Rumour Charlie Staines x Burton?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to aim a lot higher than Staines if we are going t o recruit a full back. Joey Manu level type recruitment. We need a class 1 or 7. I dont care about contracts - we pay Gus to make shit happen. Get someone.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At the right price I agree. That right price would be in the $250-$300k range no more than that. He is a fullback playing on the wing. He is fast and he is better than anything we have currently. A cost effective incentive based 2 year year deal with a club option on a 3rd year.
Is he better than anything we have? I'm not so sure he is. Staines isn't proven at fullback and will just be another on the long list of gambles we've taken in previous years that probably doesn't eventuate to much. Cowboys and Broncos have shown us the way and it's to sign an established playmaker. Broncos are literally playing with scraps in Gamble, Walters and Martin and can even get the job done with Reynolds off the field now. Dearden a Broncos reject is now one of the form 5/8's in the comp and part of the QLD squad. Gus needs to stop selling us this shit that it's going to take time because it doesn't, time for him to use some of his so called contacts and pull and get us an established playmaker.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double standards Penrith ,Wouldn't release Burton but happy to let Staines go because his surplus to requirements
More likely need to free up salary cap space as remember that kid still easy 500k. Remember we actually we're offering stupid money as well which he turn down. Do for a second think it was less than 500

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to aim a lot higher than Staines if we are going t o recruit a full back. Joey Manu level type recruitment. We need a class 1 or 7. I dont care about contracts - we pay Gus to make shit happen. Get someone.
Agree. Enough of buying stronger clubs rejects. We need class in those positions and pay marquee money if that's what it takes. I'd be looking at Manu, Walsh, Drink water....players that can create points for us

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
More likely need to free up salary cap space as remember that kid still easy 500k. Remember we actually we're offering stupid money as well which he turn down. Do for a second think it was less than 500
Why the hell did Penrith even offer that much for him? Makes absolutely no sense on their end. They did not need to retain him.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Staines has put on 5kg since his debut and is now playing much tougher - He was a good ball playing FB in reserve grade, however, he came into first grade on the wing a little physically underdone. Edwards is super consistent so we won't be seeing Staines in his preferred position any time soon (baring injury to Edwards). Currently he is around 87kg and will probably finish up around 90kg when he stops growing - he is still only 21. Hard to tell if he is a much of an upgrade on what we already have - I'd like to see how Averillo goes over the next month.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why the hell did Penrith even offer that much for him? Makes absolutely no sense on their end. They did not need to retain him.
He was probably going to be a winger until that other Bloke took his spot

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Persist with Averillo for the rest of the year. I expect he will do well and if so then let’s prepare him at Fb for 2023. Even if he has flaws i still think he can easily get specific work done at FB in the pre season that hopefully isnt ran by a bunch of fuckwits.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was probably going to be a winger until that other Bloke took his spot
Taylan May didn't come out of no where though and was highly rated. I suppose they could move Tago back the the backrow when Kikau leaves, May to centre and then Staines to the wing. Either way it just seems like a lot of money to spen on a player like him considering what they already had at the club.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Staines a fullback, yet he has only slightly better hands than Okunbor.

So many better options that "the Forbes Ferrari".

They are only releasing him because they have May, Crichton, and other better options at the club.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree. Enough of buying stronger clubs rejects. We need class in those positions and pay marquee money if that's what it takes. I'd be looking at Manu, Walsh, Drink water....players that can create points for us
manu- roosters never let him leave.
Drinkwater- already rejected us before he signed with cows
Walsh- QLD boy no chance

so unless we pay massive overs, we wont get any of them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus said in commentary last week that Staines is an out and out Fullback, not a winger.
I've never seen Staines play fullback therefore I can not judge him, but if Gus believes in him it's enough for me.
The question will Averillo fulfill the dream of becoming our rock star fullback ?
If not, why wouldn't we go for Staines at the right price

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
manu- roosters never let him leave.
Drinkwater- already rejected us before he signed with cows
Walsh- QLD boy no chance

so unless we pay massive overs, we wont get any of them.
Maybe.....but if we were to throw marquee money at them I think we would be in with a chance

Manu, although on pretty good money now I imagine, I think we could aim at $900000 - $1m, the promise of playing fullback, he is a matchwinner

Drinkwater at a guess wouldn't be on huge money at the moment and if we were to offer substantially more we could be in with a shot

Walsh, the same, offer marquee money we could be in with a chance

Even if we did have to pay overs to get one of these guys (or someone else of that class) I think that Gus is clearing the decks so we can put substantial money into our spine

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that Charlie Staines is free to negotiate with other clubs for next season even though he is still contracted to Penrith for 2023. With the rise of Taylan May, better opportunities may lie elsewhere.

Admittedly, he is not a great winger and even stinks in the Penrith system. He came through as a decent fullback and the connection in the spine with Matt Burton goes back to their Dubbo CYMS days. They teamed together in the Western Rams, Country NSW, NSW Blues Under 20s and Under 18s, and Canterbury Cup.

Would looking at Staines for a FB role be something you would entertain? Alot of pundits reckon Staines would make a star fullback. It will also help in keeping Burton at the club.
View attachment 53117
If it keeps Burton happy it’s worth consideration. Staines has some attributes for the fullback role. Speed and stamina. Good under the high ball. Not sure if he can pass. If he came cheap he would be worth a crack