a poor start to the season … it may not turn into trouble, by my experience covering this game for the best part of 30 years is that it generally ends up in some drama at some point. Penrith have to turn it around quickly or it will begin.”

Could we potentially see the same coach sacked twice by the same club! LOL

That said Kent loves drama so could be completely bullshit. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
They’d probably punt Gould before Cleary the way things are going