News Canterbury look at shifting Burton to free up his running game

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magic Burton was a 5/8 coming through the grades. He originally played in the halves but Luai was performing better and a couple years older so he got the jump. All their centres were unavailable in early 2021 so Burton got a chance there and he went that good he remained there.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
didn’t he leave penrith for us because he was able to play 5/8? would he want to move back to center?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be moving Burton from five-eighth but he hasn't been good enough either. 750k reportedly a year to play centre going off 1 season at centre at Panther in a stacked team (everyone looks good at centre at Panther, then throw in he'll be in a team fighting to avoid the wooden spoon, I just don't see the value). I just don't think you can do it unless we had another marquee half and a young kid came through too (and even then might just be best to offload him).

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safe to say Matt Burton is centre of attention at the moment.
In all honesty why does this bloke never wanna run the ball ?
Did it ones against south’s reserve grade squad when we won.
That’s it .
We should trade him back to Penrith for Nathan Cleary that’s a fair trade .

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
huh? burton was originally a centre and a very good one.
Is he going to be that much better at centre than xerri, Crichton (if he fails at fullback), Kiraz? I’d say marginally.

and cause he has the biggest contract out of all them (besides maybe Crichton), you get rid of him. 5 8 money vs centre is likely the largest disparity there is.

you get rid of him if you think he’s a centre and you buy a proper 5 8, and for that reason, and I hate myself for saying this, you get Luai.