Climate Change

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Canada is on fire, some Greek islands are on fire, the world broke the global average temperature record several times in a row, China hit its hottest temperature ever, the US is in complete meltdown.

El Nino and Climate change are hitting. Be prepared. It's likely going to be a terrible 2nd half of the year for us. Unless the El Nino pattern changes, expect droughts and ridiculous high temps.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
El Nino and Climate change are hitting. Be prepared. It's likely going to be a terrible 2nd half of the year for us. Unless the El Nino pattern changes, expect droughts and ridiculous high temps.
When can we expect this El Niño and boiling please? The weather has been crap and seems more like La Niña? We know what will happen in 100 years but not a few months. Surely the experts can’t get it wrong again

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When can we expect this El Niño and boiling please? The weather has been crap and seems more like La Niña? We know what will happen in 100 years but not a few months. Surely the experts can’t get it wrong again
Notice the part where I said, "unless El Nino pattern changes". Weather is unpredictable as there's many factors involved. A slight change to the ENSO or the OID and everything changes.

But the changes are short term. Much easier to map long term trends based on factors that are less unstable.

But as always, if you can prove over 99% of climate scientists wrong, I suggest you do it as you could win a Noble prize for it.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Notice the part where I said, "unless El Nino pattern changes". Weather is unpredictable as there's many factors involved. A slight change to the ENSO or the OID and everything changes.

But the changes are short term. Much easier to map long term trends based on factors that are less unstable.

But as always, if you can prove over 99% of climate scientists wrong, I suggest you do it as you could win a Noble prize for it.
Exactly my point. I do believe in climate change but you can see how many people are skeptical based on how many alarmist predictions are consistently wrong. It will never happen but if funding went to climate change denial I wonder what the 99% figure would be

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly my point. I do believe in climate change but you can see how many people are skeptical based on how many alarmist predictions are consistently wrong. It will never happen but if funding went to climate change denial I wonder what the 99% figure would be
That's the usual denial stuff though:

"The alarmist predictions are consistently wrong"

True. Alarmists are idiots. But the climate predictions have been accurate in most cases with some margin of error

"if funding went to climate change denial"

It's the usual science conspiracy used by people that don't like the results. Claim that all of the world scientists are deliberately ignoring facts and lying to protect their funding.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's the usual denial stuff though:

"The alarmist predictions are consistently wrong"

True. Alarmists are idiots. But the climate predictions have been accurate in most cases with some margin of error

"if funding went to climate change denial"

It's the usual science conspiracy used by people that don't like the results. Claim that all of the world scientists are deliberately ignoring facts and lying to protect their funding.
Everything is now unprecedented and terms like catastrophic are used regularly. I personally wouldn’t call predicting a hot, dry summer when in actual fact it’s cold and wet a small margin of error though.

So you don’t believe that universities and institutions are swayed by donors funding to focus on certain areas? I can tell you 100% that happens regularly and I see it with my own eyes all the time. The pressure is intense and very political, especially with stubborn, uneducated mongs like Chris Bowen in charge

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everything is now unprecedented and terms like catastrophic are used regularly. I personally wouldn’t call predicting a hot, dry summer when in actual fact it’s cold and wet a small margin of error though.
Ahhh, I see where you're confused. That's weather prediction. Not climate change prediction. The climate change predictions from 30 years have been accurate within an acceptable margin of error. Weather prediction is much more difficult.

So you don’t believe that universities and institutions are swayed by donors funding to focus on certain areas? I can tell you 100% that happens regularly and I see it with my own eyes all the time. The pressure is intense and very political, especially with stubborn, uneducated mongs like Chris Bowen in charge
I have no doubt that funding is used to influence some Universities, some scientists, many politicians. But keep in mind that we're not talking about some universities, or some scientists, or some politicians. We're talking about over 99% of climate scientists.

If you don't trust them on climate change, then why would you believe that the earth is round? Why would you ever trust any medical professional? Any finance manager? Anyone ever?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ahhh, I see where you're confused. That's weather prediction. Not climate change prediction. The climate change predictions from 30 years have been accurate within an acceptable margin of error. Weather prediction is much more difficult.

I have no doubt that funding is used to influence some Universities, some scientists, many politicians. But keep in mind that we're not talking about some universities, or some scientists, or some politicians. We're talking about over 99% of climate scientists.

If you don't trust them on climate change, then why would you believe that the earth is round? Why would you ever trust any medical professional? Any finance manager? Anyone ever?
What have they predicted right and wrong? Do they report what they got wrong? Most of the leading scientists I know and work with in most fields are either attached to universities in some or government or sell/promote their work and products etc to them.

I guess it’s easier to show actual findings from those professionals rather than what may or may not happen in the future. Kids are petrified because they think the world is going to end in 5 years. There are too many alarmists and politicians obsessed with climate change

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The climate change predictions from 30 years have been accurate within an acceptable margin of error.
What’s an acceptable margin of error?
In these “catastrophic times” they keep telling us we’re in, global temps have increased by about 0.5degC in the last 30 years?
if acceptable was even +\- 1degC, you could never be wrong.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What’s an acceptable margin of error?
In these “catastrophic times” they keep telling us we’re in, global temps have increased by about 0.5degC in the last 30 years?
if acceptable was even +\- 1degC, you could never be wrong.
The margins are much smaller than that. It varies by researchers but I it's usually around 0.02 - 0.08 margin of error.

But different levels of accuracy for different research. For example, ExxonMobil's scientists ran predictions from 1977 onwards and they had around a 0.04 margin of error, and they turned out to be extremely accurate, well within the margin of error. Unfortunately those predictions didn't come out until recently as they were suppressed by ExxonMobil. And that's also why ExxonMobil is under Senate review for misleading investors.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What have they predicted right and wrong? Do they report what they got wrong? Most of the leading scientists I know and work with in most fields are either attached to universities in some or government or sell/promote their work and products etc to them.

I guess it’s easier to show actual findings from those professionals rather than what may or may not happen in the future. Kids are petrified because they think the world is going to end in 5 years. There are too many alarmists and politicians obsessed with climate change
The papers aren't hidden. The models and papers were published in well respected journals and they have been thoroughly analysed in well respected journals. And all the information is available for the public (some behind paywalls though)

Alarmism is a problem. Children shouldn't be scared. Especially in first world countries. For us the impacts won't be that large for at least 100 years.

The problem that will effect us soon is that many countries that are already being impacted, and the 3rd world countries that will be impacted heavily soon. Which leads to mass migration, war, etc. That leads to destabilisation of the world in general.

Australia will be better off than most though. We will have some higher droughts and more expensive imports in the near future. And in the next hundred years we'll probably lose a little bit of beach land due to the sea level rise. But sea level rise is less predictable than temperature rise. So it may be only small, or it could be much larger.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But in the end, if almost every single expert on the subject is telling you it's a problem, then it's a problem. We can claim conspiracy or whatever, but to ignore the actual experts just seems dangerous.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But in the end, if almost every single expert on the subject is telling you it's a problem, then it's a problem. We can claim conspiracy or whatever, but to ignore the actual experts just seems dangerous.
Tim Flannery said we have a problem. None of his suggestions have happened.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tim Flannery said we have a problem. None of his suggestions have happened.
Tim Flannery is one person. He's also a sign of bad government policy. He's not a climate scientist.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Revisionist history to manufacture recent record temps in Australia.
Lets go back and give the 09 premiership to Parramatta while we're at it

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Revisionist history to manufacture recent record temps in Australia.
Lets go back and give the 09 premiership to Parramatta while we're at it
Let me guess. You know this because you have 30 climate scientists that live on your street?

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Let me guess. You know this because you have 30 climate scientists that live on your street?
I knew 3 rn's and 1 doctor in my old street turns out there was a 4th Rn that I didn't know about until I left.
1 is my partner another her best freind. The other is a peads nurse who is the mother of my sons best friend.
Don't know why that is so shocking to you.
You should be more shocked at the lack of pressure on China and India to curve their emissions and the amount of climate change alarmist who continue to buy beachfront property.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I knew 3 rn's and 1 doctor in my old street turns out there was a 4th Rn that I didn't know about until I left.
1 is my partner another her best freind. The other is a peads nurse who is the mother of my sons best friend.
Don't know why that is so shocking to you.
You should be more shocked at the lack of pressure on China and India to curve their emissions and the amount of climate change alarmist who continue to buy beachfront property.
The thing that shocks me most is that China has more renewable energy per capita than most other countries. They're leading the world in renewables. And per capita, them and India don't use much. Australia smashes them in emissions per capita.

You should know this though. As you always seem to know more than the doctors, and the climate scientists, and all experts. Honestly, they should just give you the Nobel prize for arguing against the experts on everything.