Coach Cleary

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bennett and Hasler have hardly ever missed the playoffs and have won multiple comps what are you on about? Robinson has missed the playoffs once his entire career. He shits on Clearly. You are totally wrong.
I didn't say they didn't? Cleary shits on both of them though. Don't really care enough to debate hard over this lol. Not many people I know would agree with you on Robinson there mate. But each to their own :kissingheart:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I didn't say they didn't? Cleary shits on both of them though. Don't really care enough to debate hard over this lol. Not many people I know would agree with you on Robinson there mate. But each to their own :kissingheart:
I don't need people to agree with me. If anyone actually believes Cleary is better than Robinson then their opinion means nothing to me.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's definitely improved as a coach over time. Doesn't really matter if you've won a comp or have good finals stats. Des and Bennett both do and are below average or unemployed at the moment. Robinson has been underwhelming at best with getting the most out of uncle Nicks roster. McGregor is an amateur tbh and even Dragon fans agree with that. Doesn't seem like such a stretch that I can't think of four coaches who I rate better than Cleary
I want to know what the hypes about.. several posters like you rate him.. but none have given their reasons about what makes Cleary great theyve just bashed the other coaches

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I want to know what the hypes about.. several posters like you rate him.. but none have given their reasons about what makes Cleary great theyve just bashed the other coaches
He's been getting his shithouse rosters firing in recent past. Players seem to want to play for him and I think he's got a good future ahead. Robinson's warchest roster is constantly ill disciplined year after year and underperforming. This year especially they should be leading the comp with that roster. Which is why I rate him better and don't let past stats dictate. Otherwise Des would be a top coach wouldn't he?

@Freakzilla

Just curious what's your top 4 coach hierarchy?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's been getting his shithouse rosters firing in recent past. Players seem to want to play for him and I think he's got a good future ahead. Robinson's warchest roster is constantly ill disciplined year after year and underperforming. This year especially they should be leading the comp with that roster. Which is why I rate him better and don't let past stats dictate. Otherwise Des would be a top coach wouldn't he?

@Freakzilla

Everyone bags Des but he got pretty average rosters (which he was responsible for to 2GFS).. in 2012 we had Kris Keating as halfback and 2014 Hodko was on one leg and a impotent Perrett at fullback..

Both werent great rosters by any stretch - granted he assembled them

I would rate Green & Flanagan ahead of Cleary both have been consistent in their success most years and both have a premiership which does mean somthing at the end of the day..

No coach will be remembered as a great without a premiership

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

@Freakzilla

All these coaches are better than Ivan Cleary:

Craig Bellamy
Shane Flanagan
Trent Robinson
Paul Green
Wayne Bennett
Anthony Seibold (I know it's early but he's the coach of the season)

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Craig Bellamy
Shane Flanagan
Trent Robinson
Paul Green
Wayne Bennett
Not saying he is but Anthony Seibold could be another Kevin Moore
Rating coaches after one season isn't right
For eg Ricky Stuart.... I find it really surprising he's still coaching till this day and it all started with a premiership win first year in first grade
Trent Robinson also won the GF first year but with the roster they had i believe a monkey in the coaches box could done the same job

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone bags Des but he got pretty average rosters (which he was responsible for to 2GFS).. in 2012 we had Kris Keating as halfback and 2014 Hodko was on one leg and a impotent Perrett at fullback..

Both werent great rosters by any stretch - granted he assembled them

I would rate Green & Flanagan ahead of Cleary both have been consistent in their success most years and both have a premiership which does mean somthing at the end of the day..

No coach will be remembered as a great without a premiership
Keating was an absolute gun that year lol. I can't give Des any credit for his short term gamble of back ended contracts and absolutely horrible staff and player recruitment over the years. I honestly would be surprised to see him coach first grade again

Craig Bellamy
Shane Flanagan
Trent Robinson
Paul Green
Wayne Bennett
Meh Bennett's time is finished. He's thrown all his million dollar eggs into a halves basket of Milford and Bird who have turned into fat little useless hobbits. Whilst sending the Queensland halfback to the dragons. Time to retire.

Flanagan is a good coach and a better peptide dealer. He was tricked by Gus Gould into trading Maloney for Moylan, which in turn has turned their small hopes for the comp this year into no hope. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the next few years with a small rebuild on his hands. Still rate him better than Cleary.

Paul Green has had the season from hell this year. He's taken a roster who was equal first for the comp pre season to a wooden spoon favourite. Which in my opinion is criminal and punishable by his positional drop in the "velk coaching ladder"

Seibold shouldn't even be in this conversation, he's too raw. Could also have a bright future ahead though.

You make out putting Cleary as a top 4 in their is some wild outrageous claim and then put him 7th lol. I said top 4 in my opinion not top 4 and if you don't agree with me then you're brain dead and I won't respect your opinion anymore. Calm down chief

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Keating was an absolute gun that year lol. I can't give Des any credit for his short term gamble of back ended contracts and absolutely horrible staff and player recruitment over the years. I honestly would be surprised to see him coach first grade again

You make out putting Cleary as a top 4 in their is some wild outrageous claim and then put him 7th lol. I said top 4 in my opinion not top 4 and if you don't agree with me then you're brain dead and I won't respect your opinion anymore. Calm down chief
I didn't put him 7th. I said those coaches are all better than him. Doesn't mean there aren't more better than him. Besides Seibold the others are easily better than Cleary.

These are the current NRL coaches who have a better win % than Cleary. You can't be a top 4 coach if you have more losses than wins as a coach.

Anthony Seibold= 71%
Craig Bellamy= 68%
Trent Robinson= 62%
Wayne Bennett= 61%
Paul Green= 60%
Anthony Griffin 55%
Shane Flanagan= 54%
Paul McGregor= 51%
Ricky Stuart 49%
Ivan Cleary= 47%

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't put him 7th. I said those coaches are all better than him. Doesn't mean there aren't more better than him. Besides Seibold the others are easily better than Cleary.

These are the current NRL coaches who have a better win % than Cleary. You can't be a top 4 coach if you have more losses than wins as a coach.

Anthony Seibold= 71%
Craig Bellamy= 68%
Trent Robinson= 62%
Wayne Bennett= 61%
Paul Green= 60%
Anthony Griffin 55%
Shane Flanagan= 54%
Paul McGregor= 51%
Ricky Stuart 49%
Ivan Cleary= 47%
So 6 are definitely better, 1 is maybe better and there's others who are maybe better that you didn't mention. I see lol. Case closed, I'm convinced! The stats have spoken guys :tearsofjoy:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So 6 are definitely better, 1 is maybe better and there's others who are maybe better that you didn't mention. I see lol. Case closed, I'm convinced! The stats have spoken guys :tearsofjoy:
Nah believing a coach who has never won a title, missed the finals more than he's made it and has a career losing record is a top 4 coach is very logical....... LOL. What a terrible opinion you have.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah believing a coach who has never won a title, missed the finals more than he's made it and has a career losing record is a top 4 coach is very logical....... LOL. What a terrible opinion you have.
You can't justify a single thing past your stat book Des. What a boring black and white opinion you have

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You can't justify a single thing past your stat book Des. What a boring black and white opinion you have
Lol I've wasted enough time responding to your terrible opinion.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bennett and Hasler have hardly ever missed the playoffs and have won multiple comps what are you on about? Robinson has missed the playoffs once his entire career. He shits on Clearly. You are totally wrong.

Robinson has/had sbw Cronk teddy Pearce keary cordnee Ferguson tupou, even dean pay could coach that team to the semis.

Hasler made the semis with us and where did that lead him and he was a shit coach as history tells us.

Cleary had that Warriors team firing but they dumped him as kiwi players couldn't get with the programme and have they even made the semis since?
Cleary brought in all these youngsters and created that team for Griffin to take over. He had a falling out with Gus coz he refuses to be told what to do.

At tigers this year, brooks had flourished so has Benji, rejects like fonua and Thompson are playing out of their skin, Matulino is playing better etc etc. And they have been more competitive than when they had Woods teddy Moses. So i see him as a good coach. Better than most coaches out there.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Robinson has/had sbw Cronk teddy Pearce keary cordnee Ferguson tupou, even dean pay could coach that team to the semis.

Hasler made the semis with us and where did that lead him and he was a shit coach as history tells us.

Cleary had that Warriors team firing but they dumped him as kiwi players couldn't get with the programme and have they even made the semis since?
Cleary brought in all these youngsters and created that team for Griffin to take over. He had a falling out with Gus coz he refuses to be told what to do.

At tigers this year, brooks had flourished so has Benji, rejects like fonua and Thompson are playing out of their skin, Matulino is playing better etc etc. And they have been more competitive than when they had Woods teddy Moses. So i see him as a good coach. Better than most coaches out there.

LOL

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why laugh at them dude? I’m
Not weighing into the debate about who is better, but surely comparing Robinson- who coaches a glamour club and has always had one of the league’s strongest rosters to deal with and Cleary- who has been dppointed to try and lift teams that are shit or inconsistent is a bit of a stretch.

Not saying Robinson is shit or Cleary is great, but I font think winning percentage counts for everything.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why laugh at them dude? I’m
Not weighing into the debate about who is better, but surely comparing Robinson- who coaches a glamour club and has always had one of the league’s strongest rosters to deal with and Cleary- who has been dppointed to try and lift teams that are shit or inconsistent is a bit of a stretch.

Not saying Robinson is shit or Cleary is great, but I font think winning percentage counts for everything.
He's a mate of mine in real life. How we talk to each other is not any of your business.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He's a mate of mine in real life. How we talk to each other is not any of your business.
I couldn’t really care less if you are rude.... to a friend or a stranger..... but you’re on a public forum, do your lack of logic kinda is my business, tbh. :p

I just don’t see why you’re laughing st people who are raising what I see as valid points.

It’s prwtty simplistic to look solely at winning percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.