Canterbury recruit Michael Lichaa 'not trying to be Michael Ennis'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Canterbury recruit Michael Lichaa knows the inevitable question is coming about the man he was brought in to replace in the No.9 jersey. The comparisons have followed him since he announced he would join the Bulldogs from Cronulla. Now settled into his new colours, Lichaa has a point to prove.

"I'm training as hard as I can to make sure the next three years I can be at a level where I don't need to be compared to Michael Ennis and [people talk about] my game," he said.

As fate would have it, Ennis opted to join Lichaa's former club Cronulla on a two-year deal instead of taking up Canterbury's one-season option. Their round 20 encounter next year is already highly anticipated after the two engaged in a slanging match when they crossed paths earlier this year. Despite being 21, Lichaa is unnerved by the prospect of replacing the ex-Bulldogs skipper.

"That's what everyone wants to ask me about or they tell me there's big shoes to fill," Lichaa said. "I'm not focused on that. [The Bulldogs] bought me and I didn't sign here knowing that Mick was not going to be here. That pressure is not on me. I didn't make that decision, that was [coach] Des [Hasler's] choice. He is a good player and I respect him massively. I don't know him off the field at all and everyone says he is a good bloke. I respect him but I'm not trying to be Michael Ennis.

"The hard part about leaving the Sharks was all my good mates were there. It was easy in the fact that when I weighed up my options, a three-year deal under Des was something that was easy to persuade me. When I first met him, he told me I'm a good player but the way they will train will benefit me. He is 100 per cent right. Last year was a hard one at the Sharks with everything that went on. The intensity wasn't there at training and my fitness wasn't right."

While Lichaa may only be 15 games into his NRL career, he has his sights set on becoming an 80-minute player. He has also shed five kilograms as he battles with Damien Cook and Moses Mbye for the starting hooking role.

"The first four to five rounds if I'm in the team, will be difficult but that's for everyone," Lichaa said. "I know when Des coached at Manly and most of the time here there has only been one nine. The forwards we have, it would be hard to leave someone out because I'm not fit enough to play 80 minutes. That would be selfish on my part. I know I need to do the work for the team."

Lichaa grabbed a City origin jersey last season, having had a decorated junior career that included NSW under-18 and 20 selections plus a Junior Kangaroos spot. He said he is relishing a tough pre-season campaign.

"There's no getting away with anything," Lichaa said. "If you're in the gym you have heart rate monitors on so you know where you're at and how hard you're pushing yourself. Des is always looking for you to improve every week. I'm feeling much fitter. The culture is great. When we're training, there are no favourites. It doesn't matter if you've played 200 games or 20 games or coming up from 20s. If you make a mistake, Des will treat you the same no matter who you are. Everyone knows where they stand."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ying-to-be-michael-ennis-20141218-129zck.html

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope he is not trying to be ennis I want an attacking hooker.
( chill ennis lovers he's not a bulldog no more so don't get your hackles up when his attacking game is questioned )

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Starting with the right priorities by the sounds of it. Some good behind the fence insight into how training is and the intensity and everyone being on par. Dropped 5 kg's and head screwed on tight about needing to be 80mins player. I've been excited about this signing since it first came out, looking forward to a new style of footy hopefully with better passing service and fresher plays.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope he is not trying to be ennis I want an attacking hooker.
( chill ennis lovers he's not a bulldog no more so don't get your hackles up when his attacking game is questioned )
Boom!!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa's a young pup. He still has a lot to learn but he is on the right track. This time next year we'll be saying Ennis? Who the fock is Ennis? :grinning:

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm already saying that Vlasnik.

We have got ourselves the best young hooker in the game. If he can play a full 80 of the quality he played 50-60 for cronulla last year he is already better than Ennis

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa's a young pup. He still has a lot to learn but he is on the right track. This time next year we'll be saying Ennis? Who the fock is Ennis? :grinning:
As much as I agree, Ennis time was up at the Dogs, and I endorse the signing of a bright young prospect like Lichaa,
I will never be saying "Ennis who?"
Just like I would never say that about Steve Price, Terry Lamb, Darrin Britt, Steve Mortimer, or any of our club captains.

Every one of them served us well, in the time they were with us, including Mick Ennis,

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As much as I agree, Ennis time was up at the Dogs, and I endorse the signing of a bright young prospect like Lichaa,
Just like I would never say that about Steve Price, Terry Lamb, Darrin Britt, Steve Mortimer, or any of our club captains.

Every one of them served us well, in the time they were with us, including Mick Ennis,
Well said ....

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Dude you cant leave out bobcat like that

Reaction score
Ennis was great for us, sad to see him miss out on the grand final.

Lichaa looks really comfortable with his abilities, he looks confident and he looks like he knows what he's doing.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Price shouldnt of been let go though but I guess our salary cap couldn't keep him. Price was a aus and origin rep till 09 unlike ennis who is on his way out.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the start of the season through to origin will soon tell us if lichaa is going to make the grade, i do hope he is as good as the wraps on him, des knows what hes looking for and being a youngster we should have someone good for several seasons

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would have been ideal if Lichaa had at leat a year on the bench with Ennis here

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Would have been ideal if Lichaa had at leat a year on the bench with Ennis here
This! Even though I don't like Ennis, but it would of been good for Lichaa and the team.

What shits me is that 100% some people will judge him after 2-3 games.

I'll give him a full season before judging him.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
This! Even though I don't like Ennis, but it would of been good for Lichaa and the team.

What shits me is that 100% some people will judge him after 2-3 games.

I'll give him a full season before judging him.
ffs i cant guarantee that i wont say "ennis would have made that tackle" etc:(, dont hate me

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Go liccha! ... prove me wrong.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ffs i cant guarantee that i wont say "ennis would have made that tackle" etc:(, dont hate me
That's ok, as long as you also say "Ennis wouldn't have been able to do that" when lichaa sets up line breaks and tries scooting out of dummy half and we drop 50 points on some team?

I have no doubt Ennis is a better defender than Lichaa. But our team is full of good defenders. Now we just need to add some attacking weapons. Lichaa definitely could be one

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
when lichaa sets up line breaks and tries scooting out of dummy half and we drop 50 points on some team?
Sorry, but when was the last time he did that?

Status
Not open for further replies.