Ciraldo’s selection headache after storm thriller

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has found himself in a peculiar position — and is facing some big selection calls — after his side delivered arguably their best performance of the season.

Sure, the Dogs put 32 unanswered points on the Titans in Round 3, but on Friday night they were the better side for majority of their clash with heavyweights Melbourne Storm — despite losing by two points.

And that was without regular starters Jacob Preston (jaw), Blake Wilson (illness), Kurt Mann (hand), Max King (wrist), Kurtis Morrin (suspension) and Blake Taaffe (head knock).

Ciraldo was forced to shuffle his team to cover those absences and that has uncovered a red-hot backline that could be the way forward.

Josh Addo-Carr bagged a hat-trick, Jacob Kiraz had a blinder on the wing, while Bronson Xerri got a second game in the centres — and this time looked a lot better off a full week of preparation. Xerri, who was thrust in last round with minimal notice, finished with a try assist, a linebreak assist, two linebreaks, four tackle busts and 174 running metres. His natural speed off the mark was a noticeable asset for the Dogs too.

Many assumed Stephen Crichton would shift to fullback to cover for Taaffe but instead Ciraldo went with Connor Tracey and it was a masterstroke. Tracey, who notched up a linebreak assist, three tackle busts and 126 metres, was tough, reliable and his work-rate had similarities to that of Dylan Edwards. And that was with a calf niggle, which he picked up in Round 5.

Taaffe is due to return from a concussion in Round 7 but does he walk back into the fullback role? Many will say no.

And that’s not the only selection head ache Ciraldo will have this week. Calls for Drew Hutchison to be dropped for Toby Sexton are growing louder and it’s something the coach can’t ignore for much longer.

Sexton was brought to the club mid-2023 for his footy smarts and because he’s a genuine halfback but fell behind Hutchison on the pecking order coming into this season.

New recruit Hutchison thrived in the Roosters system as a back-up playmaker because all he needed to do was nail the basics when he played in the halves. But it’s a much bigger job at the Bulldogs and after six weeks the jury is out on whether he is the right answer at No.7.

The Bulldogs had several opportunities to seal the game at AAMI Park but blew them with their questionable end-of-set options — like the two occasions Hutchison passed to Crichton on the last tackle with the star centre forced to put in grubbers.

Sexton has been patiently waiting in the wings — he’s been 18th man for three games — but perhaps it’s time to see what he can do.
The solution according to logic :grinning:
1 Tracey
2 Kiraz
3 Xerri
4 Crichton
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Taaffe / Sexton
8 Curran
9 Mahoney
10 Faamasuli
11 Salmon
12 Kikau
13 Hutchison

14 Sexton / Taaffe / Morrin
15 Hughes
16 Patolo
17 King
It will be interesting to see who CC selects.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm 99% certain Taaffe is unfortunately slotting straight back in at fullback.
I would say so he goes back to full
Back this week is a must win we will win against Newcastle just seal up ponga and we should we good then we have the bye round which puts us in the 8

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
CC did mention in the post game presser that he was Impressed with Tracey and thought he was very “safe” all the drop balls from Taffe have been noted. Hopefully he sticks with Tracey. Taffe might play halves off the bench to start. The bench will interesting IMO

Last edited:

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So Possa . King , Sutton , sulka Fifita this team
Will get stronger and stronger im
Actually happy we didn’t sign afb he has gone silent a bit hasn’t made the metres at the warriors and he is getting paid 1 million at the sharks he is not a worth it I would rather have all
These boys we have instead of one forward who can actually leave on his own grounds due to compassion grounds home sick he left manly on the same terms he is not a reliable player for clubs

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see him dropping Hutch this game. I’d love to see it, but don’t think it’ll happen. Knowing Ciraldo he’ll drop Tracey and our Taafe back at FB.

Another possibility is Critta doesn’t play this week. Hes not fit. Could tell when Storm went down the right side, he couldn’t break out of a job. Taafe back at FB and Tracey to right centre.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I really hope so speed and he loves show and go and passing to the centres and wingers

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does Taaffe have a kicking game for a 7? He definitely isn't afraid of passing left to right like our incumbent 7. If Ciro was going to replace Hutchinson I'd say Sexton gets a go first. Taaffe could be given another week off so it doesn't look so bad dumping Hutchinson.
Its refreshing having a selection dilemma where we have too many options.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Selection headaches like we have right now are great. It's like only having a small plate at an all you can eat buffet. There's a lot to enjoy and most of it tastes good. But you can't have it all at once. It's not a headache Ciraldo will be complaining about.

1 Tracey/Taaffe
2 JAC/Skelton
3 Chrichton
4 Xerri/Kiraz
5 Kiraz/Wilson

I'd be pretty happy with almost any variation of those 8 players. Last couple of years we'd have been clapping to have any 5 of those 8 in our backline. Now we have youngsters who are good chances to push into that pecking order nipping at heels. Healthiest looking backline and depth I recall since before we broke the salary cap and saw the team torn to shreds.

Our second row have earned good reputations, a couple of our props also have. But for the most part we have a goodly number of forwards who'll bust testicles to get a regular spot in the 17 right now. So while that isn't as good as having a rep level prop or 2 (there were a few who briefly looked as if they'd become available but didn't) we could do worse than having a logjam if guys who are hungry and see opportunity within their grasp. With a few of our depth forwards already having had a taste this year they'll hopefully remain motivated to put their best foot forward when they drop back to reserves.

As for the halves, they've both missed some chances through poor decisions. But on the flip side of things, I think we needed some smarts with organising the play to make opposition work for yardage. We're actually doing quite well with restricting kick return danger by placing clearing kicks well. I'm not one that often calls for dropping players. But if our right edge doesn't get the ball when they're screaming onto it this week I'll be thinking the bye round is time to prep the team for Sexton or Taaffe to get a chance at 7.

So these selection headaches aren't a bad thing. It's like having to pick 17 women to please from a large harem of handpicked beauties from round the world. I'm partial to almost any nationality and appearance at times. Sime people mightn't like Asians, Russians, African, Australian women or whatever. So because the options are all looking good there's healthy discussion about who we'd each go with.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hutch is getting terrible reviews here, let's take a look at it. Positives, has a calming effect on the team and a lot of experience. Team does not seem to pannic under pressure situations. Defence is very good when not running out of the line. Short and long kicking game reasonable. A big body that opposition back rowers do not target. Negatives, a tad slow. On some occasions makes wrong decisions with ball in hand.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s bizarre how Ciro has his pets that are actually terrible. First season it was Perham. He did enough to keep his spot, but it was only a matter of time before it was obvious that his best simply wasn’t good enough. It’s the same for Hutchison. He has hit his ceiling. He’s only good as a bench/fill-in for injuries etc.

The only thing in Ciro’s favour is that no one can say for certain that any of our other options would be better, and while you can try Sexton or someone else, you have to give them several games to get a decent idea if they’re the man for the job.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
On a different point.... How good is it having all these choices?! Taffe, Tracey for FB, Xerri, Critta and Kiraz for centre, spoiled for choice in wingers. Curran and Mann great buys. It wasn't long ago I was bemoaning our lack of options. We've done alright the past two weeks with who is out

Barring 7, the depth is good and holding up. No one gave us a chance Friday, and with that team we frightened a heavily favoured melbourne side with their premier spine.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s bizarre how Ciro has his pets that are actually terrible. First season it was Perham. He did enough to keep his spot, but it was only a matter of time before it was obvious that his best simply wasn’t good enough. It’s the same for Hutchison. He has hit his ceiling. He’s only good as a bench/fill-in for injuries etc.

The only thing in Ciro’s favour is that no one can say for certain that any of our other options would be better, and while you can try Sexton or someone else, you have to give them several games to get a decent idea if they’re the man for the job.
This is the "thing" as the weeks tick over \_(ツ)_/¯

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keep Tracey at 1. Drop hutch and start taafe at 7.

It’s a no brainer
Agree, but I think Taaffe goes back to fb & Tracey prob to centre or off the bench. I highly doubt Ciro will tinker with Burto/Hutch.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
On SEN today a caller rung in to say we should be playing the clubs best #7 in Sexton..Jimmy Smith basically said that the club's best #7 is Mitch Woods & that we should look to start introducing him into grade sooner rather than later..citing other clubs like Canberra using spine players Chevy Stuart, Ethan Strange, Tiges using Bula & Galvin etc
I guess the downside to this is ( i know he's just started playing SG Ball) Would this be too early in his career & maybe stunt his development if we don't get it right..