CEOs: Let's change jersey numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was meant to be the chief executives meeting that decided upon the future of the NRL's salary cap.

Instead, the biggest development to come out of the meeting revolves around player's jersey numbers.

The five club CEOs involved – South Sydney's Shane Richardson, the Roosters' Steve Noyce, Brisbane's Bruno Cullen, Newcastle's Steve Burraston and Canberra's Don Furner – all supported the salary cap as it stands, despite the controversy caused by the Melbourne Storm scandal and the looming departure of Bronco Israel Folau to rugby or the AFL.

"We are all working within the cap and we all want to find the best ways forward but, in the end, it comes down to how much the clubs can afford to spend," Richardson said.

"We are not talking about one or two 'poorer' clubs but the majority."

The only real change suggested by the CEOs was to remove the current system whereby player jersey numbers reflect their position.

Such a move would allow Jarryd Hayne, for example, to decide against wearing the fullback's No.1, and instead choose any number he wished – No.23, say – and keep that number throughout his career.

It's a model used in the AFL, European football and American sports, and – importantly for the CEOs – could lead to a significant merchandising boost for clubs and players.

"It allows fans to identify with a favourite player when they are at the game and when they purchase a jersey," Roosters boss Steve Noyce said.

"The way positions are today, the numbers do not really reflect where people actually play and there is a chance for people to better identify with their favourite player.

"There are only two sports that retain numbers based on position and it is time we moved on."

http://www.bigpondsport.com/news/tabid/281/newsid/45252/ceos-lets-change-jersey-numbers/default.aspx

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice to see the NRL tackling the bigger issues in our game.

Stupid idea imo, sometimes you dont know what the hell a player is playing unless he has a number. Would make things wayyy more confusing.

R

rocky IV

lol yeh such a pressing issue in the game atm

***in duds

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Oh yeah that's really soooo important :sleepy:

What a joke. ****ing idiots.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
While they're at it .... we need a Royal Commission into why Tartare sauce isn't served with the fish'n'chips at the SFS !

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
good thing they weren't wasting time

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think its a good idea as far as marketing goes tbh.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
:roflol:

What the f**k did I say when I started that thread?

Oh my god, I need an oxygen tank to get my breath back from laughing so much.

You really couldn't make this stupidity up.

This is like putting 5 guys in a room with the intent to help work towards global warming and instead they come up with an idea for a new reality show featuring the Wog Boy Nick Gianappopolous or whatever his name is.

By the way, terrible idea. Super League had it and the ESL has it and that's not what Rugby League is. My oh my oh my these f**kwits have just blown my mind with how incompetent and dumb they are. This story just made my life complete.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a bunch of friggin idiots. That is the most idiotic decision i have ever heard. Get rid of these stupid bunch of geriatric fools before the NRL no longer exists.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I just read it again.

It never ceases to amaze.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
ohhhh gosh, i aint even gonna bother with a response

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh thankgoodness the major issues surrounding the game have now been taken care of....:sleepy:

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
lol there is more important things to worry about hth

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stupid idea. Stupid stupid stupid. Words cannot describe how stupid it is.

MikeG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would make merchandising worse...

Imagine all of those Parra kids in 2013 when they have a jersey that says "23 Hayne" on it - and he's playing AFL for GWS in the No. 42 jersey

Would be less embarrassing for all parties if the kids stuck to just having a "1" on their jersey...

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
I would get lost if they changed it, just leave it the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.