News Canterbury look at shifting Burton to free up his running game

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he could get a lot more consistent with his efforts he'd be much better off and so would the team.

If we see he is unlikely to develop elite 5/8 ball playing skill but perhaps have elite centre skills, then CC/ Gus would certainly be concerned about how far he can actually take the team. Might be a case of them realising they're unlikely to find the ideally suited 7 for him ever.....(all conjecture) :grinning:

So they've possibly decided to expand the 5/8 options and try others.

I still have faith in him but it's time to pull the finger out and for him yo start leading from the front every single play and every game.
He was signed on good money to be our 5/8 moving forward.

It is a BIG setback to our plans if he has to be moved ... halfback is a long way from being settled as well.

I still have some hope he can toughen up and perhaps play at 13 .... we have plenty of options at center.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

It is a BIG setback to our plans if he has to be moved ... halfback is a long way from being settled as well.

I still have some hope he can toughen up and perhaps play at 13 .... we have plenty of options at center.
Well there's still the fact that him and Taafe played junior rep halves together? Maybe that will get a run.

If he can step up his involvement he could still work out as our 6.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score

He'll be our 5/8

Think about it, how many centres do we have?

Tell me who our 5/8 will be?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No thanks. Taffe 1, Crichton and xerri centres.
With all these precision high bombs on the 4th, 5th tackle nowdays landing a metre out from the try line, Taafe is gonna find it difficult handling all those taller winger/centres zeroing in on him. He might not get fullback spot. Be interesting what CC decides. He's a good little effort player and will do well for us no matter what role he gets in 2024.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His contract was a huge fuckup but this will be so much better in the long run. Burton doesn’t have what it takes to be an elite 5/8. He doesn’t have any ball playing skills whatsoever, its literally the worst in the league and there is zero signs of any improvement. His skillset is much better suited at centre
Absolutely agree.
Problem is he is the only one who can really torpedo or kick longer than 50m so that screams "half".
"Skillset" is a stretch (how many times has he fucked the last pass or kicked it dead from in the 20)
He'll start the year at 6

doggy_dave

Waterboy
Reaction score
If Gus denies the Burton move to centre you know it’s true. And he will leak it to some journo like he’s done tonight about SST.
He would only leak to Danny Weidler or another Herald journo, not a Fox/Tele journo

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like bullshit. Maybe if Burton struggles again in the halves like he did last season, they eventually move him to centre later in the season but Sexton and Hutchinson isn't the combo to force such a move..

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he could get a lot more consistent with his efforts he'd be much better off and so would the team.

If we see he is unlikely to develop elite 5/8 ball playing skill but perhaps have elite centre skills, then CC/ Gus would certainly be concerned about how far he can actually take the team. Might be a case of them realising they're unlikely to find the ideally suited 7 for him ever.....(all conjecture) :grinning:

So they've possibly decided to expand the 5/8 options and try others.

I still have faith in him but it's time to pull the finger out and for him yo start leading from the front every single play and every game.
Agree...it's now or never for him as a 5/8.

This year he needs a "breakout" year at 5/8 which includes vast improvement in all facets of his game, especially his defence and ball playing (setting up outside players)

We all know he can run (albeit not enough) and he definitely has a kicking game that with some more practice could be exceptional

We are going to have plenty of strike in the outside backs and add Kikau and Preston into that equation we need a 5/8 that can unlock these guys

I have a feeling that with Gus setting up the halfback academy and stacking the juniors with outstanding halfback prospects the plan is for our next great number 7 to come from within in a couple of years time (also there is a drastic lack of quality halves out there). That being said, a young half would need an experienced 5/8 next to him and I think Burton was/is earmarked to be that player

Maybe the thinking has changed a bit and there is some doubt within the ranks if Burton is that player

IF......he was to be switched to the centres would we possibly then make a play for Luai to be that experienced 5/8 next to a young gun?

For me, I hope Burton steps up, gets a bit more killer instinct and takes the bull by the horns this year and turns into the player we know he can be

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I’d be willing to give Burton one more extended run as a 5/8, and if he can’t pump magic by origin then switch to Taafe or someone

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
huh? burton was originally a centre and a very good one.
Won a premiership playing there. Played origin there. And so far imo his best has been at centre. We do have a bunch more halves options next year. Not at any point have i been sold on Burton in the halves. His kicking game isnt enough reason by itself to play him in the middle.