CK's Guide to 'Giving Up' (then coming back again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
(TL;DR version = Bad times came. Got mad. Gave up. Random awakening led to best year as a fan I've ever had .... Thanks for playing - Use this in your Quote instead of a whole 5000 word post)

I hear you.
I feel you.
I get it, I really do.

Allow me to rewind the clock to the dark, dark times leading up to 2008. Four short years after premiership glory, the wheels had completely fallen off the Bulldogs wagon. Injury plagued 2005, a better year in 2006 cut short by a tragic SF loss to Brisbane (I'm still triggered to this day), squad systematically poached by Roosters, Pricey left while we re-signed plodders to inflated contracts (largely due to managers negotiating for players who took pay cuts in 2002-2004), and when it couldn't look like getting any worse SBW pissed off to Toulon, and Folkesy (RIP - that still hurts) was shown the door.

Up steps Jim Dymock for the remaining games, and it's around about now Greenberg is assuming control of Belmore and flexing his influence in the wake of SBW. All of a sudden, we're plunging towards a wooden spoon, which we secure, after enduring a myriad of 30-50 point losses.

Remember that ?
Forget Coffs, forget Salary Cap ... THESE were our darkest days !

To put it bluntly, I rage-quit harder than a pimply teen playing Fortnite, and gave up everything to do with Bulldogs in mid 2008. - Couldn't do it anymore.

Couldn't bare to watch, get my hopes up, or even wear the jersey in public to rub our success in arseholes faces - (sidenote : for those who remember, wearing a Bulldogs jersey after 2002-2004 got you insulted by passing idiots with 'rapist' and 'terrroist' ... even I got it, and I'm as white as a milk bottle !). Glory was a distant memory. Papers had been dancing on our graves for years. None of the players resembled anybody we grew to love in the early 2000's. We couldn't compete, let alone win. Morale was rock bottom. Crowds were down. No coach. No direction. Wooden spoon here we come.

The weekly stress, the shit-talking mates and family, the neighbours, the workmates ... UGH !!! .... what a shitheap we were.

So I got all uppity, and decided "THAT'S IT !!!"
I said "I'M NOT GONNA CARE UNTIL THESE LOSERS DO !"

Feel familiar ?
Sound like anyone you know ?

Anyhoo .... it lasted about 6-8 weeks

.... then, one random day, I was walking past the TV
... and the Bulldogs were playing (Tigers I think).
... so I stopped for a little look.
... and (I shit you not) the next 10-15 minutes changed the course of my whole life.

At first glance, it was approaching half-time, and we were being well beaten ... again ... (30-0 from memory). It was a home game at ANZ, the weather was fantastic and all you could see were specs of individual and seats in the sun. I snorted "Typical", and WAIT ... hold up ... WE SCORED !!!. I just hapoen towalk into the room, and we score, and what's the score ... PFFFT ... Typical.

The camera pans to the crowd, and I'll be god damned .... The BULLDOGS ARMY is still there !!!

I am stunned by what I see.
Why are they ... ?
Why even ... ?
I dont get it !
I see big flags on poles.
I see banners.
I see faces I've being seeing for years high-fiving !
I see smiling.
I aint shitting you ... Genuine happiness !

It dawns on me, that I'm a selfish arsehole.
I'm a completely shit fan.

Looking back with 40-year old glasses on ... Maybe it's the wash-up of enduring Coffs and Salary Cap scandals. Maybe I'm just an arrogant dick in 2008. Probably both.

But it essentially boils down to this : In 2008, here I am all worried about how Bulldogs winning makes me look and feel in the presence of others. I'd allowed myself to get to the point where I needed 'wins' to feel secure about things. I was supporting the Bulldogs for the wrong reasons. I'd forgotten about my family's legacy of supporting Bulldogs for over 60years.

And all it took to smack me back into shape was the sight of those beautiful wonderful people in the crowd, STILL smiling, STILL showing up, enduing ass-kicking after ass-kicking.

I wanted to be more like them - How do they support THIS team without needing the win to go home happy ?

I decided in that 10mins of half-time break that I'd meet these people one day, and shake their hands, and say thanks. THOSE ... ARE MY PEEPS !!! I waited for 2nd half to start, and there they are again !!! Flags up, confetti and we're down 30-to-fucking-SIX ?!?!?!?

I fell in love with all of them immediately.
God bless these die-hards with no semblance of tact or logic !!!
Thanks to those die-hard souls ... I WAS BACK !
And I felt like I owned it to them, to join them in the empty stands.

The thing I learned from the Army of 2008, is that the club and its fans are something greater than it's individual parts. My hissy fit was over. We still got the spoon and I hated every bit of it.

SO when 2009 came calling, I'd become a rampant poster/nuisance on here, and was very confident we would not have a repeat of the spoon. We'd signed a host of names to get excited about and we're headed in a "brave new direction" (Ennis, Morris, Hannant, Stagg, Eastwood, Kimmorley, among others), and in Round One Hazem needed to boot a few goals to break the scoring record.

As if the footy-gods knew my mission, I won free tickets ... and gleefully stood in the rain to witness our first win in over 6 months over hotshots Manly. I met many-a-Kenneler that day.

And so began a ritual of spiritual cleansing. I met many more over the coming weeks. I attended 12-14 games that year. The mosh-pit celebrations after tries. The Kogarah video-ref outrage. Beers on the hill at Campbelltown. Birthday vs Panthers at home. Giving away 100 chocolate bars at the SFS vs Tigers. Bringing beachballs. Signing chants like a crazy dope, and having people come after a game and say "I liked watching you". I take full responsibility for starting the 40,000 strong Mexican Wave at ANZ for the Hazem's last home game.

It culminated with a SemiFinal against Parra ... and a march into battle with two warring tribes.
35,000 of them.
35,000 of us.

God damn that game remains the best experience I've had as a fan.
AND ... we lost !!!

I'd never felt more alive as a fan. We marched from wooden spoon in 2008, to the GF Qualifier, on the back of 16 wins, a new squad, a new coach, and a spiritually reborn base of blue and white idiots just like me, ALL here, ALL screaming, ALL hoping, ALL of our fury and focus in one direction. In my whole life, I've rarely felt more like I belonged somewhere.

I hugged a heap of strangers with tears and forlorn faces. I was sad too, but compared to the previous year, I was alive inside. I'd realised the highs DO come after the lows. And if you let them, that the fans shelter you from the lows.

I'll end story time with the the following ...

"Players come. Players go.
The refs are unjust. But the footy gods are not.
They will give you luck, if you play well, play hard, play fair.
If they see your efforts as reward-worthy, luck will fall upon thee.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters for you the fan with no control over anything, is that you are happy with the totality of your life right now.

If weekly stress and unhappiness comes with supporting your team, it's OK to take a break.
Re-assess why you love it. Like me, you may have lost your compass.

DO you REALLY need a "W" to justify your love for this club ?
OR ... is it simply enough to stand in the crowd on your day off, and wave a big fucking flag that makes kids watching at home go "WOW !!!"

For me : I love the club. I loved those who played and served it. But my best times have come when I give myself, and expect no "W" in return. I've been hugged, high-fived, fed the tastiest of treats with names of exotic things I could never remember, I've been thanked, I've posed for pictures, been seen by distant family in Bankstown newspapers photos, led an Army into battle, travelled Sydney far and wide, been given free beers ... and WHY ... because somehow, being AT the game transcends 'winning' a game.

I cant remember all the scores, who did what, who smashed someone ... but I certainly remember the faces and the smiles on the people who were there with me. Dozens upon dozens of otherwise total strangers who accepted me as family simply because I wear blue'n'white.

In 2018, times are bleak.
We may not emerge from these shadows until 2020.
Until then, forget scores, forget tables, forget finals.

Get back to the basics ... have a BBQ and/or a day out with family and like-minded friends at home ... enjoy the smiles on people's faces ... go to a game and have a good look at who is around you ... make a new funny banner (and own the situation, by making people LOL) ... make a new giant-ass flag for when the good times come back .... take 100 chocolate bars out of your own pocket and hand them out to kids/parents .... bring a cheap beachball knowing it'll totally get confiscated

It's these things that will sustain you.
And when the good times roll around, maybe, just maybe, all of this struggle will have been worth it.

Here's to a rare win over Parra next week ... :grinning:
See you again, real soon. ;)

Last edited:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
2008 was a little different CK. We had underachieved in 06-07. SBW fled the jurisdiction. Players on big contracts defected to the Roosters. Our squad was terrible. We had to change because we were used to success.

These days it feels ok to finish mid table or scrape into the 8. It’s ok not to win a comp.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love the Bulldogs club but I hate the NRL. I used to watch every game every round, now I just watch the Bulldogs 1st grade & if the NSW Cup is on I watch that. I don't get the enjoyment out of it any more. If I didn't have OCD I would stop watching altogether. It is obvious to me that there is corruption everywhere in the NRL. A few years back I saw a referee put a bet on a game he was to referee the next day. I sent a letter to David Gallop giving him all the details & video footage would have been available. I didn't hear back from him at all. Soon after I was chatting to Dean Ritchie over the internet & told him my story. He said that id didn't surprise him that nothing was done as things were constantly swept under the carpet.

Integrity is important to me & the NRL & the leadership then & even more now lacks it big time. The state of the game in so many ways is terrible & no-one seems to care. As I said I have OCD & That is the only thing keeping me watching. To be honest I get more enjoyment out of watching the NSW Cup than 1st grade, even though the referees are crap there too. Watching games from 35+ years ago the refereeing was MUCH better than today. What has happened? In my opinion it started with Bill Harrigan's theory of not blowing so many penalties to let the game flow. The players & coaches soon learned to take advantage & all of a sudden the NRL have said no more & have blown the pea out of the whistle all season in a bid to reign things in.

I will always love the Bulldogs, but not he NRL. Maybe I am just getting old & cranky but I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe the Bulldogs Army still around.... I know some from it are still here.

Back in the day when I managed to attend the odd game, I found it (BA) almost exclusionary (like a group of "cool kids" in school, whereby if you didn't fit that specific niche or hang out with them outside of games), it was very hard to get into that group. Many left the BA after the shermozzle of moving The Kennel to another area of the stadium and pissing off the loyal fans. At the same time came the sheer stupidity of allowing opposing supporters to sit in The Kennel, which only ever lead to problems / fights.

Way too much drama and I can understand why as a result some branched off to form another supporters group. From what I can both have all but fizzled up now (unsuprisingly).

I know one of the more "colourful/nuisance" characters got banned (apparently from all NRL games), another outcast for (well I won't say) but he should be jailed/locked up for it.

But that won't stop Kennel events.... albeit there's been a long period between them, and it's mainly due to health and time for most of us.

Back on the support front... I don't mind if we win or lose, as long as we put in a decent effort. Expecting a win every week is impossible.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll be a bulldog until time stands still but I refuse to accept the corruption and hypocrisy of the nrl and the powers that surround the nrl.This game belongs to our children not to Greenberg,refs,betting agencies or some of the shitbags that pass for football players these days .Its turning into a game that I would rather my son didn’t play witch cuts deep because some of the best memories I have are playing and being involved in country football.Todd your legacy will be to leave our kids a pile of shit instead of a game to love well done champ.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Best Thread in a long long time and the only one worth replying to. Thank you CK yet again.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
(TL;DR version = Bad times came. Got mad. Gave up. Random awakening led to best year as a fan I've ever had .... Thanks for playing - Use this in your Quote instead of a whole 5000 word post)

I hear you.
I feel you.
I get it, I really do.

Allow me to rewind the clock to the dark, dark times leading up to 2008. Four short years after premiership glory, the wheels had completely fallen off the Bulldogs wagon. Injury plagued 2005, a better year in 2006 cut short by a tragic SF loss to Brisbane (I'm still triggered to this day), squad systematically poached by Roosters, Pricey left while we re-signed plodders to inflated contracts (largely due to managers negotiating for players who took pay cuts in 2002-2004), and when it couldn't look like getting any worse SBW pissed off to Toulon, and Folkesy (RIP - that still hurts) was shown the door.

Up steps Jim Dymock for the remaining games, and it's around about now Greenberg is assuming control of Belmore and flexing his influence in the wake of SBW. All of a sudden, we're plunging towards a wooden spoon, which we secure, after enduring a myriad of 30-50 point losses.

Remember that ?

To put it bluntly, I rage-quit harder than a pimply teen playing Fortnite, and gave up everything to do with Bulldogs in mid 2008. - Couldn't do it anymore.

Couldn't bare to watch, get my hopes up, or even wear the jersey in public to rub our success in arseholes faces - (sidenote : for those who remember, wearing a Bulldogs jersey after 2002-2004 got you insulted by passing idiots with 'rapist' and 'terrroist' ... even I got it, and I'm as white as a milk bottle !). Glory was a distant memory. Papers had been dancing on our graves for years. None of the players resembled anybody we grew to love in the early 2000's. We couldn't compete, let alone win. Morale was rock bottom. Crowds were down. No coach. No direction. Wooden spoon here we come.

The weekly stress, the shit-talking mates and family, the neighbours, the workmates ... UGH !!! .... what a shitheap we were.

Feel familiar ?

... and (I shit you not) the next 10-15 minutes changed the course of my whole life.

At first glance, it was approaching half-time, and we were being well beaten ... again ... (30-0 from memory). It was a home game at ANZ, the weather was fantastic and all you could see were specs of individual and seats in the sun. I snorted "Typical", and WAIT ... hold up ... WE SCORED !!!. I just hapoen towalk into the room, and we score, and what's the score ... PFFFT ... Typical.

The camera pans to the crowd, and I'll be god damned .... The BULLDOGS ARMY is still there !!!

Why are they ... ?
Why even ... ?
I dont get it !
I see banners.
I see smiling.

Looking back with 40-year old glasses on ... Maybe it's the wash-up of enduring Coffs and Salary Cap scandals. Maybe I'm just an arrogant dick in 2008. Probably both.

But it essentially boils down to this : In 2008, here I am all worried about how Bulldogs winning makes me look and feel in the presence of others. I'd allowed myself to get to the point where I needed 'wins' to feel secure about things. I was supporting the Bulldogs for the wrong reasons. I'd forgotten about my family's legacy of supporting Bulldogs for over 60years.

And all it took to smack me back into shape was the sight of those beautiful wonderful people in the crowd, STILL smiling, STILL showing up, enduing ass-kicking after ass-kicking.

I wanted to be more like them - How do they support THIS team without needing the win to go home happy ?

I decided in that 10mins of half-time break that I'd meet these people one day, and shake their hands, and say thanks. THOSE ... ARE MY PEEPS !!! I waited for 2nd half to start, and there they are again !!! Flags up, confetti and we're down 30-to-fucking-SIX ?!?!?!?

The thing I learned from the Army of 2008, is that the club and its fans are something greater than it's individual parts. My hissy fit was over. We still got the spoon and I hated every bit of it.

SO when 2009 came calling, I'd become a rampant poster/nuisance on here, and was very confident we would not have a repeat of the spoon. We'd signed a host of names to get excited about and we're headed in a "brave new direction" (Ennis, Morris, Hannant, Stagg, Eastwood, Kimmorley, among others), and in Round One Hazem needed to boot a few goals to break the scoring record.

As if the footy-gods knew my mission, I won free tickets ... and gleefully stood in the rain to witness our first win in over 6 months over hotshots Manly. I met many-a-Kenneler that day.

And so began a ritual of spiritual cleansing. I met many more over the coming weeks. I attended 12-14 games that year. The mosh-pit celebrations after tries. The Kogarah video-ref outrage. Beers on the hill at Campbelltown. Birthday vs Panthers at home. Giving away 100 chocolate bars at the SFS vs Tigers. Bringing beachballs. Signing chants like a crazy dope, and having people come after a game and say "I liked watching you". I take full responsibility for starting the 40,000 strong Mexican Wave at ANZ for the Hazem's last home game.

It culminated with a SemiFinal against Parra ... and a march into battle with two warring tribes.
35,000 of them.
35,000 of us.

AND ... we lost !!!

I'd never felt more alive as a fan. We marched from wooden spoon in 2008, to the GF Qualifier, on the back of 16 wins, a new squad, a new coach, and a spiritually reborn base of blue and white idiots just like me, ALL here, ALL screaming, ALL hoping, ALL of our fury and focus in one direction. In my whole life, I've rarely felt more like I belonged somewhere.

I hugged a heap of strangers with tears and forlorn faces. I was sad too, but compared to the previous year, I was alive inside. I'd realised the highs DO come after the lows. And if you let them, that the fans shelter you from the lows.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters for you the fan with no control over anything, is that you are happy with the totality of your life right now.

If weekly stress and unhappiness comes with supporting your team, it's OK to take a break.

OR ... is it simply enough to stand in the crowd on your day off, and wave a big fucking flag that makes kids watching at home go "WOW !!!"

For me : I love the club. I loved those who played and served it. But my best times have come when I give myself, and expect no "W" in return. I've been hugged, high-fived, fed the tastiest of treats with names of exotic things I could never remember, I've been thanked, I've posed for pictures, been seen by distant family in Bankstown newspapers photos, led an Army into battle, travelled Sydney far and wide, been given free beers ... and WHY ... because somehow, being AT the game transcends 'winning' a game.

I cant remember all the scores, who did what, who smashed someone ... but I certainly remember the faces and the smiles on the people who were there with me. Dozens upon dozens of otherwise total strangers who accepted me as family simply because I wear blue'n'white.

Get back to the basics ... have a BBQ and/or a day out with family and like-minded friends at home ... enjoy the smiles on people's faces ... go to a game and have a good look at who is around you ... make a new funny banner (and own the situation, by making people LOL) ... make a new giant-ass flag for when the good times come back .... take 100 chocolate bars out of your own pocket and hand them out to kids/parents .... bring a cheap beachball knowing it'll totally get confiscated

And when the good times roll around, maybe, just maybe, all of this struggle will have been worth it.

Wow! Just wow !!! You should be the bulldogs motivational coach . They need someone like you since Ennis left

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I first became a bulldogs supporter after my mum of 4 boys got us all nrl beanies.. Cronulla Parramatta wests and bulldogs. I got wests but protested and and got blue and white. I was 5 and knew my colours. I'm as passionate as any mf on here. Grew up on Mortimer brothers, trunks and the man they call baa baa. I'm so over players and supporters that don't bleed blue and white. There is a whole lot of negativity on this forum it hurts.
I'm saying that fuck des and his back ended contracts and bad board members.
We will survive I'm sure of that...
Little bit of pain is cathartic.but I'm over that..
You wear My CLUBS COLOURS YOU BETTER REPRESENT.
I LOVE MY CLUB !!

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score

I hear you.
I feel you.
I get it, I really do.

Remember that ?

Feel familiar ?

Why are they ... ?
Why even ... ?
I dont get it !
I see banners.
I see smiling.

35,000 of them.
35,000 of us.

AND ... we lost !!!

You my friend are the embodiment of the word fan.......I applaud your mentality may it become the DNA of all who comment in this forum.Cheers

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I hear you.
I feel you.
I get it, I really do.

Remember that ?

Feel familiar ?

Why are they ... ?
Why even ... ?
I dont get it !
I see banners.
I see smiling.

35,000 of them.
35,000 of us.

AND ... we lost !!!

CK is back... missed your posts... used to get pumped for the games after reading them...
Heck I used to go to every game religiously... these last couple of years I couldn't bring myself to go and watch desball.. but after this post I'm thinking time to go and support the boys live

Anditsgone

Waterboy
Reaction score

I hear you.
I feel you.
I get it, I really do.

Remember that ?

Feel familiar ?

Why are they ... ?
Why even ... ?
I dont get it !
I see banners.
I see smiling.

35,000 of them.
35,000 of us.

AND ... we lost !!!

Very interesting read, and no doubt plenty of dogs fans would have similar stories to tell.

I remember being filthy with the club in 02 when we were caught cheating.

I thought about not supporting the club during that time.
But I kept going
My love for the game and the childhood memories supporting the dogs and the jersey was too strong for me to turn my back,

The way the media portrayed the club and players in the wake of Coffs stretched me also,

I never felt like giving up on the dogs in 08.

I knew it was a rebuilding phase, though I was disappointed how Folkes was the fall guy,
I thought he deserved better from the club at that time. But I was excited for what might come moving forward.

As history shows it, we built teams not good enough to win a premiership though we came close.

But the Des era has me disappointed in the club and again happy to watch the next rebuilding phase.
Hopefully we get a premiership in this next phase of our history.

I have learnt that supporting a club with all your heart requires you to enjoy the lows and the highs as they come.

It’s ok to get frustrated when things are bad, as much as it’s ok to celebrate the victories.

As long as you still support the club
And supporting the club in its darkest times, even if your frustrated is most important to the club in rebuilding

Fair weather fans will come when the team is winning,
But the club really needs its core supporter base to stay strong during the tough times.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post Captain Kickass!!!
I remember jumping around in a hotel room with excitement as I had just watched Canterbury defeat East Suburbs to go straight into the 1974 grand final.
The family was on the way back from a holiday hence the hotel room.
I remember my dad watching the grand final but I was outside playing.
A year later I was fanatical and never missed a game when on TV even refusing to go to mass if we had won the Sunday TV game.

Spare a thought for my dad boys.
Lifelong berries/bulldogs fan.
Had a part-time job at the SCG in 1967 (he worked Monday to Friday) with Scottish Union.
Said it was like having your heart ripped out watching that intercept try by Bod McCarthy.

I well remember the 2008 season. But you know what I would take a 50 point defeat by Parramatta in 2008 than the corrupt outcome of Thursday night.

I am not a conspiracy theorists at all. But to me the NRL and it's officals are corrupt.
I don't know if referees bet on games, not talking about that..
I'm talking about a level playing field with consistent decisions applied across all games every weekend.
There is something badly off with the NRL and it's referees.

Status
Not open for further replies.