Climate Change Protests

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
In the guys defence he looks like he is wearing scrubs so planting potatoes doesn't look like it would be in his job description.
I didn’t say he was planting potatoes, I said he’s a defender of potatoes. It’s a metaphor... lol

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
protests have failed.... any inconvenience people may be experiencing now is a drop in the rising ocean compared to the inconvenience a large percentage of the world’s population will be experiencing in the not too distant future if something meaningful is not done.
Your opinion, but highly debatable.

You don't need to be a scientist to be sceptical of some of these claims.

You just need to be about 35 years or older to remember the countless number of 'end of the world claims' that have been made since the 2000's related to climate change.

I remember countless TV documentaries and news stories about how islands in the pacific wouldn't exist in a few years, how Sydney would run out of water, how if we didn't do something by 2005/2010/2012/2019 that it would be too late and the world would end.

People are fed up with these ridiculous claims and no longer pay attention when drop kick greenies and lefties start blocking roads and public transport.

The same arguments have been trotted out now for more than a decade and people (generally) (in my opinion) are simply not convinced that climate change is as much of a problem as activists want us to believe it is.

Sure, the climate changes.

Sure, human beings can be destructive when it comes to the natural environment (and by the way climate activists should do some travel to countries like China, Indonesia, Vietnam and India to get some perspective on what real pollution looks like).

I don't know anybody who doesn't want a clean and protected natural environment (including people who don't believe in climate change).

But climate change is not the number one issue in the world (at least in the format it is currently presented in western countries by the western media).

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

You just need to be about 35 years or older to remember the countless number of 'end of the world claims' that have been made since the 2000's related to climate change.

I remember countless TV documentaries and news stories about how islands in the pacific wouldn't exist in a few years, how Sydney would run out of water, how if we didn't do something by 2005/2010/2012/2019 that it would be too late and the world would end.

People are fed up with these ridiculous claims and no longer pay attention when drop kick greenies and lefties start blocking roads and public transport.

The same arguments have been trotted out now for more than a decade and people (generally) (in my opinion) are simply not convinced that climate change is as much of a problem as activists want us to believe it is.

Sure, human beings can be destructive when it comes to the natural environment (and by the way climate activists should do some travel to countries like China, Indonesia, Vietnam and India to get some perspective on what real pollution looks like).

I don't know anybody who doesn't want a clean and protected natural environment (including people who don't believe in climate change).

But climate change is not the number one issue in the world (at least in the format it is currently presented in western countries by the western media).
Considering that the planet is estimated to last another 60,000,000,000,000,000 (60 quadrillion) years, I don't think anyone today or any of our ancestors have anything to worry about.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Considering that the planet is estimated to last another 60,000,000,000,000,000 (60 quadrillion) years, I don't think anyone today or any of our ancestors have anything to worry about.
The planet surviving and the human race surviving are two different things.

Human race isn't likely to go extinct any time soon but even if it did the planet would survive.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The planet surviving and the human race surviving are two different things.

Human race isn't likely to go extinct any time soon but even if it did the planet would survive.
What are your thoughts on the endless (for decades now) of catastrophic predictions that never come true?

Has it harmed the campaign of genuine climate protesters who hold a more balanced view of climate change?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the endless (for decades now) of catastrophic predictions that never come true?

Has it harmed the campaign of genuine climate protesters who hold a more balanced view of climate change?
The predictions have caused damage. The main problem is the media. The media, alarmist environmentalists and celebrities like Al Gore are the ones that have been selling the apocolyptic scenarios.

That's why I always suggest that people ignore the alarmists and instead read what the scientists say.

Better off listening to the IPCC who aren't predicting the end of the world.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The main thing to keep in mind is that the over the top predictions don't come from the scientists and the IPCC. They come from people who really don't understand it that well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that early predictions were wrong. Not massively wrong but still wrong. And that's to be expected. Models and predictions change based on new data that's available. A prime example of this is feedback systems. We don't have a strong understanding of how all the natural feedback systems work so we can't predict what the long term impact will be.

That said, we cna predict it to a certain amount. We just don't know how large the effect will be.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
An example of the mistakes in the systems is ocean acidification. The IPCC predicted it but didn't predict the effects. They thought it would eventually cause some problems to sea life. Now we found out that it's going to wipe out a large portion of our oxygen supply and its effects have started a lot sooner than we thought.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Our planet is more likely to end via a comet hitting it as opposed to climate change.

Jupiter, for instance, gets hit by something every few years. The most recent one was in August this year. I'm pretty sure it copped something either last year or 2017. Big impact hits that would've destroyed Earth instantly.

https://www.space.com/jupiter-impact-flash-photo-august-2019.html

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our planet is more likely to end via a comet hitting it as opposed to climate change.

Jupiter, for instance, gets hit by something every few years. The most recent one was in August this year. I'm pretty sure it copped something either last year or 2017. Big impact hits that would've destroyed Earth instantly.

https://www.space.com/jupiter-impact-flash-photo-august-2019.html
Yep. That could happen too. A planet killing asteroid we will see coming. A city killer we won't necessarily see coming. One passed us a few months back and we didn't know about it until about 1 day before it would have hit us. It passed between the moon and earth so we got lucky.

As I said before though. Climate change isn't about wiping out the planet. It's just about making the planet uncomfortable for us.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yep. That could happen too. A planet killing asteroid we will see coming. A city killer we won't necessarily see coming. One passed us a few months back and we didn't know about it until about 1 day before it would have hit us. It passed between the moon and earth so we got lucky.

As I said before though. Climate change isn't about wiping out the planet. It's just about making the planet uncomfortable for us.
Uncomfortable is a mild way of putting it, don't you think? The planet won't die, the human race won't die.....but a lot of people will likely die, you've said as much yourself on this thread.....I feel using the word uncomfortable is sugar coating it a little. I feel people are using the extinction thing as a diversion from the central issue here...... a deadly pandemic is unlikely to wipe out the entire human race, but is likely to kill a lot of people. It makes sense to try and guard against that.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the hot headed powers of the world I wouldn't rule out Nuclear war to be the end of us.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

The end of the world claims may be hyperbolic, but I think there's more than enough evidence toi suggest this is a pretty fucking big problem and if changes aren't made, people will die.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The end of the world claims may be hyperbolic, but I think there's more than enough evidence toi suggest this is a pretty fucking big problem and if changes aren't made, people will die.
That makes me angry, and when Dr evil gets angry mr bigglesworth get upset and when mr bigglesworth gets upset
PEOPLE DIE

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Uncomfortable is a mild way of putting it, don't you think? The planet won't die, the human race won't die.....but a lot of people will likely die, you've said as much yourself on this thread.....I feel using the word uncomfortable is sugar coating it a little. I feel people are using the extinction thing as a diversion from the central issue here...... a deadly pandemic is unlikely to wipe out the entire human race, but is likely to kill a lot of people. It makes sense to try and guard against that.
Yep. I use uncomfortable as a stylised expression. There's a decent analysis of it I read recently which points out that the rich will likely not have many issues. It's the poor that will die off. In some cases this will be entire countries.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly even have trouble processing this sentence.

In my mind I think to myself that average life expectancy has gradually increased to the point where humans now live longer than they ever ever in the history of the world. We also have access to a wider variety and better quality of food than ever before. So how can it be that people are saying suddenly people are going to start dropping dead?

My personal opinion is that the environment should be of concern to everyone in at least some way. I just think they should be practical ways. Not pie in the sky stuff.

I was in Africa a few months ago and it made me bloody upset that there were so few rhinos because of all the hunting which took place years ago. (Less hunting is happening now but a lot of damage to rhino numbers happened years ago).

I've also been to vietnam in the last year and it made me upset that some areas designated world heritage areas had rubbish and litter everywhere.

I also look at the ridiculous state of the environment in China and India caused by over population and the state of some of their water ways is horrendous.

Closer to home my personal concern is more for access to water for farmers and also for people in capital cities. I think more should be done to ensure new developments become more sustainable with water and energy usage. The number of ugly concrete apartments I see being put up without any green areas/trees is stupid. Developers should be forced to dedicate a part of every development to green space (roof tops could be used).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

In my mind I think to myself that average life expectancy has gradually increased to the point where humans now live longer than they ever ever in the history of the world. We also have access to a wider variety and better quality of food than ever before. So how can it be that people are saying suddenly people are going to start dropping dead?

My personal opinion is that the environment should be of concern to everyone in at least some way. I just think they should be practical ways. Not pie in the sky stuff.

I was in Africa a few months ago and it made me bloody upset that there were so few rhinos because of all the hunting which took place years ago. (Less hunting is happening now but a lot of damage to rhino numbers happened years ago).

I've also been to vietnam in the last year and it made me upset that some areas designated world heritage areas had rubbish and litter everywhere.

I also look at the ridiculous state of the environment in China and India caused by over population and the state of some of their water ways is horrendous.

Closer to home my personal concern is more for access to water for farmers and also for people in capital cities. I think more should be done to ensure new developments become more sustainable with water and energy usage. The number of ugly concrete apartments I see being put up without any green areas/trees is stupid. Developers should be forced to dedicate a part of every development to green space (roof tops could be used).
The problem is that those issues you described will mostly get worse due to climate change. Raising sea levels, more intense storms, mass immigration, more disease, higher temperatures.

That's the problem with climate change. It's an overarching problem that makes everything else worse. That means more humanitarian aid is required to deal with the issues.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

I find it ironic that it is science which has delivered the majority of lifestyle improvements which are allowing us to live longer lives, but when scientists say there is a very real problem here, you seem to be dismissing it as pie in the sky nonsense.
Sure medicine, food sciences and nutritional expertise have improved, but I do not see the correlation between these improvements and challenges relating to shifts in global temperatures and extreme weather conditions. You act as if the climate change issue is just a left wing scare campaign....some left wing groups may have upped the hyperbole and been a bit alarmist in their approach, but scientific consensus is there is a very real problem here and if action isn't taken, it will threaten many people's lives. If you don't take my word for it, listen to Hacky, who is more politically neutral than either of us.

It's nice to know you have genuine concerns about the environment, but I don't get how you can dismiss the opinions of genuine experts as pie in the sky nonsense.