Clubs dragged into Bulldogs legal battle, players may follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Danny Weidler hasn’t written a positive article on the Bulldogs or any team for that matter in light years!

He’s a negative news story grinch.

Danny, go and research some of the great things that happens in Rugby League and report it for once bud. Your click bait diarrhoea the General Public has had to endure over the years is getting stale, predictable and unwanted.

To Danny’s closing sentence “the Bulldogs have everything to loose”, on the contrary, we have everything to gain champ!! Hasler left the club in an utter mess, poor recruitment & retention, severe cap problems, Board disharmony, identity crisis and we’re likely to pick up the spoon in our rebuilding...the only way is up buddy-boy!!!

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is there any legal stand point that the dogs can take on Hasler in regards to the state he has left the club in....perhaps even claim they ditched him because of it?? He has history to back it up (Manly).
I'm a Senior Counsel and although I practice criminal law,I'm quite versed in contract law.I have covered the above subject matter extensively in past threads.The only way Bulldogs can have any legal grounds is under Promissory Estoppel.This applies if Des's contract,verbal or formal had/has performance clauses that he has not met in the past.Or there is indisputable evidence that he will be unable to met in the future.In pursuing the legal efficacy of offer and acceptance,the court must enforce the contract in it's entirety,which makes financial obligations together with all tabled clauses binding.
The above article is not very informative I'm afraid and can be subject to multiple theories.
Unfortunately I suspect that the Bulldog's settlement offer for $600k,that was proposed at,or considered for presentation at the listed 'First Directions Hearing',was either rejected,or one of the parties had concerns or challenges that were not answered,or some directions stipulated by the Supreme Court judge were not met.This means that the judge has problems with directing favorable orders to alter the parties for commencement of Alternate Dispute Resolution for Mediation instead of trial.
Unless there are specific clauses that stipulate that a player's contract is subject to Des being coach or employed in any capacity at the Bulldogs,during their term of service,he has no legal contractual grounds.Ask yourself this.What if Des got sick,died,got incarcerated or became indisposed? Would that still make these contracts invalid,because of a verbal unattached conversation?
Without being privy to verbal details that were proposed,promised or drafted and without having sighted the subpoenas,I suspect the reason for the clubs and players being subpoenaed,is because Des's Counsel has petitioned the court for subsequent hearings.These hearings will seek a 'Further Directions Hearing',which in fact is a confirmation that Mediation has failed,or one of the parties failed to comply with the directions of the court.
I suspect Des's counsel will seek to present Dib's rush promise,any favorable conversations with other clubs and advancement discussions that were significant in finalizing the players contracts,as backup evidence in one of these hearings.If resolution is not met at these hearings and depending on the evidence the judge could commit this case (with all presented evidence) for trial .
I believe it would be worth pursuing Dib for professional negligence and incompetence,subject under Law of Agency and since Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is a corporate entity,any breaches come under Corporations Act 2001 and Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW).This part of the law in judgement deals with propensity of evidence and not absolute guilt (similar to Civil Law).If the Bulldogs Counsel can amount enough evidence against Dib,it would make any promises he made negligible and unenforceable.If this is dealt with in a timely correct manner,leave should be sought of Dib,due to conflicting interest and bias by Dib against the club.(In other words shut him up before he screws us)
There is one huge hurdle to overcome,because even though the board of directors bears ultimate responsibility,since their appointments are subject to elections by membership and the previous board has been dismissed (that becomes their retribution),liability cannot be sought and the matter cannot be dealt with in retrospective.But since they were a paid servant of the club any documentation,letters,minutes of meetings ect can be used to substantiate their negligence.
It sounds like a full regalia of silks is going to be employed and if I was Des's Counsel I would (urge) advice him to go to trial.A case like this is easily worth $200k plus.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m just so disappointed....
Not one mention of $BW!
Weidler - you cock sucking piece of shit ****

berries62

Waterboy
Reaction score
I’m just so disappointed....
Not one mention of $BW!
Weidler - you cock sucking piece of shit ****
I'm a Senior Counsel and although I practice criminal law,I'm quite versed in contract law.I have covered the above subject matter extensively in past threads.The only way Bulldogs can have any legal grounds is under Promissory Estoppel.This applies if Des's contract,verbal or formal had/has performance clauses that he has not met in the past.Or there is indisputable evidence that he will be unable to met in the future.In pursuing the legal efficacy of offer and acceptance,the court must enforce the contract in it's entirety,which makes financial obligations together with all tabled clauses binding.
The above article is not very informative I'm afraid and can be subject to multiple theories.
Unfortunately I suspect that the Bulldog's settlement offer for $600k,that was proposed at,or considered for presentation at the listed 'First Directions Hearing',was either rejected,or one of the parties had concerns or challenges that were not answered,or some directions stipulated by the Supreme Court judge were not met.This means that the judge has problems with directing favorable orders to alter the parties for commencement of Alternate Dispute Resolution for Mediation instead of trial.
Unless there are specific clauses that stipulate that a player's contract is subject to Des being coach or employed in any capacity at the Bulldogs,during their term of service,he has no legal contractual grounds.Ask yourself this.What if Des got sick,died,got incarcerated or became indisposed? Would that still make these contracts invalid,because of a verbal unattached conversation?
Without being privy to verbal details that were proposed,promised or drafted and without having sighted the subpoenas,I suspect the reason for the clubs and players being subpoenaed,is because Des's Counsel has petitioned the court for subsequent hearings.These hearings will seek a 'Further Directions Hearing',which in fact is a confirmation that Mediation has failed,or one of the parties failed to comply with the directions of the court.
I suspect Des's counsel will seek to present Dib's rush promise,any favorable conversations with other clubs and advancement discussions that were significant in finalizing the players contracts,as backup evidence in one of these hearings.If resolution is not met at these hearings and depending on the evidence the judge could commit this case (with all presented evidence) for trial .
I believe it would be worth pursuing Dib for professional negligence and incompetence,subject under Law of Agency and since Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is a corporate entity,any breaches come under Corporations Act 2001 and Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW).This part of the law in judgement deals with propensity of evidence and not absolute guilt (similar to Civil Law).If the Bulldogs Counsel can amount enough evidence against Dib,it would make any promises he made negligible and unenforceable.If this is dealt with in a timely correct manner,leave should be sought of Dib,due to conflicting interest and bias by Dib against the club.(In other words shut him up before he screws us)
There is one huge hurdle to overcome,because even though the board of directors bears ultimate responsibility,since their appointments are subject to elections by membership and the previous board has been dismissed (that becomes their retribution),liability cannot be sought and the matter cannot be dealt with in retrospective.But since they were a paid servant of the club any documentation,letters,minutes of meetings ect can be used to substantiate their negligence.
It sounds like a full regalia of silks is going to be employed and if I was Des's Counsel I would (urge) advice him to go to trial.A case like this is easily worth $200k plus.
My thoughts exactly :grinning:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When Hasler’s contract was terminated in September, many players felt misled and let down by the club. There have been rumblings that, given the Bulldogs’ poor start to the season, some of those players could be looking for outs in their deals
This is utter bullshit.
With the current state of our cap, if any player wanted to leave, the wouldn’t be stopped.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Court : All deals made under the assumption that Hasler would be coach are all null and void. Aaron Woods you are a free agent!!

Bulldogs : Yes!!!
Fuck I would jump up and down if that happens.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope the Anderson's get the clubs legal team to subpoena that fat lazy prick Dib.

**** should be placed behind the iron bars

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver lining here guys... pay out des make the club look like dicks, woods and foran can do the rain dance and fuck off out of here and whoever wants to follow good riddens. Begin the early rebuild ASAP.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I call bs on most of that article. Dib would have no choice but to be part of the court case, he was the one who signed and sacked des so when they say he is not willing to help is a load of crap. The guy is in this as much as the club.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Death spell - nice to meet you mate and great post. I’m a commercial litigation lawyer and agree with your advice. I posted a while back here sharing similar sentiments. In the interests of time, I’ve cut and paste that post further below.

My gut tells me he will get up on one of his claims if it goes the whole way, ultimately on a matter

The title of the article is misleading because the subpoenas will be a request to produce documents (which is usual and procedural in any litigation dispute). Des needs to prove that ‘other clubs would of appointed him but for the public announcement by the bulldogs (that he was resigned for another 2 years) so it is expected that he will be asking for documents (internal board minutes, emails and other communications) referring or relating to this. But I would say he’s not doing himself any favours if he hopes to secure future employment with these clubs, especially if the subpoenas are just a fishing expedition.
————————————————-
Des Hasler declined new jobs to stay at Bulldogs, court hears

Hi guys first time poster but have enjoyed perusing the forum since 2007 and for the record thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I'm a litigation lawyer so thought I post would some thoughts on the saga:

1) Des' claim all comes down to certainty of the MOU i.e. was there anything left to be negotiated and/or was the contract conditional on future events and negotiations. Most MOU/HOA are generally between the parties themselves and conditional on the parties entering into a further contract prepared and negotiated throughly by their respective lawyers. Having said that an MOU can be certain on its terms and therefore performed by the parties. It really depends how the judge construes it and whether the dogs can argue it's not certain enough to be performed as it is.

2) the media announcement about des' appointment is extrinsic to the contract and therefore comes under a principle called the parole evidence rule. However, the media announcement itself will not add any more certainty then the terms of the MOU/HOA. However, this issue is more relevant to the question of damages and loss of opportunity.

3) if liability is proved i.e. there was an enforceable legally binding contract the court will move onto the question of damages. Damages will be the amount under the contract had it been performed i.e. 1 million per season. However the question of mitigation comes in i.e. onus on Des to take steps to reduce his loss i.e. What steps he took to secure an income elsewhere. The likely scenario in the next year or so is that Des will secure a contract elsewhere otherwise it won't be a good look at the hearing to say he sat on his ass and did nothing plus I doubt Des won't want to be out of the game for too long otherwise like any career, this will adversely impact his ability to secure future employment.

4) the court will then take into account any income he has or will be receiving over the next 2 years and deduct that from what he will have received under his new contract with the dogs. This for me is Des' BIGGEST issue in trying to recover the whole amount which he is almost certainly to be unsuccessful.

5) by the way the contract claim above is his legal claim under the common law. Des also has a separate and additional claim of estoppel (a claim in equity law) where he Des will argue he relied on a promise by the dogs that he would be employed for the next 2 years and therefore declined other job opportunities and/or potential employers did not approach him. His claim for damages under this category is separate to his claim for the value of the contract of $2 million and would instead would be for lost opportunity i.e. the amount he would have signed with someone else for had he made himself available. Des needs to prove there was a real prospect of this happening and show evidence of inquiries or offers made to him.

What do I think will happen? Like most of you have already predicted, if I was his lawyer I would be telling Des to settle sooner rather than later if he wants move onto somewhere else. No doubt a settlement also suits the dogs!

Up the dogs and looking forward to 2018!!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=5246&share_type=t&share_pid=3263130

Last edited:
Reactions: DT

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good hopefully it's true because the way this team is playing at this stage I am happy if most are looking at outs in their contract, maybe then we can sign players who would bleed for this jersey and actually love playing for their passionate fans!!!
Yep. Some may see this as bad news (if true), I see it as good. As it allows us to dump the non-passionate players (players only there for Des/to win) and bring up our young guns from the lower grades. We have so much potential there its not funny!

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Danny Weidler has pulled this from the deepest depths of his bowel.

There’s more fiction in this story than every Harry Potter novel combined.

Hasler would be showing that other teams were interested in his coaching services, and that’s where it ends.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Could be reason why Woods looks shite. Foran going missing. They can leave for all I care!
They both said since Des was sacked it didnt change their willingness to play for us and they were still happy to do so. There is no reason to believe that is BS. Media trying to cook something up no doubt. Im tossing up whether this thread belongs in rumours, its full of them

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a blessing if true. Woods, Foran, and whoever else can doesn’t want to be there can fuck off and let the club rebuild.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I just wiped my arse with toilet paper and it still had less shit on it than this cock smokers bullshit.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I know that ranga shit **** reads our posts so this ones for you cock breath....

We know you are a weak **** who has never stepped foot on a football field, don't take it out on players because you're a jealous ****. You probably haven't even touched a ball, well apart from your husbands.

You putrid piece of cow shit.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Out of all this though, I could see that piece of shit Dib trying not to help
The bulldogs board would have directors and officers liability insurance and the insurers would have taken over the dispute on behalf of the board by now (lawsuits are covered by insurance). For the insurance cover to continue on behalf of the club, Dib would need to act according to their instructions otherwise he may void the insurance claim which could expose him to personal lability for breaches of directors’ duties relating to his conduct and/or acting in a manner which caused harm to the club by failing to act (in not providing assistance).

On top, he would of signed a contract at the time of his appointment governing his conduct post directorship on the board including to act reasonably and assist with any current and/or future legal issues relating to his tenure.

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, so take my post with a gain of salt.

But if this article is true, which it's not.

If Dib refuses to help, wouldn't they just subpoena him & say he is a hostile witness. (that would damage his reputation)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's all a civil (not criminal) matter, so not sure how things would matter really.

I wonder who rejected mediation... I mean by showing our hand and offering a $600k payout, I honestly believe we've done far more damage than good. Should have offered a $1 million mediation payout + paying his court costs. $600k was a piss in the wind, and probably insulted him and caused him to fire up.

Status
Not open for further replies.