Chris Anderson getting involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
With the pros also come the cons though.

As a player manager or a player, you would have zero confidence signing with the Bulldogs that your contract is going to be honoured or seen through to the end.

Much like the current playing group you'd be forever thinking in the back of your head "Am I going to be next to be told I'm moving on".

Particularly for young talent (which is who we are after) this could be a real problem...

Sign a "2 year" contract with the Bulldogs, or sign a 2 Year fixed contract with the Roosters with a guaranteed promotional to the next grade should you perform, AND a brand new car. I know what I'd chose.

I was talking to someone at the club the other day and I thought the same about Costa aswell but his only role is to balance the books and he doesn’t make any decisions about how money is spent.
Ahh gotcha..

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hear, hear all this upheaval just has to happen.

Fans upset with our results but want softly softly approach to get there?

And Turvey was mentioned as getting more hands on too? Who has a problem with that?

This re-building won't be easy and anyone other than tough negotiators and head kickers will get it done.
For mine the problem is that McDonnell has a significant track record of recruiting good players to clubs. If Ando and Turvey climb over the top of him at his age he could comfortably walk. He had maloney ready to come here and Des knocked it on the head for Foran. Being a premiership winning coach and player doesn't necessarily make you a good talent spotter. Des ignored McDonnell and it cost us. If these two do as well it may cost us even more. You put people in jobs to do the job. By all means work with them to achieve what you need to but you have to let them do their job. It's not about being a tough negotiator or even a head kicker, it is about working with your assets not alienating them.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For mine the problem is that McDonnell has a significant track record of recruiting good players to clubs. If Ando and Turvey climb over the top of him at his age he could comfortably walk. He had maloney ready to come here and Des knocked it on the head for Foran. Being a premiership winning coach and player doesn't necessarily make you a good talent spotter. Des ignored McDonnell and it cost us. If these two do as well it may cost us even more. You put people in jobs to do the job. By all means work with them to achieve what you need to but you have to let them do their job. It's not about being a tough negotiator or even a head kicker, it is about working with your assets not alienating them.
I am sure if McDonnell (hypothetically) had someone like Maloney to come over to the club, I am sure Anderson, Turvey and co wouldn't step in and let him do the work to get him over. I trust the Andersons and Turvey more then Des and his Manly mates considering Turvey and the Andersons were at the club long before that arrogant cockhead Des.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I am sure if McDonnell (hypothetically) had someone like Maloney to come over to the club, I am sure Anderson, Turvey and co wouldn't step in and let him do the work to get him over. I trust the Andersons and Turvey more then Des and his Manly mates considering Turvey and the Andersons were at the club long before that arrogant cockhead Des.
Agree. Des had a thing for Foran that blinded him, but all coaches have at least one pet player they just have to protect don't they. Look at Bennett and Boyd. Another example. The important thing is they work together to do what is needed otherwise we all lose. I don't even care that a few players noses are out of joint at the moment, but I do care if it is just because some people are doing it just because they can rather than because we need to.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the pros also come the cons though.

As a player manager or a player, you would have zero confidence signing with the Bulldogs that your contract is going to be honoured or seen through to the end.

Much like the current playing group you'd be forever thinking in the back of your head "Am I going to be next to be told I'm moving on".

Particularly for young talent (which is who we are after) this could be a real problem...

Sign a "2 year" contract with the Bulldogs, or sign a 2 Year fixed contract with the Roosters with a guaranteed promotional to the next grade should you perform, AND a brand new car. I know what I'd chose.
The same Roosters that couldn't get rid of contracted Pearce soon enough when Cronk came on the market?

Its just what happens these days you could find examples at most clubs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree with that but it just seems they've taken far too much power (in terms of recruitment) away from Pay hence I'm guessing they never intended to keep him
Good :grinning:

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have no issue with what Anderson is doing, he’s come in and had a look at some of our overpaid and overrated players on the roster and is showing them the door.
I’m getting the impression that our “ salary cap issues” is not as bad as they are making it out to be but is be8ng used as an excuse to rid the club of the overpaid underachieving rubbish .

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m getting the impression that our “ salary cap issues” is not as bad as they are making it out to be but is be8ng used as an excuse to rid the club of the overpaid underachieving rubbish .
I have the exact same feeling ..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't know the guy but gave heard good (but not brilliant) reports about him.

What you say is correct under normal circumstances. These are anything but.

We need a tough stance taken. Mediocre doesn't cut it anymore. There is heaps of work to do and we don't have time for the nicieties or due process.

The Board need to act and I'd be trusting Anderson and Turvey's judgement over McDonell's (if that's what it boils down to).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with what Anderson is doing, he’s come in and had a look at some of our overpaid and overrated players on the roster and is showing them the door.
I doubt it because for one we haven't signed anyone besides Cogger and secondly you don't need an excuse we could have just gone about it quietly and coming out saying there is cap problem puts us on the back foot straight away with negotiations.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree. Des had a thing for Foran that blinded him, but all coaches have at least one pet player they just have to protect don't they. Look at Bennett and Boyd. Another example. The important thing is they work together to do what is needed otherwise we all lose. I don't even care that a few players noses are out of joint at the moment, but I do care if it is just because some people are doing it just because they can rather than because we need to.
"I don't even care that a few players noses are out of joint at the moment, but I do care if it is just because some people are doing it just because they can rather than because we need to".

When voted in the new board had 2 years to uphold their promise to the members of re-instating the clubs fortunes. They had no idea of the extent of the calamity they had walked into and now have to deal with so many issues, it would look insurmountable unless they took full responsibility and control of the outcome.

I see it that they are being proactive in getting the ship back on an even keel, to at least compete...let alone premiership material.

You can't tackle all our problems unless yiu are prepared to kick those heads who are standing in your way (no matter who they are)...the situation is thaat bad.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

We need a tough stance taken. Mediocre doesn't cut it anymore. There is heaps of work to do and we don't have time for the nicieties or due process.

The Board need to act and I'd be trusting Anderson and Turvey's judgement over McDonell's (if that's what it boils down to).
I thought McDonnell came in after Des era? Wasn’t fat fk Cleal the Recruitment idiot?

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrr fuck me. Maloney was coming and Des fucked it. I didn’t realise.
Fuck sake

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I thought McDonnell came in after Des era? Wasn’t fat fk Cleal the Recruitment idiot?
This article from 2016 when we reported we were over the salary cap with Lloyd Perret...our problems overseen by Hasler, Fib and Castle are long standing.

"The Bulldogs hold the salary cap in the highest of regards and once we identified a potential breach position that we could not rectify for the 2016 season, we reported this to the NRL," Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle said in a statement last week.
"The cap position will not be finalised until the NRL have completed their salary cap audit process across all 16 NRL clubs", Castle said.
The Bulldogs have subsequently undergone a major restructure of their football department and support staff. Long-term recruiter Noel "Crusher" Cleal has left and been replaced Wests Tigers talent spotter Warren McDonnell. The Tigers have then poached assistant coach Kelly Egan as their new as their new general manager of football, with his place at Canterbury taken by former Eels and Rabbitohs halfback David Penna. Mind coach John Novak, speed coach Clayton Kearney and assistant recruiter Jim Whitney have all moved on.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I think Anderson and Turvey are more interested in tearing down than recruiting. That's fine you need to demolish to rebuild but you still need to get the builder in to do the new work if they roll over the top of McDonnell and decide to do it themselves we will lose a big asset. This bloke has strong credibility among managers. I don't know that you can't say the same for the other two. Not doubting their passion or interest only their connections with those who manage the kids we want to recruit. It is a closed world.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate I expressed that exact same thought a month a go :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think Anderson and Turvey are more interested in tearing down than recruiting. That's fine you need to demolish to rebuild but you still need to get the builder in to do the new work if they roll over the top of McDonnell and decide to do it themselves we will lose a big asset. This bloke has strong credibility among managers. I don't know that you can't say the same for the other two. Not doubting their passion or interest only their connections with those who manage the kids we want to recruit. It is a closed world.
You may be right but Warren would surely be used to Football Club directors having a say in recruitment..we have a specific Committee now set up to heavily oversee our future. This new Board have their promises to keep and only 2 years. If yiu were in their position, and a Club icon, you may act the same....I know I would.

I dont think Anderson and Turvey or the Board have the luxury of just letting recruitment run its course the way it normally would...we are in dire straits to get a Top 30 let alone outstanding juniors and ISP players.

I trust them to get it done the best way possible because I don't see any alternative.

They take the responsibility and make changes for the good and people get upset...they let things take their natural course and we dont see real progress in 2 years and all the knockers say they didn't do the job they promised.

If I was in that same situation, you don't want to die wondering and let the Club down. Do whatever it takes should be the new motto :grinning:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You may be right but Warren would surely be used to Football Club directors having a say in recruitment..we have a specific Committee now set up to heavily oversee our future. This new Board have their promises to keep and only 2 years. If yiu were in their position, and a Club icon, you may act the same....I know I would.

I dont think Anderson and Turvey or the Board have the luxury of just letting recruitment run its course the way it normally would...we are in dire straits to get a Top 30 let alone outstanding juniors and ISP players.

I trust them to get it done the best way possible because I don't see any alternative.

They take the responsibility and make changes for the good and people get upset...they let things take their natural course and we dont see real progress in 2 years and all the knockers say they didn't do the job they promised.

If I was in that same situation, you don't want to die wondering and let the Club down. Do whatever it takes should be the new motto :grinning:
Sadly, whatever it takes was Des' motto. McDonnell has already recruited a large number of juniors to the club that we can build a team on in coming years. He knows his stuff. He recruited all the young blokes who went through the Tigers including JAC and a few others who have moved on. He knows what he is doing. Turvey has been there throughout the last 20 years. It hasn't gone that well for us overall has it in terms of recruitment. Opes has been out of the game for almost the same time so he wouldn't have a great relationship with most of the managers either. I'm sure they are great for the teardown just not that confident about the rebuild.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

A lot of common sense in that post Wendog. Very refreshing after reading all the other dribble and speculation. The board with less than two years to go until the next election are in a position of you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Speaking to one of the football club directors the other night at the club, the amount of work they are doing around the clock is immense. They deserve a pat on the back. I can assure you this board has the club’s best interest first. Exciting things ahead. If they keep pulling the right strings they will definitely be getting my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.