Coach Cleary

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talking of Penrith, Tyrone Phillips just got done for DUI.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone read Paul Kent's article today about dramas at Penrith.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/1609c973d591aa16ae54bfd8ecc5df11

Less than 24 hours after Penrith were thumped 32-2 by Melbourne, veteran rugby league journalist Paul Kent has lifted the lid on the “potential for dramas” at the Panthers.

Speaking on Triple M Sunday Footy, Kent revealed that Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould was “operating at arm’s length” from coach Ivan Cleary and the playing group.

Gould sacked Cleary back in 2015 when he infamously labelled the coach “tired”.

Kent said Gould wasn’t behind bringing Cleary back to the club, the decision being ultimately made by club chairman Dave O’Neill — Gould was chasing Wayne Bennett who was almost over the line. O’Neill’s pursuit of Cleary reportedly centred around a fear that his son, Nathan, could leave the club. Kent said the relationship between Gould and Cleary “had not been fixed”.

“I think there are real potential for dramas at Penrith now,” Kent said.

“Given the fact the general manager of football is basically disconnected from the club in what is now an unhappy marriage. Phil Gould has no interaction with the football club, players or the coach anymore. … When Gould who for many years has been chartered with running the football operation gets overruled on who to bring the coach in, and the coach who he has not got in the slot has a poor start to the season … it may not turn into trouble, by my experience covering this game for the best part of 30 years is that it generally ends up in some drama at some point. Penrith have to turn it around quickly or it will begin.”

Could we potentially see the same coach sacked twice by the same club! LOL

That said Kent loves drama so could be completely bullshit. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
Didn't read but watched the game...there is something going on out there. Penriff were awful. Edwards is a confidence player and he had none.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould packed absolute shit and signed daddy to keep that massively overrated halfback happy. Never seen a more pathetic move.

But it's quite a shock to me. I'm under the impression that Gould knows absolutely everything and is 90 steps ahead of everyone.
That’s not true. Read what Kent said. It’s absolutely true. I heard in from well
Within the club.

Gus wanted Bennett but was overruled by the board. Gus and a Cleary’s are on big long term
Contracts so will need big payouts if sacked.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to think, Panthers chose Ivan over Bennett

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Penrith is Gould. But if you can get away with a 5 year plan which has been going for almost 10 years and keep getting a salary as a general manager why not.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Father coaching son in professional sport seems a huge conflict of interest issue, particularly when son is regarded as the star half but appears overrated. Huge pressure on both father and son. Ivan Cleary equally at fault. He should have known this wouldn't do either him or his son any good in the long term. What happens when son is struggling for form and father has to decide whether to drop him. An unwise situation all round. There seems to be a few issues floating around at this club and unless they get a few good wins and can sort these problems out it could be a difficult year for them.