Canterbury side Vs South Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I watched Tim Browne on the weekend. Nothing special, I'd rather Hickey.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Green was much better than I expected vs the Roosters.

Made plenty of tackles with good technique, and ran two great lines - one leading to Barba's 2nd.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tim Browne for one he plays like Price and is as big as hickey without the body fat. Great offload and makes lots of metres
MArtin tapau Is very much ready to make the step up to fg is big strong and built like a bulldozer is also NYC captain
Danny Williams: is picked this week but is behind hickey in pecking order
Benson Toupu: Hard strong runner similar to Paea

Im only going off whats available. Whats the bet when Halatau, Paea and Hodgson are fit hickey is still on the bench
Your naming players that havnt even played fg, tapau is playing against 20 year olds how the hell can you say he would be a better option, Danny williams is a 2nd rower which is why he has come in for halatau. Your another bloke that thinks fg and the nyc are the same or even close ffs 40 all draws lmao talk about a defenceless comp.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was solid against the roosters, Made some pretty damn good tackles and held his own against the 2nd rowers dont see any better options atm.
He also ran some good lines and linked up well with our backs

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
quote it cuz take a pic and burn it into memory.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Also, the gamble to bring Halatau back early was a silly one. If I'm not mistaken, he aggravated the same injury he was sidelined with initially. So if we're bringing Williams in now, why didn't we just do that against the Roosters and not risk losing Halatau for more time like we have?
Nah the original injury was an ankle ligament. Injuries happen we can't blame it on bringing him back early. We brought back Armit early and he got through the game fine.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Nah the original injury was an ankle ligament. Injuries happen we can't blame it on bringing him back early. We brought back Armit early and he got through the game fine.
You're right.

I initially thought it was his knee for some reason. Cheers for refreshing the memory.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Besides Buddy IMO. But yeah, I agree he was solid and his defence has been quite good in the two games he has played.
Buddy is best coming off the bench, He has a ****load more impact coming on against a tired forward pack , He pretty much fails when he starts.

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Your naming players that havnt even played fg, tapau is playing against 20 year olds how the hell can you say he would be a better option, Danny williams is a 2nd rower which is why he has come in for halatau. Your another bloke that thinks fg and the nyc are the same or even close ffs 40 all draws lmao talk about a defenceless comp.
So let me understand your saying that these grades are useless and shouldnt be played because we cant compare fg to NSW cup to NYC. Whats wrong with you at one time or another every NRL player has played in these grades and when they go well there promoted. With someone who plays limited minutes and doesnt make inroards why are they in your fg team. Hickey was summed up in his first run of the game on Sunday ran hard for three metres got tired ran half paced for about another 8 metres got smashed and pushed back two metres and lost the ball.

Yeah lets keep promising players in reserves based on that

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Armit isnt a biscuit.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So let me understand your saying that these grades are useless and shouldnt be played because we cant compare fg to NSW cup to NYC. Whats wrong with you at one time or another every NRL player has played in these grades and when they go well there promoted. With someone who plays limited minutes and doesnt make inroards why are they in your fg team. Hickey was summed up in his first run of the game on Sunday ran hard for three metres got tired ran half paced for about another 8 metres got smashed and pushed back two metres and lost the ball.

Mate Taupau is playing against a bunch of 20 year olds. There is no way you can compare that to what he will face in FG. F*ck he played in a 40-40 draw over the weekend. Shows how p*ss poor the defense is in NYC. No one is doubting the kid has huge potential but this isn't the time to be throwing him into FG. Let him develop a bit more and come through NSW Cup against more solid opposition.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Dude how many nyc props get promoted straight to fg? If their not ready to play against men in the nsw cup they are not ready to play against men in fg, Their playing against 20 year olds, We are talking about props not centers and 5/8s.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh really? Fair enough. My mistake.

Just on Tim Browne and other guys in Reserves or Under 20's that most haven't seen play... And even those that have seen them play have to take into account how bad Premier League is and how big the gap is between that and the NRL. You can triple that effect when talking about the NYC.

Just because they're new and people might have hopes for them based on the press release from when we signed them doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than guys who have been in reserves/squad/rotation players for one or two years or more.

Hickey does disappoint me and I think he is a liability but obviously we don't have a suitable replacement that is ready for FG yet.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Buddy is best coming off the bench, He has a ****load more impact coming on against a tired forward pack , He pretty much fails when he starts.
He's more of an impact player but to be honest I think he's shown some good signs when starting as well. Whether it's his fitness or not I don't know but I wish last year and this season Tadpole would stick with him more because I like what I see when he's out there and think we're a more dangerous, versatile team when he's on the park. But in the end I don't care who starts too much really as long as the minutes are distributed correctly. And I hope Buddy gets more than the limited minutes he generally gets because I feel he deserves them.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont understand Moore's obsession with the NRL's worst prop hickey. Drops the ball, gets pushed back in tackles and gives away penalities
Also misses tackles, esp close to the line.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
He's more of an impact player but to be honest I think he's shown some good signs when starting as well. Whether it's his fitness or not I don't know but I wish last year and this season Tadpole would stick with him more because I like what I see when he's out there and think we're a more dangerous, versatile team when he's on the park. But in the end I don't care who starts too much really as long as the minutes are distributed correctly. And I hope Buddy gets more than the limited minutes he generally gets because I feel he deserves them.
38, 39, and 56 this year. Well above his 2009 average of 29.6

Btw, check out the Lookalike thread.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Problem with Buddy starting is we are left with Green, Armit and Hickey on the bench. Doesn't really give us the impact we need after about 20 mins. If we had another ball playing, impact second rower I would be happy for Buddy to start but as it is he needs to play the role which is best suited for the team.

I don't think him starting gives him more time on the field anyway. Either way I think he's getting around 30-40 mins which is prob all his match fitness allows him to play anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.