News Ciraldo’s bid to unleash ‘bulletproof’ Dogs; pre-season standout to watch: ‘24 Verdict

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a season to forget for the Bulldogs in 2023, but rookie coach Cameron Ciraldo “hasn’t held back” in pre-season in a bid to make his side “bulletproof”.

Canterbury-Bankstown finished their last campaign in 15th place and were exposed countless times in defence, conceding the most points of any NRL side.

Ciraldo knows what success looks like, having won two premierships at the Panthers as assistant coach, leading the club’s defence to become the competition’s benchmark.

But now, after 12 months of teething at Belmore, Ciraldo is doing everything he can to emulate the ‘Dogs of War’ and set a new benchmark.

“Off the back of last year, he was new, myself, I was new. A lot of other boys were new as well and some new coaches,” captain Reed Mahoney said to foxsports.com.au.

“So it’s hard to kind of balance everything and get everything right that he wants. Off the back of last year too we have played with a lot of things, things that didn’t work.

I think this pre-season everyone knows the standards, everyone knows how every day works and it’s been really smooth through every week.

“But like every pre-season they’re hard, been trying to build the best base, get us bulletproof for the season because once you get into it there’s not turning back.

“He hasn’t held back either, off the back of our results last year it shows we got a lot of things wrong and we had to get them right this season.

“Everyone’s really grown into themselves and grown into a better player and it’s getting to that time of the season now where we have trials and everything we do in pre-season has to come out in the trials.”

How will the Bulldogs improve? Mahoney believes setting new standards is the only way.

But improving his squad hasn’t been smooth sailing for Ciraldo, with reports of player unrest emerging throughout the 2023 season.

His gruelling training methods were also called into question after an unnamed player walked out of a 12-man wrestling session.

However, now Mahoney emphasised everyone at the club has to buy in and be the “best version” you can be to help your teammates.

“Every club has standards, every club wants to have elite standards, you’re professional athletes. That’s how it is and if you don’t cut it, you aren’t going to fit in,” Mahoney said.

“It’s really simple mate, turning up on time, having the right intentions off the field, having yourself right on days off to make sure you’re good to go to be at your best to train.

“Being the best version of yourself so you can be the best for your teammates, it’s really basic stuff but it’s just having good intentions.”

The Bulldogs also have a fancy new toy this season in Panthers superstar Stephen Crichton, who is arguably the best centre in the competition.

Ciraldo worked with the 23-year-old at Penrith and the Origin gun explained his former coach was a factor in his decision to move away from the three-time premiers.

Yeah probably, not the main factor but I see this as a massive opportunity to grow as a footy player, him being here gave me confidence he could help me,” Crichton said to foxsports.com.au.

“I feel like I wouldn’t be the footy player I am without the teachings he gave me when he was at Penrith. Him already being here gave me confidence I can grow.

“It’s just the mindset things he teaches, the mind is good when footy is going good, we are just trying to learn when things get hard, what are we thinking about.”

When asked what the Bulldogs goals were this season, Crichton clearly wanted to play finals football, having featured in four-straight grand finals at his old club.

“That’s the whole reason why you play first grade, to win games and don’t want to look too far ahead but we are trying to nail pre-season,” Crichton said.

“I’m a strong believer if you have a good pre-season, you have a good season and that’s what we are trying to do here.

“We have been training really hard and I’m so excited to how we go this year... it’s just

Here foxsports.com.au breaks down all the key factors for the Bulldogs heading into the 2024 season!

STRENGTH

Their backrow. The Bulldogs boast one of the best backrow pairings in the competition in Viliame Kikau and Jacob Preston. Kikau endured a disastrous debut season in Belmore and featured in only nine games after suffering a pectoral muscle rupture that required surgery. The 28-year-old was one of Penrith’s danger men during his two premiership-winning seasons in 2021 and 2022. His line running and ability to draw defenders was a key cog in the Panthers’ attacking prowess and it remains to be seen how Cameron Ciraldo will utilise him in 2024. If he stays fit Kikau will be in for a huge season alongside Preston who was a shining light for the Bulldogs last season. The 22-year-old came from the clouds to make his NRL debut off the bench, moving from the Roosters to seek first grade opportunities. Ciraldo knew he had a good player on his hands after one game and Preston stayed in the run on side from the remainder of the year, going on to earn winning the Dr George Peponis Medal as the Bulldogs best player alongside the rookie of the year award.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR

Matt Burton. The former Panther hasn’t set the world on fire during his time at the Bulldogs. But with a full pre-season under his belt, the NSW representative believes he’s never been more ready to deliver. “I missed out on last year’s pre-season and sort of floated into the season, so I feel a lot fitter this season,” he said to foxsports.com.au. “(I’ve been working on) little effort areas around my game, little supports and defence. I feel like I lacked (in those areas) last year.” It remains to be seen who he will partner in the halves in 2024, but both Drew Hutchison or Toby Sexton will likely take the bulk of organisational work. That gives Burton a license to run the ball and play ‘eyes up’ rugby league like he did during his time in Penrith. Burton’s running, alongside his towering bombs, is the best aspect of his game and Ciraldo should be doing everything he can to unlock his gun five-eighth.

WHO’S UNDER PRESSURE

Reed Mahoney. His first season at the Bulldogs didn’t go to plan and by his own admission, the former Eels hooker said he was disappointed with his performances. “It’s hard, you obviously pick and choose at everything and it probably took me a while to put my hand up and say some of my footy wasn’t up to standard,” Mahoney said to foxsports.com.au. He also explained being a captain was a steep learning curve and took a toll on him as he learnt how to be a leader. Now the pressure is on Mahoney to deliver for Ciraldo as both a leader and a hooker. The 25-year-old is one of the NRL’s elite hookers when in form but equally missed the most tackles in the competition last year according to NRL.com’s stats. Mahoney will be desperate to return the Bulldogs to finals contention in 2024, so expect his standards to lift ahead of a Round 1 clash with his old team.

THE RISING STAR

Sam Hughes. When asked who had stood out in pre-season, it was easy for Mahoney to pick Hughes out of the pack. The 23-year-old played five NRL games in 2023, making his debut in Round 6. Mahoney believes he’s primed for a huge season and could even make a shock push for a spot in the run on side. “Young fellow, played five or six games last year and he hasn’t held back this year, he’s come with the right intentions to grab a starting spot even,” Mahoney said. “A bench spot to begin with to be there every week, but he’s grabbed pre-season with both hands. “He’s 110 kilograms and running quick in our time trials, so he’s been a real highlight for us.”

THE UNLUCKY ONES

Either Toby Sexton or Drew Hutchison. Only one of these players will start in the No.7 jersey and both players were impressive in the club’s first pre-season trial. Sexton arrived at Belmore last year and looked like Burton’s long-term halves partner, however Hutchison’s pre-season arrival created a selection headache. The former Rooster was given a glowing wrap by Burton and he said: “(Hutchison) has been great for us, as you said the experience helps and he’s an older head so he helps the younger boys out”. The 28-year-old has 75 NRL games under his belt and could also be picked as a utility off the bench, while Sexton’s best position is clearly at halfback. It’s up to either of these players to stamp their mark and claim the jersey to close out the Bulldogs’ pre-season campaign.

Last edited:

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There are only 8 threads started by DJDeep on the first page.. Pick up your game man..
Has @djdeep4172 got your arm twisted up your back to force you to read his posts? I think he is doing a good job posting these articles, but he should provide proper attributions, instead of giving the impression that he has written them.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Noticed in the first trial game against the storm our attack is set a lot deeper than previous flat passing shallow formation. Jayson Taylor most probably had a lot to do with that. My only recommendation on ball play is they seem to be passing beautifully and ending up with no result. Our runners should be lining up coming onto the ball where the defence has got their distance between themselves wrong. Will see this on at least three occasions out of the six tackles .

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Mods can we have a subcategory setup just for “news” these blow arse articles just flood the bulldogs section as it is.

People chasing news can then post and visit that section.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed in the first trial game against the storm our attack is set a lot deeper than previous flat passing shallow formation. Jayson Taylor most probably had a lot to do with that. My only recommendation on ball play is they seem to be passing beautifully and ending up with no result. Our runners should be lining up coming onto the ball where the defence has got their distance between themselves wrong. Will see this on at least three occasions out of the six tackles .
I agree mate, I see it as still a work in progress, it’s a good start and I’m sure they’ll run and study a lot of video replays, then get out on the field and perfect it given some more game time ..

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I hope they maintain this deep line structure - I am tired of the shallow flat footed plays. If they keep this up, they will adjust it more and more and then add their instincts to it more to find gaps. They just need to cement this as a habit so they do not think about it - it just happens and they can turn their attention to playing what's in front of them.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Such a heartwarming thread. Here's a really depressing song to compliment it

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney didn't have the forward pack to work off last year.

Put him in a side with capable players around him, and he's a completely different player.