Champion Bulldogs centre Willie Talau’s brother accused of punching teen referee Kurt Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
THE BROTHER of Canterbury Bulldogs star Willie Talau is facing serious assault charges after allegedly punching a 16-year-old referee during an under-12s rugby league game.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal it was 34-year-old Jucy Talau who allegedly punched teen referee Kurt Portsmouth in a shock incident that drew condemnation from authorities.

Kurt’s father Scott Portsmouth last night said he had “never seen anything” that compared to the incident in his 35 years of being involved in the sport. “The crowd just groaned and I ran out on to the field to be with my son,” he said.

e incident occurred after the young referee had ruled Talau’s son be replaced during a match between the Engadine Dragons and Gymea Gorillas. Police had to be called to Anzac Oval in Engadine, with Talau — a trainer with the Gorillas — being charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Kurt — who suffered a brain tumour four years ago — was taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital with bruising.

Talau’s partner refused to make a comment when questioned by The Daily Telegraph yesterday at their Kurnell home.

Cronulla Junior Rugby League general manager Nathan Waugh issued a blanket media ban to league officials via email yesterday, warning that anyone caught talking to journalists about the “distressing incident” would face judicial discipline.

f anyone is found to have made comment to the media and is named or quoted concerning the incident, the Junior League will cite that individual and they will face a judicial hearing,” the email read. “The Junior League is working closely with the Referees Association, the two clubs involved, Cronulla Sharks, NSWRL and the NRL.

“We are co-operating with all relevant parties to look after the welfare of the young referee.”

Mr Portsmouth said his son was keen to get back on the paddock and to referee more games.

“Kurt is OK except for a black eye,” he said. “The important thing is Kurt doesn’t want this incident to put off other potential young referees.”

Talau will appear in Sutherland Local Court on Wednesday.

A rugby league judiciary hearing is yet to be fixed.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...h/news-story/6cf0cacf9a5f388ead215f7739a1d27e

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me just say this bloke should be kicked out of the game but this article is pathetic. There is no mention that Willie Talau is a former star who hasn't played for the club in 13 years...it's no surprise it's written by Booze Rothfield who is I massive sharks fan trying to deflect blame onto the dogs.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Let me just say this bloke should be kicked out of the game but this article is pathetic. There is no mention that Willie Talau is a former star who hasn't played for the club in 13 years...it's no surprise it's written by Booze Rothfield who is I massive sharks fan trying to deflect blame onto the dogs.
I thought the same thing. Surely there has to be some legal implications to such a misleading article by a drunk.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolute disgrace like what a tough prick punching a 16 year old ,fucking hate these wanna be parents trying to live what they couldn't achieve through their kids

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Something needs to be done about these type of parents who ruin junior leagues matches. Its just a game.

Reesy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Of course the clown is a disgrace but Rothfield is a disgrace to his profession for even referencing this story back to Bulldogs. Talau left the Dogs over 13 years ago, is long retired, played for other clubs as well and it was his BROTHER. No association with Canterbury.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I was just listening to this story on MMM and they made no mention of Willie Talau or the Bulldogs, so I was surprised to see this headline here.

However to say that mentioning the connection is trying to connect this to the Bulldogs and deflect from Sharks is a bit much. The alleged offender being related to a former NRL player is relevant to the story, because the offence happened on a rugby league field. No need to grab your pitch forks here, anyone with sense won't use this story to look down on the Bulldogs and if they do, who cares? Someone like that isn't worth any of your attention or thought.

Back to the story, this guy needs to cop assault charges and be banned from ANYTHING to do with rugby league ever again. This poor kid doesn't play Rugby League anymore because he can't risk head knocks, so copping a punch in the head from a full grown man is risking this kids life. Absolutely appalling.

I hope this doesn't prevent the kid from reffing again.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just listening to this story on MMM and they made no mention of Willie Talau or the Bulldogs, so I was surprised to see this headline here.

However to say that mentioning the connection is trying to connect this to the Bulldogs and deflect from Sharks is a bit much. The alleged offender being related to a former NRL player is relevant to the story, because the offence happened on a rugby league field. No need to grab your pitch forks here, anyone with sense won't use this story to look down on the Bulldogs and if they do, who cares? Someone like that isn't worth any of your attention or thought.

Back to the story, this guy needs to cop assault charges and be banned from ANYTHING to do with rugby league ever again. This poor kid doesn't play Rugby League anymore because he can't risk head knocks, so copping a punch in the head from a full grown man is risking this kids life. Absolutely appalling.

I hope this doesn't prevent the kid from reffing again.
I disagree when he mentions Bulldogs in the headline aswell as the first sentence there is no doubt he is trying trying to drag the club into it. If someone just casually skims though the paper or net they connect our club with the incident.

As you say a FORMER player being related to the grub is relevant information which isn't mentioned in the article and it gives the impression that it's a current player.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drawing a very long bow you pisshead. What a way to deflect attention away from a Shire comp to a Bulldogs player that left 13 years ago.

Dickhead.
Dont be to harsh the degenerate **** has probably been in a booze induced coma for many of years or suffers from wet brain.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But while people click on his rubbish the cancer will continue to fester

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My daughter is a soccer ref , last year she was reffing an under 12's game and one of the coaches was yelling abuse at her ,she was 14 .

When she finished the game the coach came up to her still yelling and telling her she was a disgrace, she was filling in a sheet after the game and he grabbed the pen off her hand and threw it .

She was rattled but ok , she advised the ref officials of what happened via the sheet she was writing on .

When I told my husband he stalked this guy and followed him to the next game ,
He didnt know what he looked like but knew the team he coached and his name so he calmly approached a woman that was sitting near the team, he introduced himself and said he's the ref's father and that he's looking for Steven.
It so happened it was his wife , she said your daughter was disgusting last week and that she shouldn't be reffing.

He refrained himself from reacting ( thank God I wasn't there) then said I want to discuss this with your husband.

The husbsnd walked up to them and she told him that this is that refs dad.

As expected he became aggressive and told my husband that my daughter was pathetic and shouldn't be reffing , my husband said mate I don't want to talk to you here can we step in the car park for a minute..

He then yelled at my husband and my husband continued to ask him to come to the carpark away from the kids ..anyhow he eventually came to the carpark with another bloke. My husband stuck his face as close to his face as he could and told him that 'he was going to apologise to my daughter via a letter otherwise his life wouldn't be worth living..I'm not sure what else happened but on the Tuesday mu husband came home with a letter of apology from Steven.. I read it but it sounded like he was justifying his actions more than an apology so he went back and made him write another one!!
The guy got banned for 2 years ( wasn't even allowed to watch!)

I know it's not how to deal with issues like this , but anyway thought I'd let you know our experience.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's click bait - not a Bulldogs bash. Some of you guys really need to lose the tin foil hats.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope the guy gets sent to prison. But Rothfield is a rubbish journalist. I don't know why he needs to mention who the person is related to and that they were connected to a club. No individual is resposible for the action of other family members.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No excuses he should be kicked out for life

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Of course the clown is a disgrace but Rothfield is a disgrace to his profession for even referencing this story back to Bulldogs. Talau left the Dogs over 13 years ago, is long retired, played for other clubs as well and it was his BROTHER. No association with Canterbury.
Couldn't agree more, this is a disgrace

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ban for life, not even a argument. Quite sick of the link with Dogs though. It's defamation in my opinion.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diggin' your daughter's story @Wolfmother ... how old is she and has she regained her confidence to continue refereeing ?
~c.

Status
Not open for further replies.