Central West Connection

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just thinking about how we have several blokes from central west NSW in the squad, which is pretty cool and hopefully gives them a stronger bond.

Naden (Wellington), Burton and Burns (Dubbo), and Jacko (Gulgong). Maybe there are others? CWNSW includes Orange and Bathurst and many other towns.

Anyway, I'd love for them to play a game in Dubbo or Mudgee. The latter is preferable as it's closer to me and one of the best regional grounds. They play the charity shield there and the odd NRL game if you weren't aware. It's such a nice ground and not too far away, that I've considered attending the charity shield, but haven't. Neither team is who I follow obviously.

Another interesting fact about origins I discovered, is that Addo-Carr was born in Blacktown, same as me. No wonder I like him. I had a feeling he was from out Dubbo way too, but found out he was born in Blacktown. He played for Doonside as a little kid, before moving to Earlwood.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus is a pretty big proponent of having development programs in multiple regional areas. He also loves taking games to the bush and did so often with Penrith so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a regular season game played in the bush within the next few seasons.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burto absolutely killed it in his old hometown last year I think?.
I'm all for it taking the game to the country occasionally the crowds are passionate and appreciative too no doubt.Last year it was kinda cool seeing the games that went regional during covid at more modest but intimate football grounds.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm all for it taking the game to the country occasionally the crowds are passionate and appreciative too no doubt.Last year it was kinda cool seeing the games that went regional during covid at more modest but intimate football grounds.
We've taken games to Perth, Adelaide and NZ but we haven't taken too many games to the bush in the past 20 years. I'm sure Gus will correct that because it's huge for those areas and also the clubs benefit a lot from it too. Especially if we have several players from that area.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is a pretty big proponent of having development programs in multiple regional areas. He also loves taking games to the bush and did so often with Penrith so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a regular season game played in the bush within the next few seasons.
Do you remember if it was Panthers or Souths that took a game to Dubbo last season or the one before? Both clubs played iirc, but I think it was Souths' home game. I went to a trial in Dubbo 10-15 years ago. I think I was holidaying at the property I now live at, and we decided to make the hour or so drive over there. We played Canberra and it was a good night. Bobcat (the local hero) played.

I think the charity shield started going to Mudgee because the local team is the Dragons. They must've liked it so much, they kept returning. Must be about the 5th or 6th one they'll play in a week or two. Mudgee also hosts Titans and Manly later in the season iirc, which afaik have no ties to the region, so no idea why they play there. It would be a good location if Gus/club were to play in the country, as it's central to the towns where our CWNSW players are from.

It looks like they might play up Tamworth though, seeing though they've had a camp there and other associations with the area through Farrer school iirc.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should do it more often and go to towns that haven't had much or any games before. I know I said I'd like the doggies to play out here, but I don't mind travelling farther. They could go to Orange for instance. You'd think they'd take games there often, but I can't remember any. One of the Mortimer's (Daniel's father) lives there and has a vineyard.

This country of our's is vast. As someone who has been lucky enough to see most of it, it's truly mind boggling how big it is. Most of the eastern and north of the country loves rugby league. More towns/cities should get to see it tbh. Unfortunately it seems that only a few are usually chosen. It would have to be an area with a decent population, but just look at a map and there's tons of those towns across rugby league regions.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not yet, I don't want to move our games anywhere until we prove we won't embarrass ourselves on the football field like previous seasons.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should they start taking nrl games to Tamworth from next season
I don't think so, but I reckon they will. The reason I don't think they should is because they already get Wests v Newcastle, unless that's no longer being played there. Tamworth is a big town, so a couple of games a year is fair, but ther are plenty of others that would probably like some. Armidale, for example. Glen Innes, Narrabri, Inverell, the list goes on.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just thinking about how we have several blokes from central west NSW in the squad, which is pretty cool and hopefully gives them a stronger bond.

Naden (Wellington), Burton and Burns (Dubbo), and Jacko (Gulgong). Maybe there are others? CWNSW includes Orange and Bathurst and many other towns.

Anyway, I'd love for them to play a game in Dubbo or Mudgee. The latter is preferable as it's closer to me and one of the best regional grounds. They play the charity shield there and the odd NRL game if you weren't aware. It's such a nice ground and not too far away, that I've considered attending the charity shield, but haven't. Neither team is who I follow obviously.

Another interesting fact about origins I discovered, is that Addo-Carr was born in Blacktown, same as me. No wonder I like him. I had a feeling he was from out Dubbo way too, but found out he was born in Blacktown. He played for Doonside as a little kid, before moving to Earlwood.
Burns is from Coonamble I think. Boarding school in Sydney.
Go the dogs.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burns is from Coonamble I think. Boarding school in Sydney.
Go the dogs.
Born in Dubbo, played in Coonamble. Dunno when he moved from Dubbo. That's according to Wikipedia so not 100% certain. Coonamble is in the next region anyway. Under two hours north of Dubbo.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should they start taking nrl games to Tamworth from next season
If the NRL had any brains they'd host a "Regional Round" or "Country Round", where each team plays in a regional area or country town, and money from that round goes back to that regional area.

Could be a massive boost to country footy (in particular kids coming through).

But hey, an idea like that is far too hard for NRL to consider.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, so simple to implement a regional round. Just have to find the grounds that can accommodate. I'm sure they would exist. Off the top of my head there's Glen Willow (Mudgee), Apex/Caltex Park (Dubbo), Scully Park (Tamworth) and Bathurst. After checking on rugbyleagueproject and looking at recently used venues, there's also Wagga, Parkes and others. There's plenty in Queensland too, so you could have Titans vs Brisbane at one of those grounds and Cowboys v Dolphins at another, with the other NSW/ACT/Vic/NZ teams playing in a town relevant to them.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Big area
Orange doesn’t really have a facility similar to glen willow at Mudgee
Wade park is ok but won’t hold big numbers
There is a new stadium getting built at a new sports precent near the hospital but not to sure on how big it will be
Dubbo has a better chance
But Mudgee stadium the pick out west
Bathurst has carrington park which is about the same as Dubbo

But defiantly need some more nrl in the central wesr

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I’ve been to both Dubbo and Mudgee for City v Country games. Both ground are a good standard for NRL games. I agree Mudgee is the better of the 2. I have always been in favour of EVERY team being forced to play a home game in a regional area. Unfortunately one Queensland based club won’t play ball in that concept.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the NRL had any brains they'd host a "Regional Round" or "Country Round", where each team plays in a regional area or country town, and money from that round goes back to that regional area.

Could be a massive boost to country footy (in particular kids coming through).

But hey, an idea like that is far too hard for NRL to consider.
NRL and brains should not be used in the same sentence. Agree with your post however.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, so simple to implement a regional round. Just have to find the grounds that can accommodate. I'm sure they would exist. Off the top of my head there's Glen Willow (Mudgee), Apex/Caltex Park (Dubbo), Scully Park (Tamworth) and Bathurst. After checking on rugbyleagueproject and looking at recently used venues, there's also Wagga, Parkes and others. There's plenty in Queensland too, so you could have Titans vs Brisbane at one of those grounds and Cowboys v Dolphins at another, with the other NSW/ACT/Vic/NZ teams playing in a town relevant to them.
To make it fair, you would have to make it so the team who loses a home game one year, plays the same opponent the next year, with the home team being reversed the 2nd year. A concept that doesn’t happen in the Magic Round.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you are suggesting that we not only poach Penrith's talent, but also play games in their recruitment zones.

Sounds fucken great to me. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big area
Orange doesn’t really have a facility similar to glen willow at Mudgee
Wade park is ok but won’t hold big numbers
There is a new stadium getting built at a new sports precent near the hospital but not to sure on how big it will be
Dubbo has a better chance
But Mudgee stadium the pick out west
Bathurst has carrington park which is about the same as Dubbo

But defiantly need some more nrl in the central wesr
Ahh, I figured Wade Park mustn't be up to NRL standard, because they haven't hosted a game in several years.

Yeah, I'm lucky to live less than an hour from Glen Willow. It's a very nice ground and less than 10 years old, so everything is relatively new. They're always upgrading too, although I think mostly it's the surrounding grounds, car park and amenities buildings. I'm not sure if the grandstand and main ground have had any changes since being built, but don't really need it. They could put seats on the 3 sides, but I doubt it'd happen being in a small town.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are suggesting that we not only poach Penrith's talent, but also play games in their recruitment zones.

Sounds fucken great to me. :grinning::grinning::grinning:
Haha just because they are the farthest west team in Sydney, doesn't mean they should have their pick of all of western NSW! They've claimed Bathurst and fair enough. They've also got Staines from Forbes. I don't know if there's much of an association between St. Geo-Illa Dragons and Mudgee Dragons, but the central west is a big area, so plenty for other teams to recruit from, and even bigger is western NSW in general.

It looks like Gus is putting a lot of our eggs in the New England and North Coast basket though, which is fine. Establishing pathways in the regions with the best junior talent is a no-brainer.