News Coach, but don't poach: Panthers warn Barrett

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didnt realise Kimmorley was up for a ft coaching gig. He is a rookie as far as coaching is concerned, but id love to have him on the books.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://bit.ly/3estO2y

Good report here from Paul Kent.
It lost me when he said elliott is our best performer,kents having a field day laying the boot in,at the end of the day any club not winning this shit goes on ,people have short memories look back 12 mths at panthers everyone was blowing up why was ivan put in and wanted him and those in charge gone ,look at them now,sometimes change is needed to progress and dean had to go.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It lost me when he said elliott is our best performer,kents having a field day laying the boot in,at the end of the day any club not winning this shit goes on ,people have short memories look back 12 mths at panthers everyone was blowing up why was ivan put in and wanted him and those in charge gone ,look at them now,sometimes change is needed to progress and dean had to go.
Theyre such a hypocritical bunch of ***** arent they!!! For months, years even, they have been bagging Pay and saying how shit our attack is, etc etc, but then as soon as he is sacked they all come out defending him saying how badly he has been treated, and how he should have been given a chance. Anything to sell a paper.

Malla

Reaction score
Lol if he wants to poach and the players want to come over, so be it.

But I would hope Barrett (or whoever comes here) focuses on fixing the junior development in our team. We need to be strategic about it and buy a bunch of young talented players, have them come up through the juniors into first grade together.

Malla

Reaction score
Theyre such a hypocritical bunch of c*** arent they!!! For months, years even, they have been bagging Pay and saying how shit our attack is, etc etc, but then as soon as he is sacked they all come out defending him saying how badly he has been treated, and how he should have been given a chance. Anything to sell a paper.
I think you will find they are now siding with Pay to get some dirt on the Doggies board because it has been well documented that the board has not and will not speak to the media.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always laugh when I see the poaching accusation..."my club recruits...but yours poaches".

If Penrith don't want their players targeted, get out of the top 4.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't want a coach that submits to demands like that, else the Anderson's will have him under the thumb.

Just tell them "it's not not my intention to poach players from Penrith"... Intentions can change so he would not be lying when he does.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent, nice guys come last. Learn from your mistakes at Manly and be ruthless. Poach and sign who you can because if this does not work out for you at the Dog's it is your career on the line.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you will find they are now siding with Pay to get some dirt on the Doggies board because it has been well documented that the board has not and will not speak to the media.
Of course they are. Fucking media scum.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Business is business. Like he brought over api. No reason why he can’t offer guys he had a bond with over for opportunities at other clubs.

Heck even pay did it. And you didn’t hear Stuart bitching and moaning when he lost clay priest. He just realised it happens :p :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:
Stuart didn’t bitch and moan because Clay Priest was no great loss.

Malla

Reaction score
I didnt realise Kimmorley was up for a ft coaching gig. He is a rookie as far as coaching is concerned, but id love to have him on the books.
Good assistant. I think he stepped away for a while after the passing of his missus, but pretty he was with us for some time before that?

He is 1000000000000xxxx better than Steve James.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

You can coach – but don’t poach.

Penrith would grant Trent Barrett an early release to coach Canterbury but he would leave with a stern warning: Don’t try to take our young guns with you.

The second-placed Panthers have a stunning young side, including four gun halves, Barrett may be tempted to entice to Belmore, should he accepts the Bulldogs top job.

Bulldogs management is understood to be well advanced in discussions with Barrett on a likely three-year deal, although there are still senior figures at Penrith who believe Barrett will reject the Bulldogs.

Canterbury is yet to lodge a formal offer to Barrett with the club insisting there is still interest in other coaches.

Should Barrett decline, which is unlikely, the Bulldogs would then consider Anthony Griffin, Brett Kimmorley, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler, Kevin Walters and England coach Shaun Wane. The left-field choice would be English rugby union coach, Eddie Jones.

Penrith would allow assistant coach Barrett out of his 2021 deal but don’t want him trying to pinch key players if he joins Canterbury.

Penrith is stacked with halves talent in Nathan Cleary, 22, Jarome Luai, 23, Matt Burton, 20, and Tyrone May, 24.

The Bulldogs have had the NRL’s worst attack over the past two seasons.

Trent Barrett has helped the Panthers surge into second spot on the NRL ladder this season. Picture: Brett Costello
The Daily Telegraph spoke to several well-placed sources at Penrith who want it known Barrett shouldn’t use his relationship with the young halves to lure any of them away from the Panthers.

Cleary is signed long-term, although Luai and Burton are off contract after next season while May’s deal ends after this year. Penrith does hope to lock him down shortly.

While aware Barrett would want to immediately involve himself in retention and recruitment at Canterbury when he signs, The Daily Telegraph has been told Penrith has no plans to stand him down from his assistant coaching role for the rest of this season.

Barrett has promised Penrith he would keep everyone updated on his negotiations with Canterbury.

The former Manly head coach was spotted in deep discussion with manager Wayne Beavis at a Woollahra coffee shop on Monday. No Bulldogs officials were at the meeting.
According to ABC News this morning, the board has issued a statement saying they will take time to make a considered decision about the next coach, so Barrett is not a certainty. However, it leaves us without a coach for the rest of the season, and no chance to develop a side for 2021.

Penrith can't keep four gun halves. If they are as good as the report suggests, they will not all want to stay on small money waiting for their turn in first grade - not if another club offers them the opportunity and the cash.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you were Barrett you’d tell Penrith what they want to hear until they give you the release and finish up then that agreement is out the window.
It's a business, after all; and it's all about winning. Nice guys finish last. Look at how we went when were nice enough to let Thurston, Price, Hannant, Barba, SBW, Mason, Cook, Finucane, Taupau, go.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t poach...total wankers

I didn’t hear any don’t poach when our 2004 side got shredded by other clubs