Coach Cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone was singing his praises after 4 games, now there out of the 8 and still struggling in attack..

This isnt a Ivan Cleary bashing thread, hes improved the Tigers, but im yet to see the hype about him as a coach..

Until he gets any of his NRL sides dominant and consistent for more than 1 season I cant rate him as a very good coach, nor a coach worth signing.

He got NZ to the GF in 201, and got the Panthers to the prelim in 2014, but both his sides failed the season after.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He recruited better in a few weeks than Hasler was able to in years. Yes there was some silly decisions in there (eg Reynolds) but overall not bad.

If things were different and the old board wasn't trying to do everything in their power to be re-elected he would have been a serious option at the time. And let's be honest he would have been better than Pay with the circumstances we're currently facing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
No injuries really so no excuse.

Seems that forking out $$$$ and rebuilding entire teams (like Knights and Tigers), hasn't really worked well for either of them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They lack strike power in key positions and through the forwards. Cleary has built a strong base so i can only see them improving moving forward.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Top 4 coach imo. Has a bright and long future

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rate him.. You can tell the players put in for him.. anything above the bottom four with that team list is over achieving, let's face it :laughing:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Top 4 coach imo. Has a bright and long future
Why? He's missed the finals in his career more times than made it. He's never won a comp. How is he a top 4 coach?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus didn't rate him.... i think he's ok.
Teams seem to kick ass when they buy alot of players in a single year. Same with the dogs in '12.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why? He's missed the finals in his career more times than made it. He's never won a comp. How is he a top 4 coach?
He's definitely improved as a coach over time. Doesn't really matter if you've won a comp or have good finals stats. Des and Bennett both do and are below average or unemployed at the moment. Robinson has been underwhelming at best with getting the most out of uncle Nicks roster. McGregor is an amateur tbh and even Dragon fans agree with that. Doesn't seem like such a stretch that I can't think of four coaches who I rate better than Cleary

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should have signed him when we had the chance. But the old incomptent board wanted Hasler. His experience would be of use in the current situation the dogs are in at this point in time. Dean's a bulldog and seems like his trying but he needs an assistant with NRL expeirence. From what I have seen, he cannot make the tough decisions.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m willing to give Pay time to mould his team the way he wants. The biggest question going from year 1 to year 2 will be what he does with our attack. Our defence has been solid for quite a while now and haven’t really been smashed despite our lack of wins. Scoring more points will reduce pressure on the team and hopefully we can find a spine that clicks into gear

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's definitely improved as a coach over time. Doesn't really matter if you've won a comp or have good finals stats. Des and Bennett both do and are below average or unemployed at the moment. Robinson has been underwhelming at best with getting the most out of uncle Nicks roster. McGregor is an amateur tbh and even Dragon fans agree with that. Doesn't seem like such a stretch that I can't think of four coaches who I rate better than Cleary
Bennett and Hasler have hardly ever missed the playoffs and have won multiple comps what are you on about? Robinson has missed the playoffs once his entire career. He shits on Clearly. You are totally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.